U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 03:09 AM

8,866 posts, read 10,330,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The whole time I watched it, I just kept thinking....."THIS movie won all kinds of awards? SERIOUSLY!?!?"

I guess I'm just not "sophisticated" enough to appreciate the artsy-fartsy, comentary-on-life kind of movies that The Oscars are all about....

Regardless, there's two hours of my life that I can never get back..... If you're one of these guys that walks around wearing a trench coat and a monocle, smoking a briar pipe with a british accent that can decipher all kinds of different messages from a painting, then maybe you'll like this film. Those are the types of people I envision raving about a film like this....

Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend this movie. Two thumbs way down.

If you saw it, please tell us what you thought......
I'm not one of those guys you describe. LOL! I loved it. I loved the grittiness. I loved how it portrayed backstage Broadway, so different from what the audience sees. The desperation of a former film star fighting with his own identity. I did not get the ending. I don't know what happened and that is frustrating.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 03:11 AM

8,866 posts, read 10,330,443 times
Quote:
I liked Boyhood ok, but it's nothing that I ever plan on watching again. I just thought it had a cool concept in that they did something that had never been done before, filming the movie over the course of 12 years. That's really the only reason I watched it to begin with. I certainly don't think it should have won any awards, but this seems to be the kind of movie that The Oscars are all about.

Birdman? Yeah, I would definitely re-consider. So boring and a complete waste of time. Put it this way, Boyhood was miles ahead of Birdman in my opinion, so that should tell you just how bad Birdman was.... again, in my opinion. We all have different tastes I guess.
I liked Boyhood but I don't think I could sit through it again. The concept was fabulous. I started to drift off about 2/3 through it but found my way back.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:11 AM

13,951 posts, read 10,327,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I'm not one of those guys you describe. LOL! I loved it. I loved the grittiness. I loved how it portrayed backstage Broadway, so different from what the audience sees. The desperation of a former film star fighting with his own identity. I did not get the ending. I don't know what happened and that is frustrating.
Well, if you're in to Broadway plays and theater and all that, I guess you may have an appreciation for this film. However, I'm not in to the theater, or plays, or musicals either so.... ( shrugs )

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I liked Boyhood but I don't think I could sit through it again. The concept was fabulous. I started to drift off about 2/3 through it but found my way back.
It was cool that they incorporated events like the elections that were actually going on in the country when that part of the film was recorded. Like I said, the main thing that Boyhood had going for it was it's concept and uniqueness. It wasn't necessarily a great movie with good storyline and dialogue. It was ok, not good, not bad either, for a one time watch.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:40 AM

13,951 posts, read 10,327,031 times
Oh, and I just thought of another criticism.....Zach Galifinakis in a serious role....? REALY!?!?!? lol, no.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:49 AM

2,431 posts, read 4,395,600 times
My parents walked out on it after half an hour and got their money back!!

Old 03-03-2015, 08:51 AM

12,089 posts, read 5,616,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

But often we see that weird kind of movies that not the majority likes, will win the Oscar so I don't care about choosing a movie based on who won although back in the days many good movies did win.
Well if it was the People's Choice Awards, you'd get to see all those shallow big blockbuster CGI movies that the american public eats up. The Oscar's are made up of an academy of film professionals, peers. They're voting on what actually matters, the art of a film. Not how good it did at the box office.

I wasn't a huge fan of Birdman, possibly because I already had my heart set on Boyhood so I was very disappointed with the Oscar's in terms of that. I did like Ed Norton in Birdman though, plays a very convincing jerk.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:36 AM

13,932 posts, read 13,588,503 times
Quote:
...there's two hours of my life that I can never get back. I wouldn't recommend this movie. Two thumbs way down.
I think that one would need to have followed Michael Keaton's career to enjoy this film (while I like Keaton, especially in "Beetlejuice," I'm not interested enough in how his acting opportunities declined after his role as Batman). And since it's about acting, a fall from grace, etc, etc, of course the Academy would love it.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:26 AM

15,103 posts, read 19,749,708 times
Actually, quite a lot of critics didn't like Birdman, especially outside the U.S.

Hollywood is a very "insider group," and they love nothing better than to give each other awards and tell each other how great they are.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:31 AM

12,752 posts, read 10,778,998 times
Birdman is no Gone With The Wind or Sound of Music....
besides being a dark movie, about a dark actor filmed with shoulder cameras,
ala Hill St. Blues.

Basically, who cares even about these characters!

It was an actors' movie...so they loved it, that's all.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:47 AM

1,498 posts, read 1,514,771 times
I'm not anything you've described and I thought the movie was fantastic. Yes I love theater and Broadway but my husband doesn't and he too thought it was great. He usually loves the big budget blockbusters but he saw the previews for Birdman and insisted on seeing it. We talked about it after it ended and we both loved it a lot. Michael Keaton was fantastic as was Emma Stone and Edward Norton. It may not be your cup of tea, and for that my friend I say stick with the big blockbusters but for those of us that actually value art in films, it is worth seeing. Sorry you didn't like it.
As for the other best pictures noms that I saw and I thought Boyhood was great but not something I'd watch over and over again. I really enjoyed Theory of Everything and could watch it again, same with Birdman. I watched Grand Budapest Hotel twice, the first time I fell asleep because I started watching at midnight, the second I watched all the way through. It was good but not my fav. I didn't see the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies