U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 08:00 AM

8,089 posts, read 6,384,514 times

Advertisements

Gallipoli
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 08:14 AM

9,599 posts, read 10,871,998 times
SevenThat was hard to watch in the end.
The Pledge with Jack Nicholson

Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 AM

339 posts, read 217,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Empire of the Sun...

the kid is completely broken by his experiences and ends up incapable of emotion.

One of my all time favorite movies.

Hmm...Empire of the Sun with a very young Christian Bale is one of my all-time favorite movies as well.

But I didn't really interpret the ending the same way you did. What made you think that "Jim" was forever going to be an emotional cripple because of his experiences while separated from his parents?

I mean, the final shot of the movie is just him smiling up at his mom. Sure, at that point he still might be a bit dazed and numbed from his ordeal, but I saw no reason not to believe he would heal in time and grow-up, to be a well-adjusted, smart and emotionally balanced kid. Mind you he had the fortune of still having both his parents. And also, was is experience really that horrifying. He was never beaten or raped of starved or even mistreated. He had friends--even though Lacey was sort of a tool--and he was popular. Event he Japanese POW Camp Commandant begrudgingly liked him.

"You....very difficult boy!" LOL

http://youtu.be/VNTQSbvlutg

Old 03-04-2015, 09:57 AM

6,015 posts, read 3,669,053 times
I tend to avoid sad movies, but anyway, Grave of the Fireflies. It was just tragic and heartbreaking on so many levels.

Oh and To Live, a Chinese film, equally tragic, if not more. A raw depiction of China in its darkest(or say, reddest) period. SO desperate.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:01 AM

815 posts, read 600,432 times
Easy Rider

Old 03-04-2015, 06:46 PM

9,752 posts, read 12,445,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I tend to avoid sad movies, but anyway, Grave of the Fireflies. It was just tragic and heartbreaking on so many levels.
This. Actually, the worst part is that the movie is based on a book, and the book was based on actual events. So yeah...it's even sadder when you consider that.

Isao Takahata's latest film, The Tale of The Princess Kaguya, is, to me, just as sad as Grave of the Fireflies, if not more so. It's also a masterpiece, so I recommend it despite the sadness. Absolutely brilliant film!

One more, non-animated: Stella Dallas. The ending is supposed to be happy-ish, but my God, it most definitely didn't strike me that way!

Old 03-04-2015, 09:20 PM

2,012 posts, read 2,091,036 times
HUGE SPOILERS:

A Moment to Remember:

The husband goes on a long journey to make his young wife remember. She has Alzheimer's disease and she has asked her husband for a divorce and for him to move on with his life.

He goes to see her. Takes her to the place they first met. For a moment, she remembers everything. They drove off in his jeep and he finally tells her what she always wanted to hear: "saranghae". She finally hears those words, with much happiness, she hugs him, both face to face as they drove off......For a moment, she remembered.

Daisy:

She wonders who this mystery man that has been sending her daisies. She has fallen for him but doesn't know who he is. Finally, she discovers who he is, only too late as she is in his arms, staring at him as her life fades away, she doesn't want to go but she doesn't have a choice...........she closes her eyes for the last time.

More Than Blue:

He's completely in love with his best friend but he keeps it to himself, knowing that he doesn't have much time left. He wonder who's going to be there for her once he's gone. He goes on a journey trying to find someone for her. Despite he knows exactly what he's doing, it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. Of course, it hurts, he's setting up the love of his life to marry another man. At her wedding, he walks the bride down the aisle and hand her over to her husband and he walks away

Godfather III:

The karma catches up to the powerful Mafia boss. The death of Michael's daughter, an innocent bystander. One of the most innocent of them all. Say what you want about that movie but what an emotional ending with Michael's silent scream. The pain of his daughter's death came through the tv screen. Then the music comes on and it flashes to happier times.......

Titanic:

When the members of the Titanic finally realize that the ship is actually sinking and that only death awaits most of them. I can not imagine the horror, the fear.......

The Last of the Mohican:

The look on Chingachgook's face as he watches from afar the murder of his son. The anger he leashes Magua.

Chingachgook makes a very moving speech for his dead son and talks about the end of the frontier and the new people...

A.I:

What a depressing, crushing ending. David longs for love, the love from his mother. Unfortunately, humans are all dead and gone. But the Mecha gave David what he always wanted but was this how his mother really feel? Or did the Mecha altered it just to give David a happy ending?

Old 03-05-2015, 04:40 AM

6,015 posts, read 3,669,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
This. Actually, the worst part is that the movie is based on a book, and the book was based on actual events. So yeah...it's even sadder when you consider that.

Isao Takahata's latest film, The Tale of The Princess Kaguya, is, to me, just as sad as Grave of the Fireflies, if not more so. It's also a masterpiece, so I recommend it despite the sadness. Absolutely brilliant film!
There were probably millions of similar stories happened around that time, that's the saddest part to me.

As for The Princess Kaguya, I have yet to see it, but I'm sure it's great. Ghibli Studio never disappoints, tbqh.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:27 AM

9,752 posts, read 12,445,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
There were probably millions of similar stories happened around that time, that's the saddest part to me.

As for The Princess Kaguya, I have yet to see it, but I'm sure it's great. Ghibli Studio never disappoints, tbqh.
Ugh, good point. Just a terrible situation all around.

Prince Kaguya is now my favorite Studio Ghibli film, and quite possibly my favorite film, period. It's that good, in my opinion!

Old 03-05-2015, 09:31 AM

2,012 posts, read 2,091,036 times
Forgot to mention:

Irreversible: All that work, all that anger, all that hatred, all unleashed...........only to the wrong guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies