U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:35 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,916,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
In 'Castaway' Chuck (Tom Hanks) had a soul crushing experience at the end of the movie when after being rescued at sea after leaving on a raft the island on which he had been marooned for years, and hoping to be reunited with his fiancé Kelly (Helen Hunt), he finds that she is married to another man. They both had been the love of each others life, but she thought she would never see him again and had to move on with her life. The thought of her had kept him going while he was on the island, and to find that he had lost her was soul crushing. But he bore it well.
Yeah, felt bad for him but it's still a happy ending for him, he's alive! And I'm sure he's thankful for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 08:56 AM

9,142 posts, read 15,383,231 times
Quote:
In 'Castaway' Chuck (Tom Hanks) had a soul crushing experience at the end of the movie when after being rescued at sea after leaving on a raft the island on which he had been marooned for years, and hoping to be reunited with his fiancé Kelly (Helen Hunt), he finds that she is married to another man. They both had been the love of each others life, but she thought she would never see him again and had to move on with her life. The thought of her had kept him going while he was on the island, and to find that he had lost her was soul crushing. But he bore it well.
What I found "soul crushingly" disappointing in that movie was the fact that he left the island at all. He had everything he needed to survive, and decided to risk his life on the open sea just because he was lonely for other people! If I were there all alone and had developed all the survival skills he had, I'd never try to leave the island. I'd just live contentedly. But I have no innate craving for the company of other people. They're fine in appropriate doses, but I could live quite nicely without them, if I had water, food, and shelter.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:14 AM

17,030 posts, read 12,488,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
What I found "soul crushingly" disappointing in that movie was the fact that he left the island at all. He had everything he needed to survive, and decided to risk his life on the open sea just because he was lonely for other people! If I were there all alone and had developed all the survival skills he had, I'd never try to leave the island. I'd just live contentedly. But I have no innate craving for the company of other people. They're fine in appropriate doses, but I could live quite nicely without them, if I had water, food, and shelter.
And a volleyball to talk to.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:32 AM

25,202 posts, read 20,142,821 times
True heartbreak is when you try to yell only to find you can make a sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyaDlIirJnw

Old 03-30-2015, 09:40 AM

7,558 posts, read 8,027,594 times
Angel Heart (1987) with Mickey Rourke.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:46 AM

12,545 posts, read 9,899,081 times
Glory.

After it was over, the house kept the lights down, and but for the sounds of sniffling and jagged sighs, the entire audience sat in silence for the duration of the credits. This was in Virginia, to boot.

History is history, and there could be no other ending to that particular movie. But it was devastating just the same.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Glory.

After it was over, the house kept the lights down, and but for the sounds of sniffling and jagged sighs, the entire audience sat in silence for the duration of the credits. This was in Virginia, to boot.

History is history, and there could be no other ending to that particular movie. But it was devastating just the same.
I was going to choose this movie as well. Excellent final scene. Minor correction: the final scene is at Fort Wagner near Charleston.

“Glory” Regiment Attacks Fort Wagner, 150 Years Ago — History in the Headlines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz3sZiVAO0k

Though this final scene leaves more or less with a sense of pride rather than sorrow.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:30 AM

Devastating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX1csOAu1IM

Old 03-30-2015, 11:00 AM

5,550 posts, read 3,174,974 times
Quote:
Yeah it was definitely sad, but in a way, he was also relieved and was able to move on as well.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:52 PM

349 posts, read 149,760 times
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry great action film but that ending is horrible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies