U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 11:17 AM

827 posts, read 410,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Blow. The end was just so sad and pathetic plus the fact that it was a true story.
Except, like most movies, it really departed from the true story. (At least, if you believe the book.) George Jung wasn't a drug dealer with a heart of gold, doing everything to try and connect with his daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 11:32 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,432,973 times
Legends of the Fall. Brad Pitt's wife dies, his brother dies, his former lover kills herself. Everyone in his life dies before him and they show him at the end, alone, as an old man and he gets killed by a bear. It's all very depressing.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:34 AM

15,026 posts, read 9,578,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
What I found "soul crushingly" disappointing in that movie was the fact that he left the island at all. He had everything he needed to survive, and decided to risk his life on the open sea just because he was lonely for other people! If I were there all alone and had developed all the survival skills he had, I'd never try to leave the island. I'd just live contentedly. But I have no innate craving for the company of other people. They're fine in appropriate doses, but I could live quite nicely without them, if I had water, food, and shelter.
A relative's poem:

SOLITUDE
Silence, silence everywhere
A bird dies in the empty air.
It's a hell of a theme to write about
For them who never tried it out.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:15 AM

41,256 posts, read 40,492,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Legends of the Fall. Brad Pitt's wife dies, his brother dies, his former lover kills herself. Everyone in his life dies before him and they show him at the end, alone, as an old man and he gets killed by a bear. It's all very depressing.
Oh good, now I don't have to watch it.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:17 AM

The 1932 movie "I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang" with Paul Muni. I threw a shoe at the TV.

"I Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaal"

Old 04-03-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedmountain View Post
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry great action film but that ending is horrible
I thought the ending was perfect!

Old 04-03-2015, 08:43 AM

32,946 posts, read 23,779,718 times
Here's my list - without spoilers:

Schindler's List - I went to the theater to see this and as the credits rolled, there wasn't a sound in the packed theater. No one even moved till every credit rolled. Dead silence except for a few sniffles from those who were crying.
Schindler's List (1993) - IMDb

The Kitchen Toto - absolutely the saddest movie I've ever seen and an excellent portrayal of the moral issues of colonialism.
The Kitchen Toto (1987) - IMDb

The Life of David Gale - excellent, heart breaking acting
The Life of David Gale (2003) - IMDb

Sophie's Choice - OMG - this was the first movie that I ever watched that left me literally sobbing. Not teary eyed - sobbing.
Sophie's Choice (1982) - IMDb

The Bounty - excellent (and more historically accurate) version of the famous "Mutiny on the Bounty" movie. Really humanizes all the characters. If you know the fate of the settlers of Pitcairn Island, the ending will break your heart.
The Bounty (1984) - IMDb

Hotel Rwanda - there is nothing that feels good and nothing that can comfort the soul when it comes to the Rwandan genocide.
Hotel Rwanda (2004) - IMDb

Sometimes in April - the only positive about this movie (other than the acting, which is great) is that it introduced me to Idris Elba, who is a fantastic actor. Now the star of the award winning series "Luther."
Sometimes in April (TV Movie 2005) - IMDb

Out of Africa - so hauntingly beautiful, and so sad.
Out of Africa (1985) - IMDb

Life is Beautiful - though the ending gives us hope, and though the first half of the movie is absolutely delightful, the underlying horror and sadness is ever present.
Life Is Beautiful (1997) - IMDb

Sophie Scholl - excellent film version of true events during WW2
Sophie Scholl: The Final Days (2005) - IMDb

I love sad movies. I'm sure I could come up with fifty titles if I thought about it long enough - maybe even 100.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:32 AM

The only time I was ever in a movie where the theater was in dead silence was after United 93. I doubt this is a spoiler--it ends with the view of the earth through the cockpit window and the sounds of the passengers yelling and trying to break the cockpit door. Then it goes black. No one said a word as we all left the theater.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:02 PM

2,740 posts, read 1,886,708 times
Twister..... I mean come on, was anyone else rooting for that dam tornado to suck up Helen Hunt???!

Old 04-03-2015, 01:17 PM

1,123 posts, read 661,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The only time I was ever in a movie where the theater was in dead silence was after United 93. I doubt this is a spoiler--it ends with the view of the earth through the cockpit window and the sounds of the passengers yelling and trying to break the cockpit door. Then it goes black. No one said a word as we all left the theater.
Just because of the subject matter I have never been able to bring myself to watch this film even though I know the director is top-notch & the passengers were heroic, it's too much....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies