Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:01 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,901,468 times

Advertisements

I searched Juno in this forum, and it came in both the Best as well as the Worst movie threads for 2007.
With a few reservations, I liked it very much.
What I liked:
Every performance, including very minor ones such as the jock who picked on (but secretly liked) Juno. Ellen Page was mesmerizing, perfect.
Justin Bateman was so good it hurt. Ditto Juno's dad and stepmom.
Michael Cera was good as well, but I need to see more of him because he was basically the same befuddled teen as he was in Superbad.
The production design--so colorful, clever, intriguing, funny it was distracting.
The not so good:
Okay, the dialogue was witty. Sharp. Incisive.
Sometimes it was too much so.
This ironic self-awareness stuff can get old. Some of the stuff that came out of Juno's mouth was way too precocious and precious for me.
OTOH
I did laugh out loud occasionally.
I certainly went along with the emotional scenes, as well.
All in all, a worthwhile film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 02:35 PM

22,847 posts, read 28,081,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I searched Juno in this forum, and it came in both the Best as well as the Worst movie threads for 2007.
With a few reservations, I liked it very much.
What I liked:
Every performance, including very minor ones such as the jock who picked on (but secretly liked) Juno. Ellen Page was mesmerizing, perfect.
Justin Bateman was so good it hurt. Ditto Juno's dad and stepmom.
Michael Cera was good as well, but I need to see more of him because he was basically the same befuddled teen as he was in Superbad.
The production design--so colorful, clever, intriguing, funny it was distracting.
The not so good:
Okay, the dialogue was witty. Sharp. Incisive.
Sometimes it was too much so.
This ironic self-awareness stuff can get old. Some of the stuff that came out of Juno's mouth was way too precocious and precious for me.
OTOH
I did laugh out loud occasionally.
I certainly went along with the emotional scenes, as well.
All in all, a worthwhile film.
I agree with you point for point.

Not one of the best movies ever made by any stretch. But definitely one of the best movies of 2007.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:32 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,365,421 times
Great movie.
I also agree with every point that cil made.
Also, the movie exposed me to the beautiful music of Kimya Dawson.
I had heard of the Moldy Peaches but Kimya never touched me until her music was put in Juno. A perfect match.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:23 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,601,871 times
So could you say it was the best stripper written movie of the year?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:26 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,365,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
So could you say it was the best stripper written movie of the year?
As far as I know, it definitely is.
I'd have to know which other '07 films were written by strippers, though.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:27 PM

305 posts, read 796,512 times
Ellen Page was on Oprah today and she was really cool. She is doing another movie produced by Drew Barrymore, should be a good one.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeyouhigher View Post
Ellen Page was on Oprah today and she was really cool. She is doing another movie produced by Drew Barrymore, should be a good one.
That is an interesting pairing.
According to this link, Barrymore will be directing. Wow.
link
Page, 20, will play a Texas teen who joins a female roller derby team much to the chagrin of her parents, who want her to pursue beauty pageants.
Well, if they can get the kind of screenplay that Juno had, it might be a success.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:31 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,641,970 times
Quote:
That is an interesting pairing.
According to this link, Barrymore will be directing. Wow.
link
Page, 20, will play a Texas teen who joins a female roller derby team much to the chagrin of her parents, who want her to pursue beauty pageants.
Well, if they can get the kind of screenplay that Juno had, it might be a success.

That sounds like it has a lot of potential. Maybe I'm just under the Juno spell, though. It was an excellent movie.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
That sounds like it has a lot of potential. Maybe I'm just under the Juno spell, though. It was an excellent movie.
I know what you mean.
I've been playing the soundtrack over and over--it complements the movie so well and kinda keeps the spell going.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:31 PM

520 posts, read 1,850,104 times
Quote:
I know what you mean.
I've been playing the soundtrack over and over--it complements the movie so well and kinda keeps the spell going.
It is a very interesting soundtrack. I listened to the 30-second snippets on iTunes and I could remember the scene when each song was playing. Not really my style of music but there is something that keeps drawing me back to it. I liked the duet with Ellen Page and Michael Cera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies