Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 08:55 AM

22,864 posts, read 28,131,911 times

Advertisements

First of the spin-off series. This surprised me: Desplat To Score "Star Wars: Rogue One" | News | Dark Horizons

John Williams will NOT be doing the score. And the Disneyfication of Star Wars continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 06:13 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,113,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
First of the spin-off series. This surprised me: Desplat To Score "Star Wars: Rogue One" | News | Dark Horizons

John Williams will NOT be doing the score. And the Disneyfication of Star Wars continues.
I hope Disney doesn't screw up the franchise. I wonder if one of the stand alone movies will be based on knights of the old republic?

Old 03-18-2015, 12:14 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,777,739 times
I cant wait to find out the tone of the movie from the real trailer of the movie.

As for the score, it's a spin-off and not the new trilogy plus he was mostly retired anyway so it can be different as the tone wouldn't be the same.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:55 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,753,619 times
Quote:

To the detriment of what? The great legacy of Episodes I-III?

Let's be honest - the 'disneyfication' of Star Wars began over there decades ago with the ridiculous Ewoks.

Star Wars (or, if you insist, A New Hope) was a great film. Sure, the acting was at times mediocre (but, hey, even Hamill wasn't as bad as Hayden Christensen) and the story a classic potboiler, really. But the effects were outstanding and the yarn as a whole was transcendental. It was a case of the whole being vastly greater than the sum of the parts.

The Empire Strikes Back was already moving away from this, with the unnecessary love interest and the injection of more comedic one-liners - but it made up for it with a stronger plot and terrific darkness.

After that? Well, at least Return of the Jedi was good compared to the subsequent trilogy. But after that mess, I'm hard-pressed to see how Disney could possible ruin the franchise. Sure, they can turn out bad films - so what? Don't watch them. I never bothered with the last one, and the two before that were forgettable. It doesn't change the epic greatness of the first two films, or of the first trilogy overall.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:18 AM

22,864 posts, read 28,131,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Let's be honest - the 'disneyfication' of Star Wars began over there decades ago with the ridiculous Ewoks.
Very much agreed. But this particular snowball has accelerated in the past couple of years, especially on TV. I'm hoping the new movies will steer clear of this, but the R2-Beach Ball we saw in the trailer makes me nervous.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,777,739 times
I don't like the Ewoks and Jar-Jar Binks. If we don't have either or a similar character in the new trilogy, I will be happy. I still don't know if I will love it as much as Empire Strikes Back.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:15 AM

13,575 posts, read 15,546,151 times
Quote:

John Williams will NOT be doing the score.
He's still alive? Who knew...

Old 03-19-2015, 01:16 AM

13,575 posts, read 15,546,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I hope Disney doesn't screw up the franchise.
You mean like goofing up episodes 4-6 with tacky, out of character CGI?

Old 03-19-2015, 07:00 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,113,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
You mean like goofing up episodes 4-6 with tacky, out of character CGI?
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies