U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 02:55 PM

42,262 posts, read 49,809,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
So somebody revived a thread about bad movies you love. Let's go in the opposite direction. what are the masterpieces/classics that you just can't get with, no matter how wonderful people say they are? I'll start with:

What are the great ones you think are less than great?
Pretty much any Taratino film.
Pretty much any Oliver Stone film.
Pretty much every movie voted Best Picture since 1997.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 03:00 PM

9,353 posts, read 8,747,711 times
Citizen Kane

Old 10-28-2015, 05:50 PM

206 posts, read 167,260 times
I'm glad someone other than myself doesn't care for Woody Allen. He is so highly respected and I've never seen it. I never thought he was very humorous (where's the humor??) and he comes across to me as creepy. Apparently, I was right.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:12 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,530,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap_Shot View Post
Wow--I don't think I've ever met anybody who hated Top Gun. LOL. Even a woman.

Or Platoon, which most combat veterans say is the most realistic war movie ever made. And won an Oscar.

American Beauty, I can understand. I hated it when I first saw it, but then gave it another chance and it grew on me. Chris Cooper is the most underrated actor of our time.

My list..........

Lost In Translation.....My jaw literally DID drop and how bad it was. And the thing is there was so much hype about it when it came out. How good it was. So I just sat there waiting for something (anything!) to happen. And it never did. To this day I am totally dumbfounded at how anyobdy can think it is good. Maybe somebody who reads this and liked it can explain it to me?

The English Patient...Same Deal. SOOO slow. A chick flick masquerading as a war movie. I think they make insomniacs watch this movie as therapy. LOL

Eraser Head....The most disturbing movie or ANY piece of so-called entertainment I ever saw. If I met David Lynch I might have to kick his butt for all the bad dreams it gave me. LOL

Home Alone....Wow. Just, wow. For years and years this p.o.s. was the top-grossing movie EVER! Somebody must have soled their soul to the devil to make this possible. Again, I just don't get it. Maybe somebody can explain how this kiddie movie could have been a top-grosser?

The Sheltering Sky....Another head-scratchingly terrible movie that got great reviews. Mostly from art-house snob types. Some critics say Bowles books are tough to make into film. This might be the best example of that. I wanted to punch the Debra Winger character in the face at the end of that movie. A shameless w.h.0.r.e who wanted sympathy and felt herself a victim. WTF?
I almost added "Lost In Translation" until I realized that I found the underground youth culture of Japan interesting. Thought the rest of it was over-rated.

"Eraser Head"... just horrid in every way.

.... I do love "Home Alone", though.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:43 PM

898 posts, read 656,471 times
I just can't get the point of It's A Wonderful Life. Every year at Christmas I turn it on and only last 10-15 minutes. I think I need psychological help.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:13 AM

31,216 posts, read 57,343,818 times
Silence of the Lambs. The movie came to an end, and I was left saying: "So what"? Same with acclaimed movies adapted from Stephen King's stuff: The Green Mile, The Shining.

The Piano put me to sleep.

The Lion King was typical smarmy Disney fare.

Pretty much any musical - I heartily dislike the genre, with very few exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish437 View Post
I'm glad someone other than myself doesn't care for Woody Allen. He is so highly respected and I've never seen it. I never thought he was very humorous (where's the humor??) and he comes across to me as creepy.
I've tried to like his movies -- some of them I did (Radio Days, Bullets Over Broadway, Sleeper, Hannah and Her Sisters), but most I did not. I hated Purple Rose of Cairo with the fire of a thousand suns.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:51 PM

693 posts, read 756,759 times
Default Great movies you just can't stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Avatar - the blue meanies in Sgt. Pepper were more entertaining.
Whatever that was with Fiennes in a concentration camp. Overkill of a genre that had been overkilled.
The Artist - one of the few movies that I just plain shut off.
Ordinary People - those are Ordinary??? Could not relate to the characters in any way except to hope that a serial killer got 'em all in the end.
Most Stephen King movies. Don't find them entertaining
Food Inc. - horribly biased and idiotic treatment of a serious subject
One that I used to like but now find camp - Grapes of Wrath
I enjoyed The Artist.It was different from the usual run of Hollywood garbage. It was based on the begining of the talkie era in Hollywood. My dad who grew up in the 20s and early 30s could remember seeing silent movies. He also mentioned seeing I think it was Zorro with Douglas Fairbanks Sr. having sycronized sound.The music , etc.was on a reckon that was to be played in time to the film action. Many times the person playing these records didn't always synch them at the right times.
The movie with Ralph Feinnes is probably The English Patient. I went to see it,and it made me very sad at the end.
Why,because my late father was in North Africa during WW2.He spoke of Shepherd's Hotel in Cairo and the rock paintings in the desert.
Didn't really care for the first Jurrasic Park among other films.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:10 AM

847 posts, read 1,175,663 times
The Big Lebowski- I am a big Jeff Bridges fan, but I have no idea why this film is considered to be 'iconic' . He and John Goodman are the only good actors in the film.

Any of the Transformers movies, except for the first one, are terribly boring.

I couldn't get into Righteous Kill with Robert De Niro and Al Pacino. I fell asleep in the middle of it.

I am a fan of Russell Crowe but Noah and A Beautiful Mind were not all that great.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:27 PM

787 posts, read 528,396 times
stealing some of the already posted ones:

Star Wars - I saw them. They are ok. I just don't get why people are still obsessed with these movies 40 years after it came out. What is the obsession with this film of all films that makes grown men dress up like idiots?

Big Lebowski - I didn't even think it was good

10 commandments - It's on TV once a year but I feel like it's overplayed. I saw it once or twice and I just can't sit through it again

2001: Space Odyssey - I only just saw this within the past year because I heard great things about it. It's a piece of garbage if you ask me. I wanted my 2 hours back

Fargo - OK movie. Not sure why this won so many awards. And I really like the Coen Brothers too but this was not one of their best.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:57 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,437,837 times
I have walked out on two movies as I recall: The Horse Whisperer and Harry Potter. Just my style. Id rather see **** get blown up I guess. Though documentaries are often my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or