Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 11:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Thank God they didn't re-edit the films to remove cigarettes.. Wasn't there some movie where that was done a few years back? I know ET they edited the guns out.

I have no problem with 'directors cuts' that add footage.. But you don't change or remove things.
I don't know if there are exceptions for going forward like say the caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland smoking hookah in Through the Looking Glass (personally I would be for some limited exceptions if they are important to the story or iconic like the caterpillar.) As for removing cigarettes, it would be hard to do that in animated films which is where this happened quite a lot. Pinocchio, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland (1953), 101 Dalmatians, and Atlantis: The Lost Empire are ones that featured smoking and on newer pressing featured the PSAs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 05:44 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Well, for example, would they appreciate what a "Mae West" is?

Such is a term when I have a chance to use it in class, I don't. But as it is, I heard it used in "The In-laws" tonight. I know what it meant, especially English mixed in Chinese, but would these young-ins know?

Old 03-28-2015, 10:51 AM

709 posts, read 765,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yes when they were somewhat relevant. I think those who are about 10 years or younger than I would wonder what older technology was, me I knew a lot of it by what I was exposed to as a kid.
I have no idea what you are trying to convey. Is grammar also an anachronism now?

Old 03-28-2015, 10:55 AM

709 posts, read 765,916 times
What about those strange things that had motor-driven spinning platters, and you would put these black plastic disks on them, put a needle on the disk, and music would come out from speakers?

Old 03-28-2015, 10:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
This wouldn't seem to be any more of an issue than people of any era watching something set in the past - Gone With The Wind, The Lion In Winter, Quest For Fire, and so forth.
Exactly.
I recognize everything from movies set in other time periods. Why wouldn't kids today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies