Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 07:44 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
You are onto something here. But alot of times, the quality of writing is not good either on TV. Especially since alot of the TV series are created with idea in mind that they might be cancelled the next season.
One culprit that we have now is Once Upon A Time. Oh boy the inconsistencies are so glaring.
Yeah, but Once Upon a Time is basically just a 45 minute commercial for the Disney catalogue.

There is very little worth watching on the traditional Big Four networks. They too are basically just producing manufactured product. But if you go to cable or some of the other pay outlets ... we are currently chin deep in a new Golden Era of television. Just in recent years ...

THE SOPRANOS
THE WIRE
BREAKING BAD
JUSTIFIED
SONS OF ANARCHY (although that one went on about 3 seasons too long)
THE AMERICANS
BETTER CALL SAUL
GAME OF THRONES
HOMELAND
SHERLOCK
THE NEWSROOM
DAREDEVIL (way better than any of Marvel's movies)
UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT
HOUSE OF CARDS
DOCTOR WHO (although it is time for Moffat to move on)
THE WALKING DEAD (all too often falls into THE WHINING DEAD, but when it is good it is really good)

And those are just the ones I've seen. There's a whole laundry list of good stuff I haven't gotten round to watching yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 07:51 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,835,302 times
I can do without comic book character based films. I do not read comics and have not done so since ages 10-12. Cannot relate to them either as an adult as they are for children.

As for sequels of original films or sequels of sequels, well as stated it depends on the story. I suppose there are good sequels out there. None recently come to mind but there must be. Most tend to be wooden or forced acting and stories.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:57 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I can do without comic book character based films. I do not read comics and have not done so since ages 10-12. Cannot relate to them either as an adult as they are for children.
Personally, I take Ebert's stance on entertainment like comic book movies(4:26)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky9-eIlHzAE
Last decade, most comic book movies (and most summer season movies) were disposable and not really worth watching, but I respect the recent Marvel movies and their attempt at maintaining a solid continuity, culminating in a major event a few years from now.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:17 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
The original Swedish Insomnia was fantastic. Very creepy, and disorienting (to simulate the effects of sleep depravation). So was Infernal Affairs, except I also liked the remake (The Departed).

The way I see it, remakes can improve on the original, or they can give publicity to the original for those who missed it the first time. Blockbuster reboots and sequels don't necessarily bother me anymore, because there have been some interesting ideas (spearheaded by Marvel) to make them less predictable.

A few years ago, the creative output from Hollywood was grating, but things seem to be improving, from my POV.
The foreign remakes are a bit hit and miss just as remakes and re-imaginings period. It depends on script writers, directors, producers and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
In terms of real quality, the movies aren't doing much these days. All the quality stories are on TV.

I read a movie critic a year or two ago who summed it up pretty well: "There were some good movies that came out last year. But I didn't see a single movie that was half as good as the last five episodes of Breaking Bad."

All the really talented writers are now working in TV, and it shows. Movies are basically manufactured product. Quality storytelling still survives on TV.
I think TV is a bit better when looking at full arcs but they are two different media. Movies are limited to up to three hours. Tv gets 22 or 48 minutes for 8, 13 or 22 weeks. Much more time. Movies are limited in time so there is a bit less character development. The only thing movies gets more of is a budget for directors, actors, effects and stunts. There are only so many writers that do both movies and tv too, most are one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
You are onto something here. But alot of times, the quality of writing is not good either on TV. Especially since alot of the TV series are created with idea in mind that they might be cancelled the next season.
One culprit that we have now is Once Upon A Time. Oh boy the inconsistencies are so glaring.
Once Upon a Time's problem IMO is that they do half season arcs and then just go into the next arc.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think TV is a bit better when looking at full arcs but they are two different media. Movies are limited to up to three hours. Tv gets 22 or 48 minutes for 8, 13 or 22 weeks. Much more time. Movies are limited in time so there is a bit less character development. The only thing movies gets more of is a budget for directors, actors, effects and stunts. There are only so many writers that do both movies and tv too, most are one or the other.
Yep. Which is part of the problem. Movies get a superior budget for special effects, actors, settings, etc., so they think that is what's most important. That's all just window dressing. Get a good story with good writing, and all the rest just adds to it.

But movies don't seem to give a flying flip about good story or good writing. It's all about the special effects and the stars. Which is why movies are so bad today and TV is so spectacular. TV knows they have no money for special effects or A-list stars, so they make up for it by giving us a great story.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:51 AM

98 posts, read 88,402 times
It's money in the bank for studio execs. Far less risk than a brand new movie.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSpell View Post
It's money in the bank for studio execs.
Actually it isn't. The number of people going to the movies is shrinking more and more every year.

Fewer Americans Go to the Movies - WSJ

Old 04-24-2015, 11:44 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,222 times
I get tired after they make 3, 4, 5 or more sequels. I just usually loose interest and most of the time they're not as good as the first. Some cases, they actually get better. Still get bored with it though. Remakes I don't mind, if they do a good job on it. There's lots of good old movies that if remade right, with today's graphics could be amazing.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:03 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Personally, I take Ebert's stance on entertainment like comic book movies(4:26)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky9-eIlHzAE
Last decade, most comic book movies (and most summer season movies) were disposable and not really worth watching, but I respect the recent Marvel movies and their attempt at maintaining a solid continuity, culminating in a major event a few years from now.
Funily I find that John Simon's view on movies like The Empire Strikes Back, the issue that those who detract from comic book and even typical popcorn movies like say a Predator. If Simon thought Star Wars movies in the 1970's/80's releases was 90% special effects, I'd hate to see what he thought about say Iron Man or Jurassic Park. Those movies and the Star Wars movies all had a meaning behind them that critics like Simon overlook because of the action and the effects in them.

I disagree that comic book movies were entirely disposable until the Marvel movies (I'm guess the MCU and more recent X-Men movies) because the first two Reimi Spider-Man movies had pretty good reviews as did the Nolan Dark Knight trilogy and the first two X-Men movies.

Quote:
Yep. Which is part of the problem. Movies get a superior budget for special effects, actors, settings, etc., so they think that is what's most important. That's all just window dressing. Get a good story with good writing, and all the rest just adds to it.
The time is the issue with story telling. The movie may have a superior budget but the story can't be told over a season so it will have FAR less time to move the story compared to TV. The Purge as a series would likely delve into the past of the reason for it to be added (which it was in The Purge: Anarchy) before you get into the actual purge while as the movie the first one was just about 1/8th of the movie in before the purge started with only a minor explanation of it.

Quote:
But movies don't seem to give a flying flip about good story or good writing. It's all about the special effects and the stars. Which is why movies are so bad today and TV is so spectacular. TV knows they have no money for special effects or A-list stars, so they make up for it by giving us a great story.
I think companies just want a successful movie no matter the budget. The Purge movies were low budget ($3 million for the original and $9 million for its sequel) but yet made $88 and $100 million with only Ethan Hawke and Frank Grillo (more known from Captain America: The Winter Soldier) for star power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSpell View Post
It's money in the bank for studio execs. Far less risk than a brand new movie.
Yeah, especially when you have less success from mid-budget movies. You typically make money from low budget or high budget now.

Quote:
Actually it isn't. The number of people going to the movies is shrinking more and more every year.

Fewer Americans Go to the Movies - WSJ
Yes but when we go, it's to the ones that make 70 million or more in an opening weekend. I mean out of those seeing Avengers next week, most of them will only see 3/4 other movies that year in theaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
I get tired after they make 3, 4, 5 or more sequels. I just usually loose interest and most of the time they're not as good as the first. Some cases, they actually get better. Still get bored with it though. Remakes I don't mind, if they do a good job on it. There's lots of good old movies that if remade right, with today's graphics could be amazing.
If there is a story to be told. For Iron Man, Iron Man 3 itself pretty much wrapped up the standalone Iron Man stories other than that opened up from All Hail The King, a one-shot.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:44 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

I disagree that comic book movies were entirely disposable until the Marvel movies (I'm guess the MCU and more recent X-Men movies) because the first two Reimi Spider-Man movies had pretty good reviews as did the Nolan Dark Knight trilogy and the first two X-Men movies.
I did say most comic book movies-- you listed the notable exceptions. Also, I'd include Ang Lee Hulk, which had good writing, but was overall poorly executed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies