U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 10:31 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,533,198 times

Advertisements

So where do you usually like to sit in a theater.

When I know it is going to be packed (Avengers, etc) me and my wife like to sit at the aisles as we don't want to disturb anyone when we go on restroom breaks.

Etiquette:
Obviously people like to save a spot between them and other people. There have been a handful of times that the theater has announced that people please "squeeze" in and take up all the seats because it is a sold out show.

What are your thoughts. Should late arriving people get the benefit of others accommodating them or should they have to split up since they didn't arrive in a timely manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 10:53 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,838,891 times
I almost always arrive to a movie early, and it's almost always a movie that's been in theaters for a number of weeks, so there are fewer in attendance. So I usually get my preferred spot ... center of the back row.

I can only think of one instance that I attended a movie that was packed (and it's been a long time) so I don't really have an opinion on your etiquette question. The only thing I would say is that if I know it's going to be crowded, I'll be more likely to take an aisle seat. And I ain't moving in for anyone. LOL. If they want to sit somewhere in particular or with the people they want to sit with, they should have arrived earlier. Don't come to a movie as the previews are starting and expect to get the seats you want. Show up that late and you have to take what you can get.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:55 AM

14,698 posts, read 8,497,826 times
People go to movies?

Old 05-12-2015, 11:04 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,533,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
People go to movies?
You're surprised by this even though this is a Movie board

Old 05-12-2015, 11:12 AM

22,896 posts, read 16,281,876 times
All of the movie theaters in my neighborhood have changed over to reserved seating with food service.
The seats recline fully (with footrests) so there is a ton of room in front and in back to allow for passage once the foot rests are extended.

Whether you buy your tickets online or at the box office, you have to choose your seat when you buy your ticket.

As I always prefer to sit in the middle, I only attend those shows that give me that option.

It's so civilized.
No more rush to get the seat I want.
No more having to arrive at the theater ridiculously early to get the seat I want.
No more having to move to accommodate late-comers.

It's a very good thing.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:13 AM

2,086 posts, read 2,111,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
So where do you usually like to sit in a theater.
Theaters in the DC area are increasingly going to the large leather recliners instead of the small traditional movie seats. They are awesome, and give you plenty of room regardless if someone is sitting next to you. They are also sold in pairs, so that my wife and I can raise the middle arm rest and cuddle.

I like to sit three rows deep in the center. This is closer than most people like to sit, so it gives me a slight advantage when reserving seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
What are your thoughts. Should late arriving people get the benefit of others accommodating them or should they have to split up since they didn't arrive in a timely manner.
It always annoys me when people show up late no matter what. If I have my seat staked out already there's no way I'm moving to accommodate them because they were late. Thankfully, with reserved seats it's not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
People go to movies?
Yes, this is a movie forum, you know? Even though I have an incredible home theater there's nothing like a truly big screen and sound only a professional theater can provide. Why don't you either add something to the thread or keep out of it?

Old 05-12-2015, 11:55 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,856,890 times
I'm one of those that likes to get to the movies early so I can get the seats I want. I've had a few instances where theater staff have asked us to squeeze in and if it is just a single seat, I generally don't have a problem. I did have an instance where it would have moved me 4 seats over and I told the theater staff to pound sand. The kid just looked at me dumbfounded. I explained that I got to the movie 30 minutes early so I could get this seat and now you have people rolling in right at the start of the movie expecting to get good seats for their party of 6, you can put them in the corner for all I care, but I'm not moving. Then other people who were starting to move, sat back down in their original seats and said the same thing. Frankly, you show up to a hot movie during the previews on opening weekeend, I don't care if you sit on the floor, but I'm not moving.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:37 PM

3,064 posts, read 5,604,839 times
Always ask, "is that seat open?" People get it and will move down on to make room for you and your date.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:51 PM

9,277 posts, read 9,237,070 times
I like to sit toward the front, and also on the aisle - although for very different reasons. I like to be able to leave, first, if something is going very wrong in the audience (I once had a creep with his hand on my knee), or if something is going wrong with the film so that the projectionist needs to be alerted.

If by squeezing in, you mean moving, I think it's rude to ask people to move, and sometimes I've just said no. Especially if moving would inconvenience me by, for instance, putting me behind someone taller than I am.

I've never had a movie theater request that, only individuals. But I try never to go to packed theaters.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:59 PM

17,889 posts, read 54,207,525 times
From the point of view of a long time in the industry -

The staff is incorrect in trying to move people, with a very few exceptions. The exceptions would be a customer with a seeing eye dog, or someone with a full leg cast. Both of those need aisle seating.

It is the responsibility of management to keep track of seating and advise customers of what to expect. Even before computerized ticketing we knew how many seats were left in an auditorium and had break points where we ANNOUNCED "Ladies and gentlemen, 'Honey Boo-boo Does Dallas has only single or scattered seats and front seats available. If this is a problem, tickets for the next show go on sale at ...'"

When I designed the ticketing software I sell, seat countdowns and warnings were a major part of the design. Cashiers know to the seat how many are available, and in assigned seating the automatic seating seeks best seating first, fills alternate rows next to limit the "woman with hat" problem, then starts filling in.

The only times we used to ask folks to move over were in specific films. With "Love Story" if a couple showed up, we might ask if the folks in a row were willing to move over so they could cry together, or in a horror film so they could scratch each other in terror instead of anyone else. That was more to build ambiance and the schtick of the show than anything else.

As for a GROUP of people coming in late? Hell no. If anything a late group was very inclined to be (drunk and/or) rowdy if put together and splitting them up was a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies