U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 05:06 PM

291 posts, read 186,777 times

Advertisements

Which movie do you absolutely love and absolutely hate at the same time? Which movie, if you were asked to score out of ten, would you give both 10 and 1?

For me there is only one: Basic Instinct. First of all, Michael Douglas has always been for me a love and hate actor. He has great acting technique. But his delivery style just irks me. Anyway. Believe it or not the first thing that I hate about Basic Instinct is all the nudity. Not from a moral viewpoint. Rather, it's just yawn and blah to me. I don't find the movie interesting either as a plot.

But when I watched Basic Instinct again last night I realised that I like this movie. I like it a lot. Because Basic Instinct to me creates such an impact. All the nude scenes are not bonkfest for the sake of it. Each one shows the animalisation of the human being. The parts that you could laugh at such as Michael Douglas saying that "she was the f&*^ of the century" made me laugh at first. I mean, which century lol? But the body on body and the wild physical raptures create something that in my opinion is a true artistic expression of human debasement. That scene where Sharon Stone [ or to be precise her body double] is arched up in the air and her breasts stick out is so like a zoo animal posture. For a moment she for me stops being a human. I absolutely love that as an artistic impact. I've never seen that done as well in any other movie.

Basic Instinct for me has to go down [ what a pun lol] as a classic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 04:03 AM

3,115 posts, read 2,247,864 times
COME AND SEE
A great film about the Einsatsguppen units in WWII that will absolutely crush your spirits. Really. Its not Saving Private Ryan or some such tripe.

THIS IS ENGLAND
Same as above. A great film about how the skinheads went from being a multicultural youth group to a violent, racist, destructive force. Also paints a very real picture of brainwashing, but man, it gets tough to watch at the end.

I would include any number of horror films that contained great ideas and images that were just ineptly carried out. They would include but not be limited to:

SUSPIRIA
PHANTASM
THE BEYOND
HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY
THE CHILDREN
WITHOUT WARNING
EXCORCIT II: THE HERETIC
etc.

BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA is one of my favorites, primarily because it is such a misanthropic train wreck that it is more like watching someone's pathology spilled out on screen than watching an actual movie. It is an extra special moment when Alfredo Garcia's entire family, men, women and babies, and massacred with a Tommy gun.

MARTIN. One of George Romero's lesser known films about a sick young man who dreams about being a vampire, even though he knows that he is really just a rapist and a murderer. The film is very honest in presenting the question of why we like horror as a genre, when we are essentially watching some very nasty things.

THE VANISHING (original Dutch version)
A very tightly wound thriller that is none-the-less uselessly sadistic, with a stupid, unsatisfying ending. Ultimately I would not have shared the protagonist's need to know, and would have been plenty happy torturing the killer to death.

BULLET IN THE HEAD
Almost one of John Woo's Hong Kong classics, it goes on waaaay too long, the action gets a little too ridiculous, and the movie lacks a great protagonist such as Chow Yun Phat. Stick with THE KILLER or A BETTER TOMORROW.

THE DEAR HUNTER
Funny, I was reminded of this by BULLET IN THE HEAD. Generally considered a great film, PLATOON was made a s direct protest against this an APOCYLYPSE NOW, because it says absolutely nothing about the experience of the ordinary combat soldier in Viet Nam.

I could actually go on and on...good thread!

Old 06-01-2015, 06:13 AM

16 posts, read 11,044 times
I love any movie that gives Dennis Hopper a chance to ham it up like that.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:21 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,822,151 times
In And Out -- hilarious, love Kevin Kline and Tom Selleck in it, its is so full of cliches and politically incorrect

Old 06-02-2015, 02:30 AM

8,964 posts, read 4,891,598 times
Hmmmmm, a movie to say a 10 and a 1 about? That sounds like the premise of "Absolute garbage.......but think about it for a moment.".

Well, there is one movie that fits this description in "Great title, wonderful box cover, but lousy movie"...........but if I named it in public, I'd probably get an infraction and I'm not looking for that!

Okay, at least two. One was Creature (1985) - IMDb . They say there are movies that are better watched drunk but I don't think even that could help this one. The looseness of the crew seems to be more about a cast that was having fun playing the movie than actually doing the movie......to say nothing about having in the plot pulling from some other movie. So what was good about it? The concept of the security officer having been on missions a little bit too long and being strung out.............and Buckley Norris's scene.

Secondly, Deathstalker II (Video 1987) - IMDb . There are some in name only sequels that are still decent, like "American Psycho II: All American Girl"..................and then there is this movie. A weak hero, a ditzy damsel in distress, subplots all over the place, a top heavy femme fatale, more Amazons (& more of an Amazon) than one can count, etc, etc, etc. It's the type of movie to watch when you are just absolutely fed up with day time TV and there is nothing else to see. And it's high point is? It has a wonderfully handsome villain to die for.

Finally, despite what others who know movies of this era might say, I still rate Solar Crisis (1990) - IMDb quite high, get it out every so often to watch it again and dream.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:26 AM

11,096 posts, read 6,283,494 times
Schindler's List. It was an amazing movie, but it is so sad and so brutal, I've only been able to watch it once.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:38 AM

15,166 posts, read 19,812,140 times
A ludicrous story whose premise makes no sense whatsoever. Horrible acting. Even worse dialogue. And infused with a hippy earnestness utterly lacking in self-criticism. One of the worst hit movies ever made, and I absolutely love every scene from beginning to end.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:26 PM

13,349 posts, read 16,608,396 times
Re: Billy Jack ...

Haha, I must've watched this 10x when I was a kid.
This and Walking Tall.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:25 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,564,748 times
I don't think there's anything I "absolutely" love/hate with 1/10, but I do have violently opposing feelings about It's a Wonderful Life. I love individual moments, but I think there are some very unpleasant messages.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:21 PM

25,505 posts, read 14,616,454 times
Green Lantern because it got so many things right but you had Paralax as a cloud and Blake Lively sucked as Carol Ferris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or