U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 08:56 AM

9,785 posts, read 7,102,126 times

Advertisements

We went to the local drive in last night to see Mad Max. I was so pumped to see this movie. I had seen a trailer for it over the Winter and was blown away. Well......

The only thing that was "blown away" was the script, the character development, the dialog.... The movie was a mess that didn't make any sense. The outrageous "cars" were pretty over the top and the explosions were HUGE but I think a modern audience needs a bit more unless that audience is a bunch of 13 year old boys which seemed the target yet this movie has an R rating.

The talented Charlize Theron was wasted and her character could have been played by anyone. The other actors were unknown. I hoped to see a cameo by Mel Gibson but he probably recognised that to appear in this mess might be the final nail in his career coffin.

If you like car/ truck/ jalopy/ thing with wheels and flames chase movies with lots of explosions then I would say check it out when it comes on DVD but otherwise what a clunker.

The original Max movies are better.

Has anyone seen this one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 05:31 AM

16 posts, read 10,957 times
I love all the barely audible dialogue that has no significance but was just hilarious.
Like when Max is strapped onto the car and you can just about hear him say "FIRST THEY TOOK MY BLOOD AND NOW MY CAR".

Old 06-01-2015, 12:27 PM

76 posts, read 56,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The talented Charlize Theron was wasted and her character could have been played by anyone.
I've been very perplexed by Charlize Theron's roles in the last 10 years or so. She's incredibly talented and obviously has the blond statuesque looks -- but seems like she's making poor choices in her film projects. She could have easily stole the role that Sandra Bullock had in "Gravity".

She was decent in "Snow White and the Huntsman" but that was a boring movie. She had a minor role in "Prometheus" so it was just a blip on her resume. Havent seen her in "Mad Max" but sounds like it's another dud for her. She played the love interest in that goofy Seth McFarlane comedy western but again it was just a generic "meh" role.

Seems like she's stuck in a weird place --- too old to be taking roles that go to Jennifer Lawrence or Anne Hathaway --- but too young to steal roles given to Meryl Streep or Julianne Moore?

I wish she would take on the role of Ripley for an Aliens franchise reboot. Sigourney Weaver is just too old to play that role anymore, and Charlize would be a fantastic choice. Don't even mention Angelina Jolie or I'm gonna smack ya!

I look back on great characters she played in "Monster" and "Sweet November" and I wonder why her career kinda fizzled.

Last edited by Grand-Pooba-9; 06-01-2015 at 12:36 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 01:15 PM

5,591 posts, read 2,427,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand-Pooba-9 View Post
Havent seen her in "Mad Max" but sounds like it's another dud for her.
Watch the movie. It's her best role in years.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:49 PM

13,349 posts, read 16,514,328 times
Charlize was awesome in Mad Max.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:59 PM

9,351 posts, read 5,174,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand-Pooba-9 View Post
I look back on great characters she played in "Monster" and "Sweet November" and I wonder why her career kinda fizzled.
she was great in both of those films, and in my opinion, I thought she was fantastic in mad max.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:18 PM

12,618 posts, read 10,725,246 times
Funny all I needed to see was her shaved head and dirty face to not care
to go, but she is great in anything, don't get me wrong...
but I would go to see Tom Hardy!!!
My Paul Newman replacement guy. Seeing him in the BBC's Wuthering
Heights did it for me...I may have seen everything of his now.

'13 yr old boys'...good review...I'll get it on Netflix one day. Thanks

Old 06-01-2015, 02:45 PM

9,785 posts, read 7,102,126 times
Am I missing something here? I like Charlize Theron and thought she was great in "a million ways to die in the old west" because she was allowed to act a bit. There was very little dialog in the new Mad Max and I think it wasn't much of a stretch for any actress to read the lines never mind an academy award winner.

The cars were cool, especially the porcupine ones and the explosions immense but as I said before the character development and dialog were poor.

I must be getting old or maybe seeing this movie at the drive in loses something in the outdoor environment but I want more than grunting and groaning in between explosions from hollywood. Remember in the second Max movie where that little feral kid and his boomerang? He grunted a lot but the audience got it and knew what he was trying to express.

Other little problems. Where did the guy with the mask get all that machinery? One of the evils that destroyed the world was the need for clean water and the mask guy holds all the water via a well and cistern. There are hundreds of his followers living in the desert below and once a day? he gives a speech then opens the valve to dump gallons of water on the people?
One clan has a bullet farm? so bullets are rare yet they shoot them like they had a never ending supply. The same goes for the go juice (gas) which they used to blow stuff up?

BarterTown in the last Max movie at least made sense.

I was really hoping for more out of this "remake?" Retool?? Redo???

Old 06-01-2015, 06:38 PM

5,591 posts, read 2,427,249 times
Fury Road is not a reboot nor remake. It's an original story. Same principal character, same setting. A new story, with familiar elements ("Easter eggs") for those of us with more than a passing knowledge of "Mad" Max Rockatansky and his surroundings.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:24 AM

12,618 posts, read 10,725,246 times
Boy, does her hair grow fast!...did you see Charlize at the latest Award Show...last week?
It was in a ponytail...it didn't 'look' fake...I dunno maybe it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or