Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Most Horrific Violent Sad Thing Ever?
Gatchaman 0 0%
Lolo The Penguin 0 0%
The Plague Dogs 2 40.00%
Watership Down 0 0%
Other 3 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 03:15 AM

756 posts, read 833,468 times

Advertisements

I am going to quickly rant here:

The producers which import anime or adapted books have frequently censored things which does not really deserve to be censored. Most is just an excuse for creative changes.

I can think of many:

Gatchaman: was first adapted into Battle of the Planets. While they added a beautiful and suspenseful sound track to it, they also did many other unnecessary changes. And while it was violent, and many people died in the film, it really is not that serious. And I really doubt that because it has war violence in the film, it is not approving wars nor violence.

Lolo The Penguin: So it had a few seconds of shooting penguins and bleeding and drowning in the water. This only happened with four penguins including the leader and 3 random back ground characters. It happened so quickly that you have to pause to count them. And a leopard seal is killed by an orca. However, the characters and sound track and even script was changed entirely in the first american and canadian releases.

Ralph Bakshi's films: such as Wizards, where a two legged horse (mutated because of radiation) its eye shot out with an arrow, entirely on screen. From my understanding Wizards is a PG film.

Another, Fritz The Cat is X rated. Although I think its intention was to be X rated.

I think many people insisted that animation must be kid-friendly. In fact, pre-school friendly. I don't believe in hiding the truth. For example, The book adaptations produced by Chuck Jones are just fine. They aren't preschool friendly, and they don't stray from the original book. In the next example, I am going to tell you about some other book adaptation that did not stray from the book either. (Although I wonder why either book or movie was ever made to begin with.)

When I was researching Dot and The Kangaroo and then I found a link to somebody's blog "five kid friendly films that are too scary for kids" (or something) which listed Watership Down. First time I heard of it.

Thinking it was criticized for being "too violent" just like anything else is, (even Looney Tunes & Tom and Jerry) I decided to see if I could watch a clip. When I did:

I have watched all of these that I mentioned above, even some X Rated films. But I just could not watch the rest. I am not interested in finding a DVD or whatever. Watership Down seems to make the X rated films seem G rated.

So now if I wasn't furious about the poor treatment of the anime dubs, I certainly am now. It is also interesting that the same year Watership Down was turned into a film was the same year Battle of The Planets was made. That is just wrong.

Am I correct that Watership Down is a film targeted for kids, adapted from a book also targeted for kids? Others say they studied the book (and film!) in school?

You cannot possibly say that Gatchaman or Lolo contains more violence (and blood, specifically) than Watership Down.

I know that a film is different from television, especially one intended to be a "Saturday Morning Cartoon". and I know that The U.S.A. adapting an Anime is not the same thing as The U.K. adapting a book, but I am still furious. Especially if for some reason I did not want to watch it. It is the first time I did not want to watch the whole thing. AND it was rated PG?! Even if it was a film, I don't think that it should be PG?!

I guess I am the only person that disagrees with Watership Down.

If it is true that Watership Down is meant for kids, I am surprised such a thing exists.

Can somebody provide more examples "Kid Friendly" yet extremely violent films?

Is The Plague Dogs another one?

I am going to include a badly designed poll.

Last edited by In_Correct; 05-21-2015 at 03:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 03:18 AM

756 posts, read 833,468 times
Exclamation Uh-Oh:

I forgot to include the Ralph Bakshi films in the poll!

Old 05-21-2015, 05:58 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Only Americans automatically equate "animation" with "for children." There are lots of animated movies and TV shows that are most certainly NOT for kids.

Watership Down (the book I mean; I never much cared for the movie) is great for middle schoolers and above. Younger kids? No. Because it really isn't about cute and fuzzy bunnies. It is basically Vergil's The Aeneid with rabbits.

Bakshi movies were never intended for kids. And there really not even very good adult fare. His addiction to roto-scoping made for some really ugly movies. And I don't know how anyone could make a movie about naked barbarians fighting monsters an unwatchable bore-fest, but Bakshi's FIRE & ICE did it.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:57 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times
The Last Unicorn is pretty messed up for little kids to watch, too.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:26 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
"Bambi Meets Godzilla"

Old 05-22-2015, 05:31 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Grave of the Fireflies (1988)

Spoiler
or the live action Nobody Knows (2004)

Old 05-22-2015, 05:51 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
The saddest movie I have ever seen.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:26 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The saddest movie I have ever seen.
This short clip from the Fog of War should be watched before viewing Grave of the Fireflies. Robert McNamara played a major part in the fire bombing of Japan ("scorched and boiled and baked to death" 100,000 people. The quoted words are Gen. LeMay's after fire bombing Tokyo). McNamara had second thoughts about it later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDT8NdyoWfI

Last edited by karlsch; 05-23-2015 at 12:37 AM..

Old 05-29-2015, 01:04 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
On the topic of Ralph Bakshi, I am a fan, and kids (meaning preadolescents and preteens) are not, and were never, his target audience. Fritz the Cat is indeed the very first animated film to earn an X-rating, and Heavy Traffic also contains nudity (it's R-rated), but it's simply too "out there" for kids, anyway.

Animation is a medium that is not limited by its subject matter. (That's why we have Smurfs and Urotsukidoji.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
Is The Plague Dogs another one?
Okay, small kids should never watch this. Ever. It's far too depressing. It's a great film, I love it, but it's a story of two dogs who escape from an animal experimentation facility and seek their freedom in the English countryside.

The film is more depressing than the book, because in the latter, the reader can take advantage of certain ambiguities and the variance in tone as the title characters move about. Plus, Richard Adams is a writer everyone should read (he also wrote Watership Down).

The film opens with an unsettling (to say the least) scene, and it snowballs from there. It can be summed up in one line, uttered by the Jack Russell Terrier, "Snitter," but I won't spoil it.

"Kid-friendly"? Not a chance in hell.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:10 AM

4,657 posts, read 4,116,410 times
Watership Down traumatized me as a kid.

Along with Battle of the Planetss, I would include STARBLAZERS/SPACE BATTLEHSIP YAMATA, with they finally made into a decent Japanese film a few years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies