U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 03:04 PM

5,121 posts, read 636,296 times

Advertisements

Either movies in general or a specific genre.

With me, it is PROLONGED action/violent sequences. It really irritates me when a fight or a chase (either by vehicle or on foot) lasts more than five minutes, at most. I mean, in 99% of movies in which a very long chase ensues, you KNOW what is going to happen, so why do some directors take so long in getting to the point? Ditto for those scenes in which the star is up against an "unknown" actor in a fight-to-the-death scene -- we know who is going to win, so why prolong the finish? To me, that just equals BORING.

Okay, that is my gripe. What is yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 03:32 PM

9,213 posts, read 18,119,052 times
I agree with the above; prolonged fight scenes or chase scenes are just boring, but I thought that was something guys like, and us girls just don't "get."

What annoys me the most about movies in general, especially more recent movies in the last 10-15 years, is that LOUD background music/score that makes it hard to hear the dialogue. In movie theaters, I actually need earplugs because it's too loud. If the theater seat is vibrating from the sound, that's too loud. But even at home, I often have to replay scenes because the music drowned out what someone said. The people are talking softly or whispering, but the damn music score is filling my living room like it's a freaking concert hall.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:04 PM

16,914 posts, read 51,523,686 times
Shakey cam, twirling intimate shots, great makeup in disasters, physics that don't make sense, dangling plot points, obligatory chase scenes, and a few dozen other things.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:35 PM

4,877 posts, read 1,389,988 times
Gratuitous crudeness masquerading as humor.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:12 PM

9,714 posts, read 5,698,825 times
Not knowing if a film will play here. It's like a state secret on which theaters will get the limited release, because they are playing it by ear. Keeps you on your toes though, and the payoff can be great.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:15 AM

25,481 posts, read 14,575,880 times
Shakey-cam. I am not prone to motion sickness on motion simulators and most thrill rides (other than Gravatron) but the original The Amazing Spider-Man teaser from Spidey's POV made me sick.
Indie releases. I got to go to Glendale if I want to see independent movies in theaters, that's a bit of a hike for me.
Building the story around the wrong character. I noticed this with Boyhood, the boy who was the main character didn't really have the best storylines. Instead it was his mother or sister that were more relate-able and I am a male.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:01 AM

15,150 posts, read 19,789,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Shakey-cam.
Yes! I hate that too. A silly, stupid fad whose time has come to die.

The thing that bugs me most in movies is simple lack of research. If you're going to take the time to add something as a plot element in your movie, at least take the time to read the freakin' Wikipedia page on it so you don't look stupid. Just a few I have noticed over the years:

SPRINKLER SYSTEMS. Flicking your Bic under one sprinkler head does NOT cause the entire building's sprinkler head to go off. It makes that one sprinkler head open, and that's it.

THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION. Does not mean what every movie and TV show seems to think it means.

GUNS MAKE NOISE. Shoot a gun inside a room. See if you can hear anything for the next 20 minutes. You can't.

FIRE MAKES SMOKE. Any movie where a character is in a burning room or building apparently has magic fire that creates no smoke.

"MAVERICK" DOCTOR (OR COP) WHO NEVER GETS FIRED. Watch any episode of HOUSE, where the main character behaves in a way that would get him immediately fired at any hospital in the country.

LOVERS WAKE UP IN THE MORNING AND SHARE A PASSIONATE KISS. Ick. Go brush your teeth.

THE MAGIC KNOCKOUT PUNCH. Konk someone on the head in a movie, and out they go. No. Konk someone on the head hard enough, and you have likely killed them. Don't conk them hard enough, and they are likely to turn around and konk you back.

SMALL KNIFE = IMMEDIATE DEATH. It is actually really, really, REALLY hard to kill a human being instantly. But people get a knife to the back or gut and immediately die on TV or in movies. Only extreme trauma to the brain and heart is going to cause immediate death. Everything else is going to take a while. But we like our violence sanitized and neatly wrapped in the movies.

THE MAGIC CRIME SOLVING COMPUTER. Present on almost every cop show. Our plucky detectives enter some evidence and the magic computer immediately spits out a list of suspects. DNA results are instantaneous. Facial reconstruction takes hours, not weeks. This is a big reason why most cop shows these days are actually science fiction. Talk to a real CSI detective about CSI on TV some time. He or she will tell you it has about as much to do with real criminal investigations as Gilligan's Island had to do with real life in the Navy.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:38 AM

16,914 posts, read 51,523,686 times
"SPRINKLER SYSTEMS. Flicking your Bic under one sprinkler head does NOT cause the entire building's sprinkler head to go off. It makes that one sprinkler head open, and that's it."

Not always. A "deluge" system will cause all heads to activate. (Although it isn't the head that is the sensor)

Old 06-19-2015, 11:01 AM

3,395 posts, read 3,217,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Gratuitous crudeness masquerading as humor.
This.

I'm not a prude by any stretch. However, the latest movies that RELY on crudeness alone for humor just seem lazy to me.

Most of these Seth Rogen/James Franco movies are guilty of this.

If crudeness is part of the humor, that's one thing. Mel Brooks is good at that. But when it is is your only source of humor, I feel insulted. We are not all 14-year olds..

Old 06-19-2015, 04:28 PM

5,633 posts, read 2,460,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
SMALL KNIFE = IMMEDIATE DEATH. It is actually really, really, REALLY hard to kill a human being instantly. But people get a knife to the back or gut and immediately die on TV or in movies. Only extreme trauma to the brain and heart is going to cause immediate death. Everything else is going to take a while. But we like our violence sanitized and neatly wrapped in the movies.
Yes, this one is mystifying. Piercing the gut does not cause instant death. Even disembowelment with a samurai sword does not cause instant death. Death will come very soon, but things have to shut down first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
THE MAGIC CRIME SOLVING COMPUTER. Present on almost every cop show. Our plucky detectives enter some evidence and the magic computer immediately spits out a list of suspects. DNA results are instantaneous. Facial reconstruction takes hours, not weeks. This is a big reason why most cop shows these days are actually science fiction. Talk to a real CSI detective about CSI on TV some time. He or she will tell you it has about as much to do with real criminal investigations as Gilligan's Island had to do with real life in the Navy.
Worst offender: the clan of NCIS shows. It's hysterical how quickly they can catch or eliminate their target. The only time they don't is when the producers intend to keep an antagonist around for future episodes.

The Shield is one of my favorite shows. The cases were messy, the perps didn't jog in place so they could be easily captured, and the lead cop, Vic Mackey (portrayed by Michael Chiklis, in a role that earned him an Emmy), took a gunshot to the midsection and he certainly wasn't dead fifteen seconds later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or