Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 07:54 PM

15,962 posts, read 7,024,232 times

Advertisements

I think this movie was made, or the screenplay was written by the same person who did Juno and both have unplanned pregnancy as the theme.
I thought I did not like the movie but I keep thinking about it and then think it was a good movie that stays with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 06:37 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Jason Reitman seems to like to portray the more uncomfortable aspects of life with his films. I liked his "Up in the Air."

'Tully' Movie Review: Charlize Theron and Jason Reitman Team Up for a Desperate Depiction of Motherhood

Old 05-14-2018, 08:01 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
Jason Reitman and writer Diablo Cody have collaborated on three films now:

Juno (2007)
Young Adult (2011)
Tully (2018)

Some are calling it their trilogy. I really liked all of them. Young Adult also starts Charlize Theron.

I had to see Tully for the second time. One of the final lines, and the most telling, is said by Jonah.
Spoiler
Is this real?

Old 05-14-2018, 05:24 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
It was well-made, but I didn't like it, and think Diablo Cody is over-rated. I only liked Young Adult.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:26 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
We saw this yesterday for Mother's Day.

It was really hard to watch...I remember those days of utter exhaustion with an unhelpful husband and challenging children. I really didn't know how bad off I was until I finally got some sleep. I guess that's the thing about exhaustion.

The other mom in our group has a special needs son and she bawled like a baby. We really felt it was spot-on realistic.

Charlize Theron is amazing. She is not afraid to do what she needs to do with her body for a role! Plus, she can act.

We liked the attention to the smallest of details.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:47 PM

I find this obsession of the movie maker with unplanned pregnancy and the "awfulness" of motherhood a bit ridiculous. If one has a child with severe and complex problems and another child that needs attention as well, it is stupid to have another baby. It is not good for anyone involved including the new baby. That is what I was thinking throughout the movie and could not have much sympathy for the Theron character. She of course is a great actress but wasted in this meaningless role.

I wonder if a woman would make such a movie.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:56 AM

Or, you could say he presents the stark reality that you don't see with other films depicting motherhood. It's easy to judge movie characters and their life choices, but after all, they're movie characters.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Or, you could say he presents the stark reality that you don't see with other films depicting motherhood. It's easy to judge movie characters and their life choices, but after all, they're movie characters.

Is it stark reality? Isn't the character mentally ill? So, whose reality is it?
As the link to the article posted, the film deals with pregnancy and motherhood as the illness, not the character's own psychosis which apparently has a technical diagnosis.
It is the same problem with the way the film deals with teen pregnancy, completely ignoring the way life would change for a pregnant teenager who decides to give birth.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:04 AM

Article? Did you see it to make up your own mind? I rarely read what critics think about movies. What's important is how I think about it. I rather enjoy movies than debate them to tell you the truth.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:45 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Jason Reitman and writer Diablo Cody have collaborated on three films now:

Juno (2007)
Young Adult (2011)
Tully (2018)

Some are calling it their trilogy. I really liked all of them. Young Adult also starts Charlize Theron.

I had to see Tully for the second time. One of the final lines, and the most telling, is said by Jonah.
Spoiler
Is this real?
Good director coupled with the great and versatile Charlize. I want to see this one. Ever since I saw Charlize transformation into Aileen Wuronos in Monster I became interested in her films going forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies