U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 06:12 AM

12,165 posts, read 16,648,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I hope Warner Bros gets their act together with all this. There is a lot of money to lose and a lot of iconic American fantasy icons that could have their reputations irreparably damaged.
I agree with all of that except the word "irreparably."

If this movie is as bad as some critics are saying --- and to be fair, the jury is still out on that; keep in mind that critics have disliked other movies that later turned out to be classics (looking at BLADE RUNNER) --- then the DCU is in serious, serious trouble. The cynical side of me also must point out that just because a movie franchise is filled with bad movies (looking at FAST & FURIOUS, TRANSFORMERS, EXPENDABLES, 300, SHARKNADO) doesn't mean they don't make tons of money, so that the studios will keep pumping them out. Cinematic junk food.

But I don't think the damage is unfixable. It's going to be difficult, yes. But not impossible.

Could Wonder Woman turn out to be the savior of the DCU movies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 06:37 AM
Status: "Most annoying poster on cd - 1986pacecar" (set 25 days ago)

2,228 posts, read 1,187,994 times
While I have not read many DC comics and I am not familiar with most of these characters, I will say that I have such a love for comic book art and at my last comic-con, I purchased a great Harley Quinn print. I wish I could get into the stories of the DC Universe, but I have never been a big fan of these super hero comics or movies. That said, the art is always amazing to me.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:12 AM

Interesting. Sad if true. A lesson in how NOT to make a movie.

Report: Warner Bros. Turned*Suicide Squad Into a Mess in Its Panic Over BvS Criticism

'Suicide Squad's' Secret Drama: Rushed Production, Competing Cuts, High Anxiety | Hollywood Reporter

Old 08-03-2016, 09:31 AM

2,524 posts, read 818,588 times

The first article is merely clickbait that refers to the second article. The second article discusses behind-the-scenes goings-on, not the film itself. It also says the final cut we're getting is the one that resonated with test audiences. Last month, Ayer tweeted about the final cut going to print, calling it "a beast."

I'm there tomorrow night.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
If this movie is as bad as some critics are saying --- and to be fair, the jury is still out on that; keep in mind that critics have disliked other movies that later turned out to be classics (looking at BLADE RUNNER) --- then the DCU is in serious, serious trouble. The cynical side of me also must point out that just because a movie franchise is filled with bad movies (looking at FAST & FURIOUS, TRANSFORMERS, EXPENDABLES, 300, SHARKNADO) doesn't mean they don't make tons of money, so that the studios will keep pumping them out. Cinematic junk food.
BvS is #1 in home video. An expensive movie, yes, but a big earner, nonetheless.

Sharknado movies cost nothing to make. Cheap FX, cheap cast, cheap cameos by actors who want to be a part of it.

The first two Expendables movies made some money, but the third bombed. Domestically, it earned less than half what the first two got. Amazingly, it looks like they're going to make another one.

Quote:
Could Wonder Woman turn out to be the savior of the DCU movies?
It's certainly the most anticipated.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
BvS is #1 in home video.
I bought it. I even bought the extended R-rated version, since I've been told it fixed all the movie's problems. I'm about an hour in and I still haven't been able to work up the will to make myself finish it. It is spectacularly bad. Spectacle being the key term.

I'm not even quite sure how to explain its badness. It is the cinematic version of a View Master. Remember View Master? You pull the lever and click through scenes. That is what watching BvS feels like. There are scenes. Some even look spectacular. But there is no unity. It's like we're going from moment to moment with no narrative thread. And Snyder has yet again completely misunderstood his heroes. I am more than just disliking his Batman. As a lifelong Batfan, I'm a little offended by it.

Quote:
Sharknado movies cost nothing to make. Cheap FX, cheap cast, cheap cameos by actors who want to be a part of it.
It's still bad. Being intentionally bad doesn't make it any better. But it's still popular, which I still don't understand. It's the movie version of Kellog's purposefully putting cockroaches in Raisin Bran. Rather than being disgusted, people want more. I don't get it.

Quote:
It's certainly the most anticipated.
Wonder Woman is my last hope for any quality in the DCU movie-verse. If it isn't a great movie, I hope and pray that WB scraps their entire plan and starts over. They haven't done a good live action movie since The Dark Knight.

AFtrEFkt, please tell me this isn't you: "Squad" Fan Wants Rotten Tomatoes Shut Down - Dark Horizons

Old 08-03-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I bought it. I even bought the extended R-rated version, since I've been told it fixed all the movie's problems. I'm about an hour in and I still haven't been able to work up the will to make myself finish it. It is spectacularly bad. Spectacle being the key term.

I'm not even quite sure how to explain its badness. It is the cinematic version of a View Master. Remember View Master? You pull the lever and click through scenes. That is what watching BvS feels like. There are scenes. Some even look spectacular. But there is no unity. It's like we're going from moment to moment with no narrative thread. And Snyder has yet again completely misunderstood his heroes. I am more than just disliking his Batman. As a lifelong Batfan, I'm a little offended by it.

You can always go back to Adam West. (Hey, I like every incarnation of Batman, except Clooney!)

Quote:
It's still bad. Being intentionally bad doesn't make it any better. But it's still popular, which I still don't understand. It's the movie version of Kellog's purposefully putting cockroaches in Raisin Bran. Rather than being disgusted, people want more. I don't get it.

I wasn't saying Sharknado was good. It isn't! But there ARE movies that are "so bad they're good"...like Laserblast!

Quote:
Wonder Woman is my last hope for any quality in the DCU movie-verse. If it isn't a great movie, I hope and pray that WB scraps their entire plan and starts over. They haven't done a good live action movie since The Dark Knight.

AFtrEFkt, please tell me this isn't you: "Squad" Fan Wants Rotten Tomatoes Shut Down - Dark Horizons

LOL. No, that's not me. I don't go out of my way to do stuff like that.

But I DO have my ticket for Suicide Squad tomorrow night at 6:30!

Old 08-03-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
You can always go back to Adam West. (Hey, I like every incarnation of Batman, except Clooney!)
The live action movies have had some good Bruce Waynes. But none of them have found Batman yet. For that, you have to look in the animated movies.

Quote:
But there ARE movies that are "so bad they're good"...like Laserblast!
Sure. I love Flash Gordon, Hawk the Slayer, Beastmaster, Billy Jack ... But those movies were not made intentionally bad. They're so bad that they're good, but that was never the intention. The SyFy Channel has somehow found a niche of making purposefully bad movies, and people love them. I'm baffled.

But I'm getting old. Sharknado, the Kardashians, iced coffee, Trump, Clinton ... the whole world has gone to hell. I'm ready for the whole country to get off my lawn.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:23 PM

The Beastmaster is better than those other movies you quoted, dude. Awesome musical score, too.

You don't like ONE live action Batman? You haven't even seen the warehouse fight in BvS! Take off those blinders, man!

Christian Bale was the first guy since West on whom I was sold as both the guy in and out of the cowl.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
The Beastmaster is better than those other movies you quoted, dude. Awesome musical score, too.
I love Beastmaster. But it is incredibly silly in parts. But the silliness only adds to its awesomeness.

Quote:
You don't like ONE live action Batman?
Nope.

Quote:
You haven't even seen the warehouse fight in BvS! Take off those blinders, man!
I'll get there eventually. But a cool fight scene isn't going to make me like the character.

Quote:
Christian Bale was the first guy since West on whom I was sold as both the guy in and out of the cowl.
You didn't find the absurd Dirty Harry voice irritating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies