Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:51 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times

Advertisements

Wait? I must've seen the wrong movie. I never saw either one naked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 04:34 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
i am gay.

thought the movie was terrible. Makes the few normal and responsible gay people look bad.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
i am gay.

thought the movie was terrible. Makes the few normal and responsible gay people look bad.
This is not the first time I've read that opinion, you are certainly entitled to it.

But I'm not buying into that mindset; plenty of heteros make me look bad, plenty of irresponsible dog owners make me look bad, but this does not diminish me or my lifestyle in any way.
Remember the time, the place, and the social climate in which the Brokeback Mtn story is set.
Matthew Shepard died in Wyoming only ten years ago.
I think the movie makes a bigoted society look terrible. Brokeback Mountain illustrates how good a monogamous relationship can be, and would have been, if only Ennis had given it a try.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:47 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I would recommend it to anybody gay or regular.
Oh man, that's funny. Regular!

Anway, I thought the movie was pretty good. It was shot beautifully, and the acting was great.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:28 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
I know some people base their so called knowledge on movies or the news or other's opinions but most people have enough sense to not label ALL gays or ALL straight people or whatever else "group" people get thrown into. It's a cliché but "there's good and bad in all "groups" and countries and whatnot"... Why should you feel bad because a movie portrays something a certain way? You know your own selfworth. I like Brokeback for it's scenery and the music in it..
the story itself was OK, nothing spectacular, nothing shocking like some people say it is.
What happened to Matthew Shepard was outrageous and evil. No one deserves to be treated that way.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:34 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
the story itself was OK, nothing spectacular, nothing shocking like some people say it is.
What happened to Matthew Shepard was outrageous and evil. No one deserves to be treated that way.
In the movie, one of the two main characters gets beaten to death by the side of the road for being gay. The story about the tire blowing up and hitting him in the face was just the one the family was telling in order to keep it quiet that their son was gay.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:39 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,046,634 times
Somebody told me this movie is gay, but i'm not certain if that meant he liked or disliked it.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
what's your point most gays cannot do the "monogamous" thing. I guess it is wayyyy too difficult?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
This is not the first time I've read that opinion, you are certainly entitled to it.

But I'm not buying into that mindset; plenty of heteros make me look bad, plenty of irresponsible dog owners make me look bad, but this does not diminish me or my lifestyle in any way.
Remember the time, the place, and the social climate in which the Brokeback Mtn story is set.
Matthew Shepard died in Wyoming only ten years ago.
I think the movie makes a bigoted society look terrible. Brokeback Mountain illustrates how good a monogamous relationship can be, and would have been, if only Ennis had given it a try.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:56 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,445 times
Quote:
i am gay.

It is a love story. And one of the best ever, IMO. Making gay people "look" any way is irrelevent. Did Pretty Woman make prostitutes look good or bad (no, I'm not comparing prostitution to homosexuality)? Who cares, again, that was a love story as well (not in any way on the same level cinematically as Brokeback Mountain), but that is not the point. Brokeback Mountain is a beautiful and heart-breaking depiction of love at it's deepest and most honest place. That film should have won the Oscar that year.

Anyway...what I want to say is...love stories aren't always about being "normal and responsible." Doing the dishes and making sure you used dryer sheets when you did your laundry last week is "normal and responsible." Being in love (cinematically or otherwise) is sometimes, just sometimes, a bit more spontaneous, exciting, and life-changing.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
what's your point most gays cannot do the "monogamous" thing. I guess it is wayyyy too difficult?
Are you being deliberately disenguous?
You yourself mentioned "the few responsible gays."
In the movie, Jack wanted to settle down on a ranch with Ennis.
Ennis couldn't do it, and lived to regret his decision. End of (sad) story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
It is a love story. And one of the best ever, IMO. Making gay people "look" any way is irrelevent. Did Pretty Woman make prostitutes look good or bad (no, I'm not comparing prostitution to homosexuality)? Who cares, again, that was a love story as well (not in any way on the same level cinematically as Brokeback Mountain), but that is not the point. Brokeback Mountain is a beautiful and heart-breaking depiction of love at it's deepest and most honest place. That film should have won the Oscar that year.

Anyway...what I want to say is...love stories aren't always about being "normal and responsible." Doing the dishes and making sure you used dryer sheets when you did your laundry last week is "normal and responsible." Being in love (cinematically or otherwise) is sometimes, just sometimes, a bit more spontaneous, exciting, and life-changing.
Exactly.
Well said, holly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies