U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 05:50 PM
BMI

4,665 posts, read 2,445,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think the movie is overrated. All that comes to mind are the music and a few catch phrases (Plastics, etc). Did anyone care that all the actors were playing characters a lot older or younger than they really were?
Yes....good eye Mouldy.

Dustin Hoffman....born 1937....was pushing 30 when they filmed it,
imo not quite pulling off a college kid.

Anne Bancroft was made to look "older" than she was,
she was born in 1931.

Only 6 years difference in age....in real life, short, dumpy Dustin would be very
happy to be seduced by Anne (though her husband, Mel Brooks, wouldn't like it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 07:32 PM

2,238 posts, read 914,948 times
No idea what anyone likes about this movie. Actually had to pay money to see it for a second time as it was shown in a film class.

Yuppie larvae.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:01 PM

661 posts, read 263,357 times
Quote:
No idea what anyone likes about this movie.
loved the Graduate........no idea about most movies lately

Old 04-30-2017, 07:07 AM

17,071 posts, read 4,192,321 times
The Graduate was the first adult themed movie I saw as a young teenager back in the 60s. Seeing it in a movie house, I was entranced by the story, and the first time of seeing Dustin Hoffman. Everything about this movie I loved....... the music, the acting, and the great involving story.

It showed an American world I had no experience of at all, but I understood Benjamin's frustration with his life, and his parent's desire for him to be just like them, which he didn't want. This was one of many movies of that time, I went to see more than once.

I read Doris Day was offered the part of Mrs Robinson. I think that would have made it a very different film.......

Old 04-30-2017, 09:07 PM

10,926 posts, read 11,000,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
short, dumpy Dustin...
No way! We thought he was so handsome! From "Kramer vs Kramer," a decade later: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xSvQFwmsR5...ryl+streep.JPG

Old 04-30-2017, 09:16 PM

206 posts, read 71,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I just watched this today for the first time. I can see why it is regarded as a classic. It was entertaining, and the soundtrack was Oscar worthy; but the plot itself was actually pointless.

Spoiler
They never explained WHY Mrs. Robinson was so adamant about Ben not dating Elaine. At first, I thought it would be revealed that Elaine was actually Ben's sister, but that wasn't it. Ultimately, it seems she was just jealous of her daughter?

I was also struck by the timeline, you would think at a casual glance that the film took place over a summer and maybe fall, but after seeing the condition of the Alpha at the end of the movie, it was obvious that at least a few years had passed; either that, or Ben constantly ran the vehicle through sandstorms, acid-rain, actual acid car washes, and every other condition that could destroy a paint job.

And last, but certainly not least, I didn't get the impression that neither Mrs. Robinson nor Elaine were any kind of a catch. They were both a bit more than broken. Mrs Robinson being a vindictive adulterer, and Elaine apparently not able to make a decision and stick to it.

But if they were not great catches, then there was no real loss because there prize was Ben. A person of absolutely no character - or really any redeeming qualities himself.

Definitely an enjoyable movie, but I hope there are not too many women (or men) out there like this.
Cannon fodder at best...no self-perpetuating college graduate would willingly subject themselves to the legal consequences and become some infuriated husbands proverbial "douche bag" by sleeping with a married older woman...who by the way, is inferred to be the wife of a member of the board of regents...stoopid at best... political and academic suicide...

Old 05-01-2017, 06:09 PM

670 posts, read 256,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
...in real life, short, dumpy Dustin would be very
happy to be seduced by Anne ...
You know this for sure...your tastes are now his too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
No way! We thought he was so handsome! From "Kramer vs Kramer," a decade later...
And there you have it...just don't let Steve know!

I saw a TV interview with Neile Adams, Steve McQueens first wife not too long after SM’s death.

In it she mentioned that Steve had a projectionist bring a copy of the graduate to their home for a private screening at the time of it’s release (so not to be seen in public being interested in DH).

At one point during or after the movie, she said he was furious because he knew DH was going to be a big star.

The rant wasn’t so much over his acting ability, it was because he felt Dustin didn’t have the Hollywood “handsome leading man look” that he himself spent time and money perfecting, which goes to show no matter how hot you are/think you are, jealous souls are pretty much jealous of everyone and everything.

Had he been real secure about his looks (as "genuinely" secure as anyone in Hollywood can be!) or even "lack of", other people's looks wouldn't bother him or them.

Didn't Steve try to "Every-man it up", choosing a vehicle that would let him cover his face with a full beard, hiding his face to highlight his acting abilities in at least one of his movies (one of his last ones for sure)?

I saw the Graduate when it was out and liked it. Now, not so much.

I do like Dave Grusin’s instrumental music on the soundtrack though.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:24 AM

670 posts, read 256,047 times
I liked the scene where there is a frontal shot of Dustin running to the church.

It looked like he was running pretty fast, but from the front, IIRC, it seemed like he was getting nowhere fast!

Also, they added the stairs outside the church, as they didn't exist.

They also built a set for the Wayne's World (2?) movie.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:10 AM

26,919 posts, read 27,332,638 times
I saw "The Graduate" about 20 years after it came out. At the time, it probably reflected things that happened at the time it was made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies