Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 11:08 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larz View Post
Respectfully, I have to disagree with with this one. Aside from the special effects being far superior I felt overall the film was mediocre and a bit disappointing. Also, I didn't care for Jack Black or Naomi Watts in their respective roles.
The movie isn't perfect by any means, but it is a vast improvement over any of the previous versions.

The original is a classic and always will be. But as a story it's really weak. Not much motivation for any of the major characters (including Kong), and it really suffers from the paranoia of "dark Africa" still prevalent at the time. The story's biggest weakness is that the central conflict --- why Kong wants Anne --- is never really explained.

The remake in the '70s tried to fix this, but honestly ... it was creepy. Kong leering at the girl as he peels her clothes off. Ew.

Jackson's version motivates all the characters (including Kong) and gives each a certain amount of pathos. Jack Black I can usually take or leave. I thought he was fine in this role. Naomi Watts was absolutely perfect.

Despite a few minor flaws, Jackson's version of KING KONG is the best version of the story in every way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 02:23 PM

191 posts, read 272,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The movie isn't perfect by any means, but it is a vast improvement over any of the previous versions.

The original is a classic and always will be. But as a story it's really weak. Not much motivation for any of the major characters (including Kong), and it really suffers from the paranoia of "dark Africa" still prevalent at the time. The story's biggest weakness is that the central conflict --- why Kong wants Anne --- is never really explained.

The remake in the '70s tried to fix this, but honestly ... it was creepy. Kong leering at the girl as he peels her clothes off. Ew.

Jackson's version motivates all the characters (including Kong) and gives each a certain amount of pathos. Jack Black I can usually take or leave. I thought he was fine in this role. Naomi Watts was absolutely perfect.

Despite a few minor flaws, Jackson's version of KING KONG is the best version of the story in every way.
Matter of personal taste I guess. I can appreciate the qualities that make a good film, but I just didn't like this one any better than the previous films. Perhaps I'm too caught up in the casting.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:14 AM

347 posts, read 282,374 times
I know this has been done, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few classic Twilight Zone episodes made into films. Could be interesting. Or horrible.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:40 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Star Wars episode 1, 2 and 3.

After all, it's been like 15 years since "The Phantom Menace" came out, would be a guaranteed profit for the makers, an interesting premise that deserves to be done well and a chance for redemption that could bring peace to the souls of millions of devastated star wars fans.

Of course they would have to throw away everything an do a completely new spin on the fall of Anakin but that would be OK with me.

I would also like to see a new "Sink the Bismarck" but told more from the German perspective a la "Das Boot".

Old 09-10-2015, 07:37 PM

211 posts, read 211,785 times
No question: Electric Dreams, a totally forgotten, criminally underrated gem from the eighties that I think would be quite relevant today (although I think Her was a spiritual quasi-remake of ED)

Old 09-10-2015, 10:11 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watts87 View Post
I know this has been done, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few classic Twilight Zone episodes made into films. Could be interesting. Or horrible.
I can't imagine it would be horrible. Every Twilight Zone episode and movie was great, even the '80s versions.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:59 PM

347 posts, read 282,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I can't imagine it would be horrible. Every Twilight Zone episode and movie was great, even the '80s versions.
I haven't seen very many of the 80s episodes, but I did really like the few I have. There were definitely some great episodes from the original series.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:30 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Hard to say.

One thing about the remake is that it seems they bring in a bigger name star to be in it ...... and then it is more about the stars than about the story.

Ie, I've seen The Debt (2007) - IMDb and I've seen
The Debt (2010) - IMDb and I liked the previous better, when I didn't know anyone in it.

One movie I wouldn't mind seeing remade is "The Green Berets"..............because that was a bad movie for John Wayne to be in. Ie, John Wayne doesn't go off and leave his men to be mowed down....but that's what Col. Kirby did in that flick.
Maybe having someone else in that part would erase the bad taste.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:50 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larz View Post
Matter of personal taste I guess. I can appreciate the qualities that make a good film, but I just didn't like this one any better than the previous films. Perhaps I'm too caught up in the casting.
If they take a story and don't change it people complain about the acting. If we change the sorry too much people complain it strays from the source material. Many people use that as a criticism to Godzilla '14, let alone Godzilla '98. It's a catch-22 for remakes and reboots.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:53 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watts87 View Post
I haven't seen very many of the 80s episodes, but I did really like the few I have. There were definitely some great episodes from the original series.
There was an episide from the '80s tv series that has stuck with me all these years. Maybe i should put it in spoiler quotes.

Spoiler
It was the one where a woman found a necklace while digging in the garden. Later she was wearing the necklace while her husband and kids were being loud, and she said shut up and time just froze. She was the only one who could still move around. Later a nuclear bomb was heading to the US, and right before it hit the city she froze time. She went out to look around, and she saw the bomb frozen just when it was about to explode.

That really affected me at the time. I was a teenager during the Cold War. People were worried about nuclear war with Russia. It was a really good story. I'd like to see another Twighlight Zone movie where they have three or four segments with different elisodes from the show that includes some from the '80s reboot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies