U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 01:52 AM

8,839 posts, read 8,975,588 times

Advertisements

I've seen Stroker Ace -- found it mediocre. Re-watched The Cannonball Run a few years ago and thought it was awful -- can't believe there was ever a time me and my friends found it amusing.

So then, should I simply skip Smokey, or is it generally a better film than the two aforesaid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 05:26 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,471,337 times
No its EXCELLENT!!!!!

I love this movie!!

Old 10-02-2015, 06:25 AM

9,673 posts, read 5,668,285 times
Don't know what a stroker ace is, and I don't recall anything about cannonball run, but Smokey? Sally Field. She steals this one. It's from a time when you still remember her as Gidget, the flying nun; young, full of life, funny, loads of fun. That's what SaTB is, loads of fun.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:05 AM

15,090 posts, read 19,732,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I've seen Stroker Ace -- found it mediocre. Re-watched The Cannonball Run a few years ago and thought it was awful -- can't believe there was ever a time me and my friends found it amusing.

So then, should I simply skip Smokey, or is it generally a better film than the two aforesaid?
It is much better than either of those two movies.

Is it a great movie? No. It's a fun 90 minute waste of time. If you like car chase movies, it's fun. But your life won't be poorer for missing it.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:52 AM

16,178 posts, read 20,188,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It is much better than either of those two movies.

Is it a great movie? No. It's a fun 90 minute waste of time. If you like car chase movies, it's fun. But your life won't be poorer for missing it.
If you asked Burt Reynolds and Sally Field if they thought this movie would be nominated for a bunch of movie awards, IMO they would laugh and say, "hey, it's all about the laughs!"

Throw in Jackie Gleason as sheriff Buford T. Justice and yep, you got lots of laughs! I look back at what the movie was all about and it reminds me of a couple guys I worked with in my construction days back in the 1970's. Heh, both of them took a truckload of Coors beer back east! Jerry Reed turned in a pretty good performance as the semi driver. By this time he had a few acting credits with television and movies and did a good job here. It was natural for him to be cast. It was only a few years back that he was at the top of the country music charts with hits like "Amos Moses", "If You're Hot You're Hot", and "Lord Mr. Ford." And a top 5 song came out of this movie as well--"Westbound and Down."

Old 10-02-2015, 09:59 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,708,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
If you asked Burt Reynolds and Sally Field if they thought this movie would be nominated for a bunch of movie awards, IMO they would laugh and say, "hey, it's all about the laughs!"

Throw in Jackie Gleason as sheriff Buford T. Justice and yep, you got lots of laughs! I look back at what the movie was all about and it reminds me of a couple guys I worked with in my construction days back in the 1970's. Heh, both of them took a truckload of Coors beer back east! Jerry Reed turned in a pretty good performance as the semi driver. IIRC he wasn't in any other movies that I was aware of, but did a good job here. It was natural for him to be cast. It was only a few years back that he was at the top of the country music charts with hits like "Amos Moses", "If You're Hot You're Hot", and "Lord Mr. Ford." And a top 5 song came out of this movie as well--"Westbound and Down."

I agree.

My favorite parts of the movie are the Gleason one-liners.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:58 AM

15,090 posts, read 19,732,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Throw in Jackie Gleason as sheriff Buford T. Justice and yep, you got lots of laughs! I look back at what the movie was all about and it reminds me of a couple guys I worked with in my construction days back in the 1970's. Heh, both of them took a truckload of Coors beer back east! Jerry Reed turned in a pretty good performance as the semi driver. By this time he had a few acting credits with television and movies and did a good job here. It was natural for him to be cast. It was only a few years back that he was at the top of the country music charts with hits like "Amos Moses", "If You're Hot You're Hot", and "Lord Mr. Ford." And a top 5 song came out of this movie as well--"Westbound and Down."
Jerry Reed and Jackie Gleason are the best part of the movie. I've never found Burt Reynolds funny. He's a much better dramatic actor. I just don't get his "cackling doofus" brand of humor.

Jerry was actually a very under-rated actor. Ever seen The Survivors? He steals the movie from Robin Williams and Walter Matthau.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:06 PM

825 posts, read 528,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post

No. "Cannonball Run" rivals "Citizen Kane" as one of the best all time cinematic productions. Burt Reyonlds' performance rivals that of Orson Welles.

Seriously? You already wasted 90 minues on "Stroker Ace" What's another 90 minutes?

But, if you want to see a decent Burt Reynolds movie, see "White Lightning." Or "Deliverance." Or even "The Longest Yard" (the original, not the god-awful re-make).

Old 10-04-2015, 08:22 PM

8,559 posts, read 11,882,943 times
It's a classic piece of movie magic. It's worth it for Jackie Gleason alone.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:05 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,471,337 times
Ind33d!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies