U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 10:13 PM

19,779 posts, read 10,449,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Again, same difference. All are officially sanctioned teams with changing line-ups. What do you mean "not team up all that often"? In the comics, each of those teams was a constant. In the MCU, they're doing it somewhat differently because they want each film to adhere to present-day chronology versus an episodic continuity. That's why we hear (but don't see) about Stark back to business as Iron Man in The Winter Soldier.
Even still, the X-Men (well even with the blue and gold squads and the spin-offs like New Mutants, X Factor, X Force and Generation X) were basically teams that stuck together and maybe introduced a new person here and had someone die or go bad there. JSA, JLA, JLI and Avengers would have rather fluid teams that changed reguarly based on needs and who was needed elsewhere. Say for Avengers Disassembled the Scott Lang Ant-Man was needed to be one of the McGuffins as was She-Hulk so she could go berserker. The movies bring the team together when we see a big enough threat that warrants a full team like the HYDRA cells in Europe and then Ultron.

Quote:
LOL. Sure, buddy.
You see something I don't. I can't explain it to you beyond what I have and the same goes for the inverse.

Quote:
I wouldn't compare it to TFA. That was one of the biggest examples of mishandling a truly massive threat that I've ever seen. My bro-in-law is an immense Star Wars fanboy, and every criticism I vocalized, including the relative ease with which the X-Wing squadron dispatched the Starkiller, he met with "It's just the first movie! It's a trilogy!"
I would because in Days of Future Past, it was mostly relegated to just mutants rather than sentiels taking over the world and even marking parents of potential mutant children and even powered individuals as threats (mainly because non exist in the Fox movies anymore, not even Fantastic Four.) Apocalypse looks like typical Apocalypse and wanting to destroy the weak and leave the strong and like always, the X-Men are trying to stop this.

Quote:
They did show the ginormity of that last assault ship or, presumably, mothership. The perspective may have been purposely misleading, but they made it appear positively gargantuan.
I'm not saying anything was, just that showing the cities exploding worked well the last time as a teaser. Hell, that's all they needed to get me to watch. Why does Hollywood insist on these two minute trailers that virtually give it all away.

Quote:
You misunderstand. The key is the lower-case v that is part of the title. Zack explained it. And showing them standing side-by-side, IMO, is not a spoiler. This is not an adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns, however which way Miller's concept may have informed Snyder's vision for the movie.
I know what it is (a court-room versus rather than a fight) and it looks like they do fight as with the trailer and if they don't spend most of the movie fighting in some way (beyond sparing in their alter egos), whoa boy will there be a s***storm from DC fanboys and others. It would be a misleading name and marketing for this and an EPIC mistake for a movie that NEEDS to create the goodwill to drive the rest of this series. If Batman v. Superman pulls a Fantastic Four like bait and switch that Superman and Batman don't really fight, I will walk out of the theater and NEVER see a DC movie again and I'm sure other fans will do the exact same thing. That will hurt Suicide Squad (which let's face it, would need the good will from BvS) Wonder Woman and Justice League 1 maybe safer but still would be not as successful with a Man of Steel backlash for a second movie.

If it was Synder's Dark Knight Returns, we would likely see Superman in a smaller role and then an EPIC Fight between the two and a couple of Batman villains. Instead we see silly Lex who tries his best Riddler and a Zod based Frankenstein's Monster with Wonder Woman saving Batman's butt. The reason I say this, look at how close he nailed The Watchmen. Instead it is Bruce Wayne taking issue with Superman and dawning the old cape and cowl again and then Superman thinking this returning Batman is doing things outside of Truth, Justice and the American Way (even though Supes did a more harmful thing than the trailers showed Batman doing to the thugs of Gotham City.)

In spite of the absence of snow?

Could have been in the mountains of the same planet...

Quote:
TDKR is a future tale that can be stuck on the end of Batman's career like a Lego piece. It doesn't affect current ongoing story arcs. Year One/Two/Three were legitimately recognized reboots until the New 52 company-wide reboot.
Yes and no because Batman and Green Lantern were not really rebooted, just had minor retcons compared to most of the heroes. This is because of how these have gone in the mythos. Batman had four Robins by that point and three were popular as the character (Jason Todd became popular later) along with at least two Batgirls in the Earth-1 continuity. The main change was that Barbara Gordon wasn't permanently paralyzed. Green Lantern's retcon was hardly noticeable.

Quote:
I can almost guarantee you you're the only guy who thinks the Doom Patrol was a riff on the Fantastic Four. Refer back to that quote by Drake.
Actually my knowledge comes from two different youtube personalities. The powers and looks are fairly similar to the F4, though the Sue Storm role is not clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWeMbKndAFc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkWZ83OPdgQ

Quote:
Not sure how this connects to Deadpool.
Basically it depends on points of view. It's like people thinking the egg came first or the chicken came first or if a tree falling in the forest makes a sound if no one can hear it. Deadpool at the least was unintentionally the love child of Deathstroke and Spider-Man and at worst a rip-off (not the first and far from the last.) The same goes for if X-Men stole from Doom Patrol, Doom Patrol stole from Fantastic Four and Fantastic Four had stolen from Challengers. From one prospective, they did but from another it is "inspired by" while another is no link and is a Vanilla Ice vs. Queen & David Bowie situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-1_9-z9rbY

Quote:
There may be some bits and pieces of Quiver in the show, but if so, it's distilled down into an unrecognizable mash. In that story, a dead GA is reanimated, has only his memories up to The Longbow Hunters, but Oliver's soul is absent, having chosen to remain in Heaven.
Of course, any storyline is fodder eventually. I hope there's a Super-MAX season eventually (maybe next season based on the events of this season?

Quote:
Post-Crisis? No, way before that. I know you're thinking of the actual comic that put both their names side-by-side on the cover, but they interacted in stories in the '70s in Green Lantern/Green Arrow, for example, when O'Neil and Adams were writing/drawing it, and beyond.
But they still didn't team until after Widow enlisted Hawkeye for missions against Stark Industries in 1960's Iron Man while she was a part of the KGB.

Quote:
They won't do a full-on blitz of VIII until it's nearly time for Rogue One, because, well, they won't really have to. Five months will be plenty of time to promote VIII and Star Wars is a brand that sells itself.
It could but we also see elaborate campaigns going back even nine months to a year in advance. Batman v. Superman had a teaser 11 months ahead of release, Captain America: The First Avenger had a primary teaser for The Avengers some nine months ahead of release. Man of Steel had a teaser attached to The Dark Knight Rises 11 months ahead of release. Suicide Squad and The Force Awakens both had 13 month ahead of release trailers released.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 03:05 PM

2,520 posts, read 815,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Even still, the X-Men (well even with the blue and gold squads and the spin-offs like New Mutants, X Factor, X Force and Generation X) were basically teams that stuck together and maybe introduced a new person here and had someone die or go bad there. JSA, JLA, JLI and Avengers would have rather fluid teams that changed reguarly based on needs and who was needed elsewhere. Say for Avengers Disassembled the Scott Lang Ant-Man was needed to be one of the McGuffins as was She-Hulk so she could go berserker. The movies bring the team together when we see a big enough threat that warrants a full team like the HYDRA cells in Europe and then Ultron.
The word "superteam" is a descriptor, one applicable to all of the above. Not sure why you have a problem with one team having the label and another not. They all fit.

Quote:
Why does Hollywood insist on these two minute trailers that virtually give it all away.
Why does Marvel virtually hemorrhage info regarding an upcoming film like Civil War? Even before that nice spoiler-filled artwork, we had details on who is on whose side. Feige is unfamiliar with ambiguity.

Quote:
If Batman v. Superman pulls a Fantastic Four like bait and switch that Superman and Batman don't really fight,
Won't happen. Bait-and-switch is what happened with Iron Man 3. Didn't stop anybody from depositing more money in the coffers of Disney-Marvel.

Quote:
I will walk out of the theater and NEVER see a DC movie again and I'm sure other fans will do the exact same thing.
LOL. Somehow I doubt that. If the likes of Iron Man 2 & 3 and Thor 2 didn't scare you away from the MCU, you'll be just fine.

Quote:
If it was Synder's Dark Knight Returns
Well, it's not. TDKR was adapted in its entirety as a fine two-part animated feature, though.

Quote:
Yes and no because Batman and Green Lantern were not really rebooted, just had minor retcons compared to most of the heroes. This is because of how these have gone in the mythos. Batman had four Robins by that point and three were popular as the character (Jason Todd became popular later) along with at least two Batgirls in the Earth-1 continuity. The main change was that Barbara Gordon wasn't permanently paralyzed. Green Lantern's retcon was hardly noticeable.

The official press is that it was a company-wide reset. It doesn't mean that Green Lantern will now be a guy born in Mongolia.

Quote:
Actually my knowledge comes from two different youtube personalities.
YouTube personality = guy with a webcam posting commentary. Speculation — nothing more, nothing less. We're doing the same thing here. Remember that block quote I pasted, the words of a certain Mr. Arnold Drake? That's the kind of source you want to reference, not some kid who colors his hair when he's bored.

Quote:
Basically it depends on points of view. It's like people thinking the egg came first or the chicken came first or if a tree falling in the forest makes a sound if no one can hear it. Deadpool at the least was unintentionally the love child of Deathstroke and Spider-Man and at worst a rip-off (not the first and far from the last.)
There is nothing UNintentional about Deadpool and the creation thereof. The character is a literal fusion of Deathstroke (75%) and Spider-Man (25%). We don't need to make excuses for guys like Liefeld. Remember, he created Four-arm.

Quote:
The same goes for if X-Men stole from Doom Patrol, Doom Patrol stole from Fantastic Four and Fantastic Four had stolen from Challengers. From one prospective, they did but from another it is "inspired by" while another is no link and is a Vanilla Ice vs. Queen & David Bowie situation.
How the hell can anybody deny outright the X-Men weren't directly "inspired by" the Doom Patrol when they both consist of "misfits with gifts," both were initially quartets (in the case of X-Men, plus one) who share a leader-mentor in a wheelchair, have a "tough guy" (Beast/Robotman), a guy with a "strange(r) power," and the token female? Plus, the covers of each team's first appearance bore the words "strangest heroes" in a slightly different configuration: "Legion of the World's Strangest Heroes" (My Greatest Adventure #80); "The Strangest Super-Heroes Of All!" (X-Men #1).

There is no argument. The only loophole people usually go for is the production lag issue, and it's not an issue because DC and Marvel had people working on both their production staffs in those days. There was a lot of crossover with regard to paste-ups, proofreading and copy work. Every editor had an assistant. And so on.

Quote:
But they still didn't team until after Widow enlisted Hawkeye for missions against Stark Industries in 1960's Iron Man while she was a part of the KGB.
Which issues in particular are you referencing? Hawkeye had a sum total of three appearances before he became an Avenger in 1965. Black Widow (Romanoff) appeared only a few issues before Hawkeye in Tales of Suspense. There is no "team-up" that you speak of. Hawkeye was basically a hired gun. That, I can buy.

Quote:
It could but we also see elaborate campaigns going back even nine months to a year in advance. Batman v. Superman had a teaser 11 months ahead of release, Captain America: The First Avenger had a primary teaser for The Avengers some nine months ahead of release. Man of Steel had a teaser attached to The Dark Knight Rises 11 months ahead of release. Suicide Squad and The Force Awakens both had 13 month ahead of release trailers released.
BvS has been in the can for a while. Suicide Squad was part of the Comic Con presentation.

It doesn't really matter if/when. I'm just not sure how much promotional overlap they're going to do where their anthology and sequential films are concerned. If Disney goes for all-out overkill, it will lead to Star Wars fatigue.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:56 PM

12,160 posts, read 16,632,434 times
Quote:
The official press is that it was a company-wide reset. It doesn't mean that Green Lantern will now be a guy born in Mongolia.
A Mongolian Green Lantern might actually get me interested in the movie.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
A Mongolian Green Lantern might actually get me interested in the movie.
Green Lantern Corps is the announced title of the eventual movie. We're talking about DC Comics' New 52.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
The word "superteam" is a descriptor, one applicable to all of the above. Not sure why you have a problem with one team having the label and another not. They all fit.
Because to me superteam is more of a group that comes together only in times of crisis like say Justice League, The Avengers, The Defenders, Teen Titans, Young Justice, Young Avengers, etc. X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor, New Mutants, Excaliber, The New Mutants and Generation X are much more of a team similar to say Fantastic Four or Doom Patrol and are regular. The other groups I've mentioned are much more fluid and join together when they need to. I mean Batman doesn't just stop fighting crime in Gotham, leaving the Justice League after the Legion of Doom is put at bay just as Wolverine after fighting as an Avenger will go back to his duties at the X Mansion to help lead and train the school for the gifted. That's my point.

Quote:
Why does Marvel virtually hemorrhage info regarding an upcoming film like Civil War? Even before that nice spoiler-filled artwork, we had details on who is on whose side. Feige is unfamiliar with ambiguity.
Because all if not most studios do that. Bryan Singer did set pictures of the Egyptian chamber on his social media. Fox released Fantastic Four green screen work in 2014 for some reason and even D.C. alluded to Doomsday in the Batman V. Superman synopsis.

Quote:
Won't happen. Bait-and-switch is what happened with Iron Man 3. Didn't stop anybody from depositing more money in the coffers of Disney-Marvel.
Yes but remember the MCU had The Avengers and Iron Man create goodwill for the movie. This is why Fox went out of their way to try and attach X-Men Days of Future Past to Fantastic Four and again Deadpool, create goodwill. Man of Steel didn't exactly do that to lead into Batman V. Superman as some loved it but a good number didn't like it or if not hated it. For me, it was just there. That said, should Batman V. Supermam be a letdown, it can be the beginning of the end of Warner' plans for the DCEU. Imagine if Iron Man never took off in 2008. That would be the stakes.

Quote:
LOL. Somehow I doubt that. If the likes of Iron Man 2 & 3 and Thor 2 didn't scare you away from the MCU, you'll be just fine.
For all the complaining about Iron Man 3, it had the largest box office of any non Avenger MCU movie. Thor: The Dark World and Iron Man 2 well they were mitigated by other movies. Perhaps Suicide Squad can be if Batman V. Superman doesn't shat the bed causing a huge weekend #2 drop.

Quote:
Well, it's not. TDKR was adapted in its entirety as a fine two-part animated feature, though.
One that I have in my movie collection even if I am not a D.C. animated movie buff because it is such a great story.

All I was explaining was that Superman wouldn't really be seen a whole lot outside of a tease of a fight and trying to talk Bruce down and maybe the Gotham destruction in the actual trailer...

Quote:
Except that for the most part the Bat Family and Green Lanterns kept the stories they had. Blackest Night and Brightest Day just happened making Kyle Rainer the White Lantern, that was retained. John Stewart's origin was never retconned making his 1970's origin story in continuity. Barbara Gordon was indeed shot and paralyzed in The Killing Joke but she ended up like the villager who got turned into a newt and got better. Tim Drake was the only one of note with a new back story and at that, it was basically a slight change here and there. The fact is the Bat Family and the Green Lanterns of Earth-1 were largely unchanged. Alan Scott on Earth-2, that is a bit different...

Quote:
YouTube personality = guy with a webcam posting commentary. Speculation — nothing more, nothing less. We're doing the same thing here. Remember that block quote I pasted, the words of a certain Mr. Arnold Drake? That's the kind of source you want to reference, not some kid who colors his hair when he's bored.
Nice ad-hom attack on Faust who happens to like D.C Comics, especially Teen Titans going so far as to do solo vidoe for Raven, Starfire and Beast Boy along with several Teen Titans videos. As for the other one from Nerdsync, he researches his video topics extensively and even uses use philosophical ideas around them. I really suggest watching some of his videos because he really does a great job explaining about weird comics (like the time Captain America was a werewolf or the time Thor was a Nazi sympathizer or when Superman hit it Lois Lane with a fat ray or trying to explain Arm Fall Off Boy.) These are simply not guys just speculating unless there is no facts like say Rob from Comics Explained does (and at that he comes right out and says it.)

If you cannot respect their points on the matter, I don't know what to tell you because there is no hard proof that the X-Men were or weren't rip-offs of Doom Patrol as nobody creatively from Marvel admits unlike the Deadpool story or Fantastic Four being loosley based on Justice League in that Stan Lee wanted to do a book similar to Justice League. Had Kirby and/or Lee said X-Men were inspired or rip-offs of Doom Platrol, it would be a closed case but it is not that simple. Also resorting to ad-hom attacks prove you have nothing left to say.

Quote:
There is nothing UNintentional about Deadpool and the creation thereof. The character is a literal fusion of Deathstroke (75%) and Spider-Man (25%). We don't need to make excuses for guys like Liefeld. Remember, he created Four-arm.
The story on if Deathstroke was parriodied or copied or if was encouraged by Spider-Man and just looked like Deathstroke when creating Deadpool changes with the day so it is hard to know which is correct. All that we do know is the name is taken from the fact the outfits did look so much alike. There is another Nerdsync video about this very topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qth7tc5O3gA

Quote:
How the hell can anybody deny outright the X-Men weren't directly "inspired by" the Doom Patrol when they both consist of "misfits with gifts," both were initially quartets (in the case of X-Men, plus one) who share a leader-mentor in a wheelchair, have a "tough guy" (Beast/Robotman), a guy with a "strange(r) power," and the token female? Plus, the covers of each team's first appearance bore the words "strangest heroes" in a slightly different configuration: "Legion of the World's Strangest Heroes" (My Greatest Adventure #80); "The Strangest Super-Heroes Of All!" (X-Men #1).

There is no argument. The only loophole people usually go for is the production lag issue, and it's not an issue because DC and Marvel had people working on both their production staffs in those days. There was a lot of crossover with regard to paste-ups, proofreading and copy work. Every editor had an assistant. And so on.
Because it is widely known that bouth were in theory based off of the idea of Fantastic Four, People with special powers brought together to fight off evil. In the case of the X-Men, it wasn't monsters par-say and was rather their own mutants but those that resorted to crime or trying to takeover the Earth and enslave and/or destroy humans. Neither Fantastic Four nor Doom Patrol had that intricate of villain. So maybe in someways the timing at best was off, the idea of Doom Patrol was better executed in X-Men ( though more so in All Different X-Men.)

Quote:
Which issues in particular are you referencing? Hawkeye had a sum total of three appearances before he became an Avenger in 1965. Black Widow (Romanoff) appeared only a few issues before Hawkeye in Tales of Suspense. There is no "team-up" that you speak of. Hawkeye was basically a hired gun. That, I can buy.
I am not sure, I caught it on wikipedia (though not always the best source.)
Quote:
BvS has been in the can for a while. Suicide Squad was part of the Comic Con presentation.
I was talking Rogue One and Episode VIII, I just left those out due to not trying to create a huge long answer.

Quote:
It doesn't really matter if/when. I'm just not sure how much promotional overlap they're going to do where their anthology and sequential films are concerned. If Disney goes for all-out overkill, it will lead to Star Wars fatigue.
Here's thing though, Rogue One comes out on December 16, 2016, while Episode VIII comes out May 26, 2017. A mere six months later. It may seem like a lot but remember, I did note that we have seen teasers and/or trailer ones (I'm going by length as teasers are under two minutes in length typically) come out as early as a 13 months before a movie comes out. I know Disney sometimes goes weird on when they release the first teaser or trailer in movies like this (as Guardians of the Galaxy didn't have a trailer with Captain America: The Winter Soldier) but I do think waiting until after Rogue One is a little too late to create an Episode VIII hype train. I'm on it like I was with Apocalypse just by seeing and hearing about the end-credit scene for Days of Future Past but I am a die-hard fan, I'm not someone like a friend of mine who just saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens because of the hype (I have to show her the other movies at some point.) But the average fans have heard about this movie dating back to a trailer released in April, if not the Black Friday 2014 trailer. The one good thing is the goodwill it creates.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Green Lantern Corps is the announced title of the eventual movie. We're talking about DC Comics' New 52.
Is there a Mongolian Lantern? Otherwise, I'm not too interested.

I haven't read GL in years. Is his weakness still the color yellow and wood? It's just hard for me to root for a super hero that I could defeat with a No. 2 pencil.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Is there a Mongolian Lantern? Otherwise, I'm not too interested.

I haven't read GL in years. Is his weakness still the color yellow and wood? It's just hard for me to root for a super hero that I could defeat with a No. 2 pencil.
Yellow is the weakness as it is the polar opposite of green. Green in will while yelllow is fear. There is an entire emotional spectrum but the wood thing I don't think has existed outside of the pre-New 52 Alan Scott though I am not sure on an exact date of a retcon.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:47 AM

492 posts, read 425,238 times
Savage hulk devoid of Banner verses all X men. At the end of the movie they find a way to subdue him. The ship him off into space and now you can make a World War Hulk movie.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:48 AM

^Won't happen. You won't see Hulk vs. any mutants anytime soon.

For that matter, I doubt we'll see a World War Hulk movie, too. And for that to happen, a Planet Hulk movie must happen first. (And I'm all for both, those are great stories!)

Old 01-07-2016, 11:01 AM

I disliked World War Hulk. In fact, I haven't liked any Hulk stories since Bruce Jones left.

Hulk as a character is interesting due to the conflict with Banner. That is what makes Hulk fascinating. Taking away Banner and just coming up with bigger and badder things for Hulk to SMASH! Meh. Not interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies