U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2016, 11:57 AM
 
3,543 posts, read 1,206,670 times
Reputation: 2016

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I disliked World War Hulk. In fact, I haven't liked any Hulk stories since Bruce Jones left.

Hulk as a character is interesting due to the conflict with Banner. That is what makes Hulk fascinating. Taking away Banner and just coming up with bigger and badder things for Hulk to SMASH! Meh. Not interested.
I love the '70s stories where Banner was trapped in his Hulk form but retained his intelligence and persona, and was subsequently shrunk to a subatomic size. Those were awesome stories.

Planet Hulk and WWH are still cool stories. Basically the best derivation and summation of all epic-scale Hulk vs. Everybody Else conflicts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2016, 10:10 AM
 
3,543 posts, read 1,206,670 times
Reputation: 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Because to me superteam is more of a group that comes together only in times of crisis like say Justice League, The Avengers, The Defenders, Teen Titans, Young Justice, Young Avengers, etc. X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor, New Mutants, Excaliber, The New Mutants and Generation X are much more of a team similar to say Fantastic Four or Doom Patrol and are regular. The other groups I've mentioned are much more fluid and join together when they need to. I mean Batman doesn't just stop fighting crime in Gotham, leaving the Justice League after the Legion of Doom is put at bay just as Wolverine after fighting as an Avenger will go back to his duties at the X Mansion to help lead and train the school for the gifted. That's my point.
The only difference is how you use term superteam the way others use supergroup, to describe a bunch of musicians from other bands coming together to record an album.

There's a slight problem with your argument above, though. You write:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Because to me superteam is more of a group that comes together only in times of crisis like say Justice League, The Avengers, The Defenders, Teen Titans, Young Justice, Young Avengers, etc. X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor, New Mutants, Excaliber, The New Mutants and Generation X are much more of a team similar to say Fantastic Four or Doom Patrol and are regular
I'm not sure which comics you've read, during which phases of publication (etc.), but teams like the Titans and the Defenders were not groups that "only united in times of crisis." At least not when I was reading them. Wolfman's & Pérez's New [Teen] Titans consisted of most of them being together 85% of the time and living together in Titans Tower (though Dick Grayson might have his own apartment, and Donna Troy eventually got married).

Batman or Cap having their own cases to solve outside the JL or Avengers does not preclude either team's "super" status. Nor does it for any other. It's merely a descriptor. Way too much of a nitpick there, Señor Punk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
For all the complaining about Iron Man 3, it had the largest box office of any non Avenger MCU movie.
Not that again. We all know why it hit the billion mark: it was the first MCU film to follow The Avengers. And the only movie to do it since is Age of Ultron, for the obvious reason. Will Civil War be able to do it? Who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Suicide Squad can be if Batman V. Superman doesn't shat the bed causing a huge weekend #2 drop.

I'll be perfectly realistic. Even if BvS does a billion dollar gross, Suicide Squad won't. It just won't. I want it do well, and I think it'll be a really cool movie. But it won't do a billion dollars (and it doesn't have to).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Nice ad-hom attack on Faust who happens to like D.C Comics, especially Teen Titans going so far as to do solo vidoe for Raven, Starfire and Beast Boy along with several Teen Titans videos. As for the other one from Nerdsync, he researches his video topics extensively and even uses use philosophical ideas around them. I really suggest watching some of his videos because he really does a great job explaining about weird comics (like the time Captain America was a werewolf or the time Thor was a Nazi sympathizer or when Superman hit it Lois Lane with a fat ray or trying to explain Arm Fall Off Boy.) These are simply not guys just speculating unless there is no facts like say Rob from Comics Explained does (and at that he comes right out and says it.)
There are some fantastic books (no doubt the very same ones these guys are reading to prep for their webcasts) on every topic imaginable when it comes to comic book history. I'll stick to those.

These are the only live comics news webcasts I indulge: Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman, and the DC Movie News and Marvel Movie News shows sponsored by Popcorn Talk on YouTube.


The latest DCMN:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQr0IRPB7gY


Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Also resorting to ad-hom attacks prove you have nothing left to say.
No, it simply means my mind's made up where the Doom Patrol and the X-Men are concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I am not sure, I caught it on wikipedia (though not always the best source.)
And it's not even on Wiki, so I'm not sure where you got that bit about Hawkeye and Black Widow being some kind of villain "duo" in their earliest appearances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2016, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Maine
12,790 posts, read 17,451,324 times
Reputation: 13795
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Even if BvS does a billion dollar gross, Suicide Squad won't. It just won't. I want it do well, and I think it'll be a really cool movie. But it won't do a billion dollars (and it doesn't have to).
I doubt BvS will do a billion dollars. I have just enough faith left in humanity to believe that no Zack Snyder movie will ever make a billion dollars. Seriously though, I'm betting this movie will be a lot like Snyder's last super hero flick: Good but not great. Once word gets out, lots of people will decide to stay home and wait for the DVD.

And I doubt Suicide Squad will even do that well. Even if it is a better movie, its darker tone is going to keep a lot of kids away. My 10 year old saw the trailer and is already too scared to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2016, 11:27 AM
 
3,543 posts, read 1,206,670 times
Reputation: 2016
Look at you, the hater!

Hey, Zack's got at least three rockin' movies to his credit: Dawn of the Dead (2004), Watchmen and Man of Steel.

David Ayer is another director whose style I like. I think he's going to crush it. We also know Affleck's got directorial chops.

Besides the Russos and Scott Derrickson, a (horror) director I really like, Marvel's overall track record with directors is nothing revolutionary, so far.

Joss Whedon? One. (This guy is MAJORLY overrated. Firefly and Serenity sucked!) The second Avengers is essentially a redux of the first.

Jon Favreau? One. (Iron Man 2 was admittedly a rush job, and I haven't seen Chef, which I hear is good.)

Branagh directed Thor, and overall it's solid but it drags in places. The second movie sucks and I forget who directed it (and I'm too lazy to look it up). Shane Black directed IM3 and that should've never happened. He should stick to writing (and he's also been coming up short in that area). Then there's Peyton and Ant-Man, and the third act was a uniformly MCU runaround.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2016, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Maine
12,790 posts, read 17,451,324 times
Reputation: 13795
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Look at you, the hater!
I only hate that which deserves my hate.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Hey, Zack's got at least three rockin' movies to his credit: Dawn of the Dead (2004), Watchmen and Man of Steel.
I actually did like the Dawn of the Dead remake. Not a great movie, but good. Entertaining at least. I never saw Watchmen because I disliked the graphic novel so much. I actually loved about the first half of Man of Steel. But then the second half happened. I never bothered with 300 because the trailers alone made my eyes hurt from rolling.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
David Ayer is another director whose style I like. I think he's going to crush it. We also know Affleck's got directorial chops.
The only Ayer movie I've seen is Training Day, which I liked a lot. I hope Suicide Squad will be great, and I was certainly impressed by the trailer. I just don't think it is going to be a monster hit because it is too dark to attract a sizeable young audience.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Joss Whedon? One. (This guy is MAJORLY overrated. Firefly and Serenity sucked!) The second Avengers is essentially a redux of the first.
Check today's temperature in Hell, because I could not possibly agree with you more. I have yet to find the rabid appeal of Joss Whedon. I liked the first AVENGERS movie. Didn't love it. Liked it. Was hugely disappointed in Avengers 2, which was (let's be honest) a pretty bad movie. Absolutely hated Firefly, which is primarily why I have never watched Serenity.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Jon Favreau? One. (Iron Man 2 was admittedly a rush job, and I haven't seen Chef, which I hear is good.)
Loved the first IRON MAN movie. Still one of Marvel's best. IRON MAN 2 didn't work, though apparently that was due largely to Marvel and not Favreau. You should watch Chef. Very good movie. The ending is a tad forced and tidy, but still a fun movie nonetheless.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Branagh directed Thor, and overall it's solid but it drags in places. The second movie sucks and I forget who directed it (and I'm too lazy to look it up).
I didn't hate either Thor movie, but I didn't like them either. They're meh.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Then there's Peyton and Ant-Man, and the third act was a uniformly MCU runaround.
I loved Ant Man. Not a perfect movie. I actually thought it needed another 20-30 minutes of story to reach perfection, but I loved all of what was there. Probably one of my favorite Marvel movies to date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2016, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
21,468 posts, read 11,632,088 times
Reputation: 7796
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The only difference is how you use term superteam the way others use supergroup, to describe a bunch of musicians from other bands coming together to record an album.

There's a slight problem with your argument above, though. You write:



I'm not sure which comics you've read, during which phases of publication (etc.), but teams like the Titans and the Defenders were not groups that "only united in times of crisis." At least not when I was reading them. Wolfman's & Pérez's New [Teen] Titans consisted of most of them being together 85% of the time and living together in Titans Tower (though Dick Grayson might have his own apartment, and Donna Troy eventually got married).

Batman or Cap having their own cases to solve outside the JL or Avengers does not preclude either team's "super" status. Nor does it for any other. It's merely a descriptor. Way too much of a nitpick there, Señor Punk.
I can conceed on Defenders and Titans being full-time teams but the so are the X-teams, Fantastic Fours, Guardians and even Doom Patrol. I don't see them as a superteam the way I do JLA, JLI or the various Avengers squad. Maybe that is me, Inono.

Quote:
Not that again. We all know why it hit the billion mark: it was the first MCU film to follow The Avengers. And the only movie to do it since is Age of Ultron, for the obvious reason. Will Civil War be able to do it? Who knows?
The point is that one bomb can be mitigated by a huge success. Iron Man 3 did that for Thor: The Dark World which still did make more money than Thor did despite being a much worse movie. Batman V. Superman will have goodwill even with Man of Steel being that polarizing because of Batman and Superman being on screen at the same time and the first ever on-screen appearance of Wonder Women in movies. The question is can they get repeat business the way say Avengers and Star Wars did due to the movie being at the very least damn good. Let's put it this way, Fantastic Four didn't because the movie sucked to many (I thought it was great until the Doom appearance from whatever they called the Negative Zone.)

Quote:
I'll be perfectly realistic. Even if BvS does a billion dollar gross, Suicide Squad won't. It just won't. I want it do well, and I think it'll be a really cool movie. But it won't do a billion dollars (and it doesn't have to).
Suicide Squad will have to make double its budget to break even on production alone and double its advertising to fully break-even. As of right now, there is no stats on this. FYI, Batman V. Superman has to beat $400m alone on production budget ($200m budget.) This is due to the rule of thumb for box office takes half goes to the studios who made the movie you are seeing, half stays with the theaters you are seeing the movie in.

Quote:
There are some fantastic books (no doubt the very same ones these guys are reading to prep for their webcasts) on every topic imaginable when it comes to comic book history. I'll stick to those.

These are the only live comics news webcasts I indulge: Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman, and the DC Movie News and Marvel Movie News shows sponsored by Popcorn Talk on YouTube.


The latest DCMN:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQr0IRPB7gY
I actually do follow DC and Marvel Movie news along with the recent Disney Movie News and Box Office Report from Popcorn Talk when I can as Behind the Trailer's Morning Movie News and Collide Movie Talk and their spin-offs are my priorities when I am off the clock. What I like about say Faust for It's Super Effective, Scott for Nerdsync, Arris for Variant, Ethan for Comic Pop, Ben for Comicstorian and Rob for Comics Explained is that they direct it towards the comic rather than movies for the most part (barring weekly pull or Comicstorian TV videos.) I doubt they do NOT prep for their videos. Faust for Teen Titans for instance, might just have to double check when Raven stopped Greyson and Starfire's wedding but yet he can rattle off the events like the back of his own hands. I know Scott and Rob both do this.

Quote:
No, it simply means my mind's made up where the Doom Patrol and the X-Men are concerned.
And it is a certain point of view as Obi-Wan Kenobi has stated. It has logic but is a bit of a stretch to say it is a direct copy. You have a much better chance of saying Fantastic Four is Justice League, mainly because Stan Lee said that JLA inspired him to try with Fantastic Four.

And it's not even on Wiki, so I'm not sure where you got that bit about Hawkeye and Black Widow being some kind of villain "duo" in their earliest appearances. [/quote]

Here's the exerpt from Hawkeye's wikipedia.

Quote:
Clint adapted his archery skills to become a star carnival attraction, a master archer called "Hawkeye", otherwise known as “The World’s Greatest Marksman”. He spent some time as a member of Tiboldt's Circus, before joining the Coney Island Circus. He witnessed Iron Man in action and was inspired to become a costumed hero. However, after a misunderstanding on his first outing, Hawkeye was accused of theft and believed to be a criminal. On the run, the naive Hawkeye met the Black Widow, a spy for the Soviet Union, with whom he fell in love. Blindly following the Black Widow, Hawkeye aided her attempts to steal technology developed by Tony Stark. In one of their battles with Iron Man, the Black Widow was seriously injured. Hawkeye rescued her and fled the battle to save her life. But before Hawkeye could take her to a hospital, the Black Widow disappeared. Hawkeye decided to be a "straight-shooter" from then on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I doubt BvS will do a billion dollars. I have just enough faith left in humanity to believe that no Zack Snyder movie will ever make a billion dollars. Seriously though, I'm betting this movie will be a lot like Snyder's last super hero flick: Good but not great. Once word gets out, lots of people will decide to stay home and wait for the DVD.

And I doubt Suicide Squad will even do that well. Even if it is a better movie, its darker tone is going to keep a lot of kids away. My 10 year old saw the trailer and is already too scared to see it.
I haven't seen much of a reaction to Suicide Squad from average movie goers to be honest. I never saw the Comic-Con trailer in theaters (much like Batman V. Superman's) so I can't gauge reactions thus yet. Deadpool though, does have that kid factor. I remember seeing Fantastic Four opening weekend and seeing a kid no older than eight go crazy for seeing the green-band and here I am shaking my head wondering how many years will mom force this kid to wait after she finds it was rated-R. While Suicide Squad may not be rated R, I fear parents may treat it as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Look at you, the hater!

Hey, Zack's got at least three rockin' movies to his credit: Dawn of the Dead (2004), Watchmen and Man of Steel.

David Ayer is another director whose style I like. I think he's going to crush it. We also know Affleck's got directorial chops.

Besides the Russos and Scott Derrickson, a (horror) director I really like, Marvel's overall track record with directors is nothing revolutionary, so far.

Joss Whedon? One. (This guy is MAJORLY overrated. Firefly and Serenity sucked!) The second Avengers is essentially a redux of the first.

Jon Favreau? One. (Iron Man 2 was admittedly a rush job, and I haven't seen Chef, which I hear is good.)

Branagh directed Thor, and overall it's solid but it drags in places. The second movie sucks and I forget who directed it (and I'm too lazy to look it up). Shane Black directed IM3 and that should've never happened. He should stick to writing (and he's also been coming up short in that area). Then there's Peyton and Ant-Man, and the third act was a uniformly MCU runaround.
I must say it seems you forgot about James Gunn who I have seen his other super hero movie, Super which a great Kick-Ass style indie film that went under the radar. Also you got Ryan Coogler off of Creed for Black Panther now. Marvel isn't exactly hurting for directorial talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I only hate that which deserves my hate.
That wasn't even really hate.

Quote:
I actually did like the Dawn of the Dead remake. Not a great movie, but good. Entertaining at least. I never saw Watchmen because I disliked the graphic novel so much. I actually loved about the first half of Man of Steel. But then the second half happened. I never bothered with 300 because the trailers alone made my eyes hurt from rolling.
Never saw 300, that said Watchmen is the only movie by Synder I loved. Sucker Punch was the only film of his I've seen in theater and it was OK. Man of Steel I didn't really like, it's OK to me but I am not really a Superman fan. I only kind of as with Dean Cain's portrayal on Lois & Clark.

Quote:
The only Ayer movie I've seen is Training Day, which I liked a lot. I hope Suicide Squad will be great, and I was certainly impressed by the trailer. I just don't think it is going to be a monster hit because it is too dark to attract a sizeable young audience.
Ayer wrote the original The Fast & the Furious, that's the only movie I really saw by him. I do think his changes are a little too gritty and gangland for a comic movie if I do say so myself.

Quote:
Check today's temperature in Hell, because I could not possibly agree with you more. I have yet to find the rabid appeal of Joss Whedon. I liked the first AVENGERS movie. Didn't love it. Liked it. Was hugely disappointed in Avengers 2, which was (let's be honest) a pretty bad movie. Absolutely hated Firefly, which is primarily why I have never watched Serenity.
I haven't seen Firefly, nor Serenity and maybe an episode or two of Buffy. That's it. I did however really enjoy Whedon's work including writing The Cabin in the Woods. If you ever want to try to and watch a horror film that flips other tropes on its head the way Scream did, do yourself a favor and track that horror gem down. That said, I don't mind Whedon jokes. I just think he was a dummy for going out and complaining prior to Age of Ultron's release. It certainly wasn't Trank's Fantastic Four, that's for damn sure.

Quote:
Loved the first IRON MAN movie. Still one of Marvel's best. IRON MAN 2 didn't work, though apparently that was due largely to Marvel and not Favreau. You should watch Chef. Very good movie. The ending is a tad forced and tidy, but still a fun movie nonetheless.
The original Iron Man was one of those movies that I remember having mark-out moments for and quite possibly being the first I did it for as I caught references just from knowing the basic story from 90's cartoons featuring Stark.

Quote:
I didn't hate either Thor movie, but I didn't like them either. They're meh.
The Kenneth Branagh's films I've seen are amazing films whether Thor or Cinderella. I happen to think that Thor is the fourth best MCU film (behind Winter Soldier, Age of Ultron and The Avengers) of all and my favorite phase one solo film. So much layered storyline in there and done amazingly. I wish the rumors of him returning for Thor: Ragnarok were indeed true. Alas they are not.

I loved Ant Man. Not a perfect movie. I actually thought it needed another 20-30 minutes of story to reach perfection, but I loved all of what was there. Probably one of my favorite Marvel movies to date.[/quote]

I had a feeling Ant-Man was gonna be special but the problem is it was an average MCU movie as they are all very good/great films. It's really only the really great ones and the really bad ones I can separate from the crowd to be quite honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 04:30 AM
 
Location: Maine
12,790 posts, read 17,451,324 times
Reputation: 13795
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I did however really enjoy Whedon's work including writing The Cabin in the Woods. If you ever want to try to and watch a horror film that flips other tropes on its head the way Scream did, do yourself a favor and track that horror gem down.
I tried watching CitW. I think I made it about an hour before I gave up. It definitely had its moments of fun, but it was too goofy and far too aware of its own smartypantishness.

Elmore Leonard had the best advice for writers I have ever read, and his best advice on dialogue was, "If it sounds like writing, then rewrite it."

All of Whedon's dialogue sounds written. Very unnatural. Every time I watch a Joss Whedon movie, I get the image of him staring at his computer screen and thinking, "Okay, what bit of dialogue can I write that will show everyone that I really am the smartest person in the room?"


Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The Kenneth Branagh's films I've seen are amazing films whether Thor or Cinderella. I happen to think that Thor is the fourth best MCU film
To each his own. Thor looked great. No doubt. No one can fault Branagh for not being a talented visual director. Loki was fun. But the whole story illustrated exactly why I could never get in to the Thor comics, even as a kid: It's so ridiculously goofy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I had a feeling Ant-Man was gonna be special but the problem is it was an average MCU movie as they are all very good/great films. It's really only the really great ones and the really bad ones I can separate from the crowd to be quite honest.
The movie's largest faults were that it was too rushed and the villain too stereotypical. The villain needed another polish and the whole movie needed another 20 minutes of character development. Marvel seems insistent on action, action, action. But the action doesn't mean much if you don't care about the characters involved. I cared about the heroes in Ant-Man, but their caring for each other was too rushed. And the villain was so shallow I was a little afraid he was going to tie Hope to railroad tracks and grow a mustache just so he could twirl it and laugh sinisterly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 12:38 PM
 
3,543 posts, read 1,206,670 times
Reputation: 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I actually loved about the first half of Man of Steel. But then the second half happened.

I'm going to assume it was the neck snap that got to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The only Ayer movie I've seen is Training Day, which I liked a lot. I hope Suicide Squad will be great, and I was certainly impressed by the trailer. I just don't think it is going to be a monster hit because it is too dark to attract a sizeable young audience.

He wrote Training Day, but Antoine Fuqua (The Equalizer) directed. Ayer directed Fury and End of Watch, and I like both a lot. Though Fury is a WW2 film, it's actually less gritty than EoW. Both are great, though (and both have Michael Peña, LOL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Check today's temperature in Hell, because I could not possibly agree with you more. I have yet to find the rabid appeal of Joss Whedon. I liked the first AVENGERS movie. Didn't love it. Liked it. Was hugely disappointed in Avengers 2, which was (let's be honest) a pretty bad movie. Absolutely hated Firefly, which is primarily why I have never watched Serenity.
If you ever have a hard time dozing off, put on Serenity. It's "unabashedly Star Wars" in its wannabe-ness yet it's quite the lackluster flick. And that's being nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Loved the first IRON MAN movie. Still one of Marvel's best. IRON MAN 2 didn't work, though apparently that was due largely to Marvel and not Favreau. You should watch Chef. Very good movie. The ending is a tad forced and tidy, but still a fun movie nonetheless.
Yeah, I gotta check it out. It also has LeGuiz, and he's underrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I didn't hate either Thor movie, but I didn't like them either. They're meh.
Thor at least got the job done. I don't know what the hell happened to TDW, but it's obviously due to studio meddling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I loved Ant Man. Not a perfect movie. I actually thought it needed another 20-30 minutes of story to reach perfection, but I loved all of what was there. Probably one of my favorite Marvel movies to date.
The first two-thirds were solid, if formulaic. But the third act needed a complete do-over. And yes, Corey Stoll was wasted. The so-called "final battle" was stupid. The detour into the quantum realm was a much-needed detour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 12:58 PM
 
3,543 posts, read 1,206,670 times
Reputation: 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The point is that one bomb can be mitigated by a huge success. Iron Man 3 did that for Thor: The Dark World which still did make more money than Thor did despite being a much worse movie. Batman V. Superman will have goodwill even with Man of Steel being that polarizing because of Batman and Superman being on screen at the same time and the first ever on-screen appearance of Wonder Women in movies. The question is can they get repeat business the way say Avengers and Star Wars did due to the movie being at the very least damn good. Let's put it this way, Fantastic Four didn't because the movie sucked to many (I thought it was great until the Doom appearance from whatever they called the Negative Zone.)
Polarizing or not, Man of Steel soared to #1 in home video sales and added another 100 million via that circuit alone. I think at this stage, more people like it than upon initial release. And a lot of people are interested in seeing Batman and Superman (and Wonder Woman) onscreen together for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Suicide Squad will have to make double its budget to break even on production alone and double its advertising to fully break-even. As of right now, there is no stats on this. FYI, Batman V. Superman has to beat $400m alone on production budget ($200m budget.) This is due to the rule of thumb for box office takes half goes to the studios who made the movie you are seeing, half stays with the theaters you are seeing the movie in.
BvS and Suicide Squad will no have problem breaking even. The grey area beyond, the one called profit, is where all eyes are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I actually do follow DC and Marvel Movie news along with the recent Disney Movie News and Box Office Report from Popcorn Talk when I can as Behind the Trailer's Morning Movie News and Collide Movie Talk and their spin-offs are my priorities when I am off the clock.
Schmoes Know, also on PT, is a great general movie show that predates those, but for some strange reason, they're on hiatus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Here's the exerpt from Hawkeye's wikipedia.

I did see that the other week, which is what prompted me to ask where you got the notion they were a duo a la Black Widow/Daredevil or Canary/Arrow.

To reiterate, that excerpt suggests nothing beyond Hawkeye's initial turn as a villain and hired gun who was rope-a-doped into a mission because he was thinking with his little head. There's no duo/team that predates the others (in the '70s) to speak up. Not long after he was introduced, Hawkeye was rebranded a legit hero and Avenger. But hey, we're splitting hairs at this point, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I haven't seen much of a reaction to Suicide Squad from average movie goers to be honest. I never saw the Comic-Con trailer in theaters (much like Batman V. Superman's) so I can't gauge reactions thus yet. Deadpool though, does have that kid factor. I remember seeing Fantastic Four opening weekend and seeing a kid no older than eight go crazy for seeing the green-band and here I am shaking my head wondering how many years will mom force this kid to wait after she finds it was rated-R. While Suicide Squad may not be rated R, I fear parents may treat it as such.
That may be what actually increases its appeal, but being PG-13 won't hurt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I must say it seems you forgot about James Gunn who I have seen his other super hero movie, Super which a great Kick-Ass style indie film that went under the radar. Also you got Ryan Coogler off of Creed for Black Panther now. Marvel isn't exactly hurting for directorial talent.
I forgot to mention Gunn, but to me he's not any kind of amazing director. I mean, he comes from Troma-land, LOL. And Slither is a B-movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That wasn't even really hate.
Yeah, it was! Don't you know hate when you see it!! Really, I was joking. You may notice, but in case you don't, there are these:

I'm going to fast-forward to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I haven't seen Firefly, nor Serenity and maybe an episode or two of Buffy. That's it. I did however really enjoy Whedon's work including writing The Cabin in the Woods. If you ever want to try to and watch a horror film that flips other tropes on its head the way Scream did, do yourself a favor and track that horror gem down.

The Cabin in the Woods is one of the ultimate examples of "good concept, subpar execution." It must have looked amazing as a printout. I don't know what happened, but certainly a lot was lost in translation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
21,468 posts, read 11,632,088 times
Reputation: 7796
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Polarizing or not, Man of Steel soared to #1 in home video sales and added another 100 million via that circuit alone. I think at this stage, more people like it than upon initial release. And a lot of people are interested in seeing Batman and Superman (and Wonder Woman) onscreen together for the first time.
I am but I am not going to pull a Star Wars and see it three or four times in theaters. At best, I'll see it twice in theaters.

Quote:
BvS and Suicide Squad will no have problem breaking even. The grey area beyond, the one called profit, is where all eyes are.
Batman V. Superman should have no problem doing so. Suicide Squad doesn't have an official budget though all signs point to a 100m+ budget. So that means 200m in tickets alone to break even. Then again Batman V. Superman could always cover some of that but you never really want to see another movie be used to help another meet back its budget unless it is a passion project for an executive

Quote:
Schmoes Know, also on PT, is a great general movie show that predates those, but for some strange reason, they're on hiatus.
They are on movie talk regularly. Mark and Christian are also on Jedi Council and you can tell that to Kanjiklub. That's a recent injoke as Mark looks like Bak-Tik.

Quote:
I did see that the other week, which is what prompted me to ask where you got the notion they were a duo a la Black Widow/Daredevil or Canary/Arrow.

To reiterate, that excerpt suggests nothing beyond Hawkeye's initial turn as a villain and hired gun who was rope-a-doped into a mission because he was thinking with his little head. There's no duo/team that predates the others (in the '70s) to speak up. Not long after he was introduced, Hawkeye was rebranded a legit hero and Avenger. But hey, we're splitting hairs at this point, eh?
Yeah we need to get back to X-Men talk at some point

Quote:
That may be what actually increases its appeal, but being PG-13 won't hurt it.
It could on rewatchability. See The Expendables 3 for example.

Quote:
i forgot to mention Gunn, but to me he's not any kind of amazing director. I mean, he comes from Troma-land, LOL. And Slither is a B-movie.
I suggest watching Super. I think it is on either Hulu or Netflix.

Quote:
The Cabin in the Woods is one of the ultimate examples of "good concept, subpar execution." It must have looked amazing as a printout. I don't know what happened, but certainly a lot was lost in translation.
To each their own, I thought that it was really good and one of those movies that I had help me change my opinion on horror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top