Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 07:19 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,979,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
They never explained what the political makeup of the New Republic with respect to the New Order and Resistance. Why are they called the Resistance when the last Emperor is gone and who controls the new Republic if the New Order is a separate entity. Of course this stuff is too much for majority of movie watchers to absorb. Lucas threw these plots in Eps 2 and 3 and failed to get people to understand the politics of SW. Most people hated Jar-Jar Binx as the new Supreme Chancellor so they have no wish to watch politics in a movie.

Kylo Ren is still a young apprentice to Darth Plaguris. I don't really care about SW right now because this movie is a big stinking piece of over marketed Disney story rather than a real native SW story.

The Empire shattered with several grand moffs setting up their own little kingdoms, The First Order being one of those. The New Republic is a neighbor for the First Order and doesn't really like them. They're funding th Resistsnce, waging a gorilla war on the First Order.

So I've figured. Like the US is doing with Syrian Rebels.

Honestly other than the first Star Trek, Abrams, imo, hasn't done much that puts him on the pedestal he's on. TFA was lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 09:05 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,749,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
They never explained what the political makeup of the New Republic with respect to the New Order and Resistance. Why are they called the Resistance when the last Emperor is gone and who controls the new Republic if the New Order is a separate entity. Of course this stuff is too much for majority of movie watchers to absorb. Lucas threw these plots in Eps 2 and 3 and failed to get people to understand the politics of SW. Most people hated Jar-Jar Binx as the new Supreme Chancellor so they have no wish to watch politics in a movie.
The First Order is basically like the Separatists in Episode II but they were based in the Empire rather than the annoying Trade Federation. That said, the Resistance is basically the Grand Army of the Republic, except if I am not mistaken, the Republic is now destroyed as the captial was taken out by the Star Killer (along with its system.)

Quote:
Kylo Ren is still a young apprentice to Darth Plaguris.
But we don't truly know its Plaguis. It very well could be but we don't know.

Quote:
I don't really care about SW right now because this movie is a big stinking piece of over marketed Disney story rather than a real native SW story.
Star Wars has been over-marketed even before Disney. Remember the 1997 Special Edition that 20th Century Fox allowed to be released in theaters back when we didn't see many re-releases years after movies came out? They had a LOT of press to that including Fox having an hour long special explaining the changes and why they were added (this was later used in the intros for the videos.) The Phantom Menace was the original viral trailer in which people paid to see a movie just for that trailer and then walk out on it (this was before the day of internet streaming like YouTube.) Attack of the Clones was one of the first non-holiday releases to see a release on any day other than a Friday, that being a Thursday, and unlike (Avengers:) Age of Ultron or Force Awakens, it wasn't 7:00 PM release times. I can understand dislike for Disney (though I don't get it) but don't lie to yourself and say it is anything new to Sta Wars.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:40 PM

2,537 posts, read 3,714,697 times
I finally watched it today and it was like watching a soap opera. Back then it was father vs son, and now another father vs son showdown. Can't they come up with a better storyline?

Old 12-28-2015, 09:43 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,655,227 times
The Force awakens was better than the prequels the story was a pretty much a rip off of the originals but the formula works. Lucas tried to make a Disney movie with TPM and alienated a lot of the his old fans, AOTC was better but still not as good as any of the originals and ROTS was almost on par with ROTJ(also a Disney wannabe with the ewoks) TFA was better than ROTJ. It's sad that Lucas tried to copy Disney and it took Disney coping Lucas to bring the saga back to it's former glory.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:38 PM

29,442 posts, read 22,361,743 times
Ya so JJ was brought aboard to breathe new 'life' and vision to the Star Wars franchise, to save it from that old fart Lucas.

And so they give us.......basically a retread of the original Star Wars storyline from Lucas.

LMFAO

Old 12-29-2015, 03:11 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,658,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Ya so JJ was brought aboard to breathe new 'life' and vision to the Star Wars franchise, to save it from that old fart Lucas.

And so they give us.......basically a retread of the original Star Wars storyline from Lucas.

LMFAO
Thats what the movie felt like in a lot of ways.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:57 AM

43,317 posts, read 44,033,973 times
Finally I got to see the movie yesterday. It definitely lives up to all the hype! My favorite quote was the about the woman looking into a man's eyes knowing if he was telling the truth or not.

BTW, was Linda Hunt in this movie or not?

Old 12-29-2015, 06:06 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,104,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
Thats what the movie felt like in a lot of ways.
Felt like?

More like was...word for word.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:03 AM

9,845 posts, read 7,595,647 times
Revamped my theory:
I*figured it out on the pooper!!! Get ready for this sit down hold on to your buts!!!!!

Captain Plasma the last Clone trooper in the Imperial Army the bloodline of a bounty hunter joins forces with other bounty hunters to hunt down the padawans spread across the Galaxy.

Many year's ago Luke Skywalker a novice Jedi made efforts to rebuild the Jedi Order. Gathering force sensitive younglings from across the galaxy began to train for new Jedi Order.

A disturbance was felt across the Galaxy on Korriban in the Valley of the Sith. The burial site of Darth Plagueis Darth Siddious makes final return to the Old Sith Temple. There Siddious begs Plagueis to save him, but hos Force Energy is taken to revive the Sith Lord. The pulse of Darkness is felt across the galaxy. A strong unbalance of the Force grows yet again.

Darth Plagueis kidnaps young children across the galaxy. Many who not pass hos test are given to the Empire to give new strength to the Army.

Those who are Force Sensitive are trained to become Sith or die. Darth Plagueis calls across the galaxy haunting nightmares of the Younglings of Skywalker. The Bloodline of Darth Vader snares Ben Solo and some of his fellow Younglings.*

Skywalkers' training grounds are found Jedi Order in peril. Older gentleman from start of 7 with help of loyalist to the Jedi Order, Resistance, aid in spreading the remaining Younglings across the galaxy.

Rey the strongest with the Force like her Brother Ben Solo is kept under the watchful eye, afar of course, of older Gentleman in 7.

Meanwhile Luke feeling defeated and needing more training in the light exiles himself for 20 year's at the First Jedi Tenple. Where our hero's meet once again to train to bring balance to the Force.

Finn almost healed with Poe fly to find the Milimiuem Falcon and meet up with Chewie on a secret mission to find remaining Force Wielders Luke Skywalkers younglings. Civil War is coming soon.

Darth Plagueis aware of this makes a push to destroy the Resistance and Jedi once and for all.

General Hux leads a major assault on the newly located Resistance base with help from the Death Watch.

Captain Plasma and Bounty Hunters search for the Falcon to destroy the last remaining Jedi. Meanwhile Kylo Ren trains with Darth Maul, Darth Plagueis, and the First Order Sith Paddowans.

Is this the Rise of the Sith chaos grows in the galaxy fear grows. The Sith grow stronger the light fades. The Senate dispersed Bounty Hunter's lay the law out. War rises the Resistance faces the Empire and Old Enemies. Is there hope left in the Galaxy.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:16 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,970,226 times
Saw it and liked it much better than any of the prequels. Very much a throwback to the original series, which I grew up watching and enjoyed. This movie definitely has the right amount of nostalgia in it to bring people who saw the original SW movies back into the theater.

My biggest complaint is with modern-day millennial actors who are completely lacking in any kind of nuanced acting ability. Flat, boring characters who all look and sound the same. Watch movies from the 70s and 80s and you'll immediately see the difference in how actors used to create memorable characters.

The actor who played Kylo Ren is about as dangerous and menacing as Hayden Christensen was as Darth Vader. In other words, not much. He's got a cool Star Wars name, though.

I care slightly more about Rey (who I think might be Luke's daughter) than I do about Finn. I could care less about Finn. He added nothing to the movie. He wasn't even a second-rate Lando Calrissian. The Poe character could've been a great Han Solo-ish type of rake but they didn't go that route. So he ends up being as bland as the others, and fades into the background.

The best character was the new droid, BB-8. A movie is in trouble if the actors can't match a soccer robot's charm and likeability.

I will go see the next installments because I'm assuming Luke Skywalker will play a bigger role in them, and I'm curious about Rey's progeny. But once the original actors are gone and the series is handed off to Rey or Finn or whoever, I don't know if I'll still be interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies