Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2016, 12:37 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't think anyone really cared much about Alderaan when Ep 4 was first shown--I certainly didn't. Alderaan meant nothing much until its significance was brought out in the prequels.
There was definitely more a sense of world lost in the '77 movie, though. Somehow it was conveyed successfully.

In TFA, multiple worlds are destroyed, but some reason it doesn't resonate on the same level. Maybe it would have if the film hadn't been set up with some much "wait-for-it" type fan service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
To really enjoy STAR WARS, you can't treat it as science fiction. It's a fairy tale in space. Don't overthink it.

I agree, but at my age I can't gloss over everything like when I was twelve, and I don't the think the fact that "it's Star Wars" is any excuse for these movies to be exempt from varying levels of scrutiny. Escape Plan certainly wasn't afforded such, right?

Old 01-03-2016, 01:37 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I agree, but at my age I can't gloss over everything like when I was twelve, and I don't the think the fact that "it's Star Wars" is any excuse for these movies to be exempt from varying levels of scrutiny.
I hear you, and I agree for the most part. A story can't just abandon all sense.

But you have to consider genre as well. My expectations for a movie like 2001: A Space Odyssey or even ALIEN are going to be a lot different than my expectations for a Flash Gordon movie. And STAR WARS is definitely in the genre of Flash Gordon. STAR WARS is far more fantasy than science fiction, despite the space ships and robots.

Quote:
Escape Plan certainly wasn't afforded such, right?
I don't know. I didn't see it. In fact, I had to Google what you were talking about.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:48 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
There was definitely more a sense of world lost in the '77 movie, though. Somehow it was conveyed successfully.

In TFA, multiple worlds are destroyed, but some reason it doesn't resonate on the same level. Maybe it would have if the film hadn't been set up with some much "wait-for-it" type fan service.
The only thing that resonated the loss of Alderaan in the first movie was Leia's very brief moment of outrage. She cared, so the audience cared just a little. But that's not a sense of loss by the audience (nothing like, for instance, the death of Ellie in "UP"). In fact, the lack of grief was explicit in Ep 4, despite ample moments to have shown it.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I hear you, and I agree for the most part. A story can't just abandon all sense.

But you have to consider genre as well. My expectations for a movie like 2001: A Space Odyssey or even ALIEN are going to be a lot different than my expectations for a Flash Gordon movie. And STAR WARS is definitely in the genre of Flash Gordon. STAR WARS is far more fantasy than science fiction, despite the space ships and robots.
I concur I wouldn't watch a Star Wars film with the same expectations for a 2001 or Interstellar.

Yes, it's space opera, i.e. "sword & sorcery in outer space." Emphasis on conflict over everything else.

Quote:
I don't know. I didn't see it. In fact, I had to Google what you were talking about.
HAHA! You know, it's not that bad a movie. A nice mindless two hours of entertainment, with one distinct highlight: Jim Caviezel as the icy, calculating and opportunistic Warden Hobbes.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
Also, we're actually made to care when Alderaan is destroyed. But an entire system? Meh ... on with the action!
You missed the speech before it being the "Death to the Republic" that it was. This movie was great at giving subtext.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:31 AM

29,505 posts, read 22,616,067 times
Rey and Finn, awesome chemistry there.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:15 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Quote:
HAHA! You know, it's not that bad a movie. A nice mindless two hours of entertainment, with one distinct highlight: Jim Caviezel as the icy, calculating and opportunistic Warden Hobbes.
I will definitely check it out. As a child who grew up in the '80s, I'm pretty sure I am mandated by law to see every movie with Stallone or Schwarzenegger. Stallone and Ahnuld? That's a moral mandate. I'm not quite sure how this one slipped off my radar.

I even managed to sit through all the Expendables movies, much to my regret.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:48 PM

946 posts, read 1,134,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Very poorly scripted, way too predictable, and shallow character development. Basically a girl similar to Luke in Eps 4 was able to pickup a light saber face off a Jedi-trained enemy and defeat him. Of course they have to use some handicap to make it more believable but it's BS. He had mind-freeze ability could've froze her and sliced her off. Kylo Ren is slightly higher skilled than Anakin of Episode 2. Anakin had trouble with his Jedi freezing ability that he showed in Eps 3 and Kylo Ren is much better at it.

Then Boyega's char basically is a plug in, not needed in terms of the Jedi order and he was able to use a light saber as well. So why don't all stormtroopers use light sabers then? In Star Wars story line, to wield a light saber means you have to be able to predict the movement of your enemy with your training of the force. And both Rey and Boyega could easily stand up to a Jedi-trained enemy.

They once again re-used the plot of Episode 4 and reversed the tragedy. So predictable of Hans Solo, I thought Kylo Ren took too long disposing his dad. I knew Harrison Ford was lined up for just 1 more and that's it.

As for Rey, ok we knew Boyega wasn't going to be a Jedi since he was taken from a village like a slave. (They still need slaves? Clone army of the Republic shows they are more than capable.)

Movie gets a 2/5 for me, watchable as an action flick but in terms of the SW continuum, let's just say Lucus would not have approved this one. As much we criticize Lucus for his handling and scripting of Episode 1-3, this one is slightly more watchable than Episode 3.
Totally agree! And c'mon another death star with a weak point that can easily be blowned up??? Yes thank for bringing back some of the old Star Wars but could at least introduce new imaginative elements to the story.

Last edited by Surfertx; 01-04-2016 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 06:34 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,603,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
The same things play out in each generation of this family. That's the story. Anakin and Padme's stories echoed in their children, and now in their grandkids. I don't know why anyone is surprised by that.

It was obvious Rey, from her flashbacks, was ripped away from someone as a child and had some previous training that she no longer remembers. She's may have been with the group of kids that Luke was training that Kylo "destroyed". That would explain a lot of thing she did and I'm sure we'll get answers in the next movie.

Finn pretty obviously has some connection too. He mentioned he was the taken from his real family as an infant and trained to be a storm trooper.... Why was he the only one to resist to that degree? How did he end up with Rey? The Force had nothing to do with bringing him there, out of all the spots they could have crashed on that planet? Why is he so compelled to risk his life to save someone he just met? He's going to turn out to be someone's kid too, there's more to that story.

I definitely had the impression that Rey had been one of the children Luke had been training when Kylo went all Anakin/Vader on the Jedi School For Gifted Youngsters or whatever it was called (?Temple).

I hope, for Leia's sake, that she has another kid out there, so she'll have another kid to live after someone kills Kylo (which can't happen too soon for me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies