Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 12:17 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I was so unhappy that my favorite character was killed off! Han has been my favorite all along, and the rest of the series won't be the same without him. (Having said that, I really hope another character will come in as the swashbuckling, cocky "look at me!" persona.) I guess they could have made him less of an action hero and more of an adviser, but that's not the personality of that character; he'd want to be in the middle of everything, shooting or flying the Millennium Falcon. I'm still sad. *sigh*

However, being realistic, if it's true that Harrison Ford only signed on for this film (and let's face it, he's getting a bit old to be doing this action hero shtick!) then I'm glad Han Solo is no more. I can't imagine another actor stepping in as that character, and this adds a whole other dimension of drama.

What will Leia do when she and her son come face to face? I have no doubt that will happen at some point, and there will be the conflict of, "This is my beloved son - who is so evil now that he killed my husband, his own father."
C'mon we can't have Han Solo be the hero again, he's already had several senior moments that he couldn't remember what he was supposed to do. I was surprised the Wookie showed no sign of aging.

A scavenger like Rey never flew a fighter, nevertheless was able to pilot the Falcon with ease. Something both Luke and Anakin was able to achieve on the 1st try.

After almost 20 yrs, I can't believe the movie has been dumbed down even further than Episode 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 02:15 AM

752 posts, read 566,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
"Harrison has been saying for a long time that Han should have died in the original trilogy."
According to Gary Kurtz, who helped produce A New Hope and Empire, that was the original plan for Jedi. But then Lucas became preoccupied with merchandising and decided on a lighter tone — which led to the end of Kurtz's collaboration.

Quote:
"Adam Driver was definitely not intimidating helmetless, but at this stage he's not supposed to be. Still questioning himself, hasn't completed training, very much a continuation of the immature Anakin and Luke while they were in training."
Yeah, I think criticisms of Driver are misplaced; no, he isn't Vader, but he isn't supposed to be (yet). What's more, his portrayal of an Anakin-esque character is far more believable than Hayden Christensen's version — there's genuine darkness/pain underlying the whiny teenage angst. The problem I foresee, particularly in subsequent installments, is that Ren isn't suited to play the central antagonist (for the aforementioned reasons), and Snoke doesn't strike me as especially intimidating (too much Gollum, not enough Palpatine/Vader/Sauron).

Old 12-19-2015, 03:14 AM

752 posts, read 566,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
"I guess they could have made [Han] less of an action hero and more of an adviser, but that's not the personality of that character; he'd want to be in the middle of everything, shooting or flying the Millennium Falcon ...

However, being realistic, if it's true that Harrison Ford only signed on for this film (and let's face it, he's getting a bit old to be doing this action hero shtick!) ... "
Yeah, Ford is quite visibly getting a bit long in the tooth, which is problematic for a swashbuckling character like Han Solo (or Indiana Jones, for that matter). Finding Han living out his latter years as some kind of a junk merchant was a little sad/pathetic, believable as it seemed. So I think his demise was fitting — one last heroic hurrah. On the other hand, a warrior monk/sensei is a perfect part for an aged actor, so based on Hamill's brief appearance in the closing scene, I'm far more excited about him reprising the role of Luke Skywalker. Whereas Ford looked haggard and Fisher sounded like she had marbles in her mouth, Hamill very much looks the part and has a terrific voice to boot.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:17 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think Rey is actually another daughter of Leia and Han and Leia only said "And may the force be with you" to protect her and keep Kylo from trying to rule of two, Snoke. Remember, Kylo wanted to take Rey as his trainee.

I was surprised with how Han died but after going back to set the charges, I wasn't surprised he did die. I honestly thought he was going to pull an Armageddon on it.

That ending with Luke and Rey makes me wish it was May 2017 already. I can't wait for Episode VIII even if it follows the formulaic the dark side gains the upperhand trope from the previous of the middle part of the trilogies.
I do not think there is actually any evidence that she is another daughter unless they decided to just make it up. In the books that follow after the films take place they only have one daughter Jaina. Not everyone in the Star Wars Universe has to be related.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:21 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
What happened to the lines Luke said in the trailer, about the Force being strong in his family? Why was it cut out?
(It was one of the teaser trailers.)

Who or what was Snoke? That was a weaker area. Also he looked like Gollum.
Of course he was Andy Serkis but I thought he looked like Voldemort.

Loved the movie.
The first few minutes I thought it was going to be corny but I was wrong

Old 12-19-2015, 07:51 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
It's a ****ty and arrogant thing to do, you kill off a beloved character for no other reason than ego and shock value. I'll just consider the original three movies canon and the others just the confused ramblings of a messed up and twisted George Lucas' mind. He's practically killed off Indian Jones already, maybe Jones can get run over by a taxi in the next one. Ford really just needs to hang it up and call it a career, he's not helping his legacy.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:06 AM

568 posts, read 2,419,072 times
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It felt familiar, while still being fresh. The big "shocker" of the film didn't shock me so much that it happened, but it was a surprise. I think I was maybe in a bit of denial hoping that it wouldn't happen. I knew Luke's role in The Force Awakens was going to be minimal, so that wasn't a surprise either, but I've also heard he will have much bigger roles in VIII and IX.

Even from the trailers and stuff before seeing the film, I always felt Rey was Luke's daughter. The film reinforced that for me. The way Luke's lightsaber called to her, there were a few times where Luke's theme was played around Rey, R2 woke up when Rey came around and the way Luke looked at her at the end all seemed to play on that idea for me. I also didn't feel that Leia looked at her as a daughter to play on the possibility of her being Han and Leia's. I'm not certain of the theory, but that's just where my mind is taking it.

I also really loved the flying scenes with the Millennium Falcon and Tie Fighters. We're used to seeing them mostly out in open space, so it was cool to see the hanger where the Ties come from and seeing them do strafing runs on Jakku. Watching Rey maneuver the Millennium Falcon through the crashed Star Destroyer and doing other low to ground maneuvers was really cool too. They were probably some of my favorite action scenes.

It was a great movie and I cannot wait for VIII.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:41 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I do not think there is actually any evidence that she is another daughter unless they decided to just make it up. In the books that follow after the films take place they only have one daughter Jaina. Not everyone in the Star Wars Universe has to be related.
Why else would a Skywalker lightsaber call to her? I doubt some random Jedi to be would get that call. Plus it makes sense with the ship leaving that she could be modeled after Jaina (somewhat Anakin Solo) while Kylo is modeled after Jacen. I still don't see her being Luke's daugther because Luke seemed to take after the traditions of the Jedi, even finding an old temple to train the new Jedi, including Ben Solo.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:44 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
It's a ****ty and arrogant thing to do, you kill off a beloved character for no other reason than ego and shock value. I'll just consider the original three movies canon and the others just the confused ramblings of a messed up and twisted George Lucas' mind. He's practically killed off Indian Jones already, maybe Jones can get run over by a taxi in the next one. Ford really just needs to hang it up and call it a career, he's not helping his legacy.
Well it wasn't some shock kill because it was a killing with meaning. Remember Han didn't want to send Ben to train with Luke because he thought he had too much of Anakin in him and in the end he was right (unlike Uncle Owen with Luke.) Han I thought was in an Obi-Wan like role helping Rey and Fin get BB-8 to the Resistance and away from the First Order.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:55 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,246,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

A scavenger like Rey never flew a fighter, nevertheless was able to pilot the Falcon with ease.
Hardly, she was all over the place, scrapping the cockpit against the ground etc

My take on Rey is she was trained as a little girl but then had her memory wiped to hide her true identity. This makes sense if you consider she was able to pick things up quickly. As for Ren, he is still unsure of his ability or his identity and you could see that clearly at the bridge scene.

I loved the film! I found the newcomers, especially Daisy Ridley, very engaging and can't wait to see what happens next in May '17
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies