Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 10:16 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,354 times

Advertisements

SPOILER ALERT! Do not read if you haven't seen it yet!

Okay, so I'm going to respect Harrison Ford's plea to not spoil it for others, but I need to roundabout talk about it.

Was anyone else stunned? Did anyone cry?

And what was up with that 20 second Luke scene? Was Mark so out of shape that they didn't think he should speak??

What's your take on Adam Driver? IMHO, it's so difficult to compete with a mechanized James Earl Jones!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 10:55 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
I thought the Luke scene was a bit strange. The look he gave Rey was almost the look of "I'm looking at my daughter". I actually liked how Luke didn't say anything. I think any words would have ruined the scene.

As for the BIG shocker scene, I actually wasn't that surprised. I still don't want to type out what that shocker scene is just yet.

My prediction for the next movie... if Kylo is still alive (which I suspect he is), he will turn to the light side and help bring down the Supreme Leader Snoke.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:16 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
I feel like Kylo will go back to Snoke and complete his training. They will regroup and the Knights of Ren will be unleash to the resistance. Kylo's training will be superior to Ren's. (maybe Luke is still unsure of his ability to teach an apprentice). All will seem lost in Episode 8. (i feel like Episode 8 is similar to Empire Strikes Back since Episode 7 was similar to New Hope) The bad guys will appear to have won the war.......

Old 12-18-2015, 11:39 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,354 times
I thought Rey was possibly Luke's daughter. It'll be interesting. I'm still wondering why Luke wasn't in it more.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:40 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Just came back after a vendor event at IPIC theaters. Can't beat that - breakfast, lounge chairs, and Star Wars. Love my work sometimes.

As for the movie..... Don't get me wrong, the action was good, the acting was good (relatively speaking), the dialog was... well, it was good compared to other Star Wars movies.

However, it seemed more like a TV reunion special. It's basically the same things from the first three (ep. IV, V, VI) rehashed. Finn and Rey sort of played this generations Han and Leia. You had the droid sidekick, a bar with various creatures and a band (albeit more reggae than jazz this time), an old "wise" one that provided insights to life and the force, and the plot of delivering a droid with a secret to the resistance... sound familiar? Then you basically just had cameos from 3PO and R2.

Vader was this evil badass. Kylo.. very much a weak wannabe. Almost comical. Looks like the nerd that got picked on in high school.

That being said, it's still light years better than I, II, and III.

Question - the Empire is defeated in Ep. VI. The Republic takes over. Then for unexplained reasons, you have this First Order that all of a sudden runs the place and the republic is again the small "rebels" or resistance. Really?

Old 12-18-2015, 11:46 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
I saw the movie last night and thought it was pretty good.

Rey has to be connected to either Luke, or Leia. Kylo was unable to force the information out of her like he was to Poe. R2 also came back online as soon as she entered the Resistance base and she was able to handle Anakin's light saber pretty well for a beginner.

I wish Captain Phasma had some more screen time.

Either way I am happy we don't have to wait 3 years for the next move like we did with the prequels.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:56 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,245,675 times
When Harrison Ford said he liked the movie that confirmed to me that he was going to die as I had suspected so that scene wasn't a shocker, knew exactly what Kylo was asking for. Harrison has been saying for a long time that Han should have died in the original trilogy.

Adam Driver was definitely not intimidating helmetless, but at this stage he's not supposed to be. Still questioning himself, hasn't completed training, very much a continuation of the immature Anakin and Luke while they were in training.

I'd definitely agree that this one was a throwback to the original but also the beginning of handing off the reigns to a new generation. It was a good bridge.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:27 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
The rebel x-wing attack scene, with the long take where the camera follows Poe / Oscar Isaac as he makes multiple strafing runs was very well done.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:20 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
SPOILER ALERT! Do not read if you haven't seen it yet!

Okay, so I'm going to respect Harrison Ford's plea to not spoil it for others, but I need to roundabout talk about it.

Was anyone else stunned? Did anyone cry?

And what was up with that 20 second Luke scene? Was Mark so out of shape that they didn't think he should speak??

What's your take on Adam Driver? IMHO, it's so difficult to compete with a mechanized James Earl Jones!
Harrison Ford believed that Solo should have died at the end of Return of the Jedi as a form of redemption for not believing in both the Force and the Rebellion. George Lucas did not allow for this because he was more interested in selling toys and felt that such an ending was too dark for kids and one that may hamper sales (of toys). My guess is that Ford came on board only to finish out the story arc that he originally wanted Solo to have.

I also suspect that Ford "killed" Solo because Episode VIII is already in pre-production for a scheduled release in 2017. Ford and Spielberg are looking like they are going to do another installment of Indiana Jones, so not being a part of Star Wars will free Ford up for that project which, at least for a time some years ago, Ford had claimed to favor the character of Indy over that of Han.

But yes, stunned. I did not cry but felt as though a part of my childhood had. Kind of a strange feeling, but earlier in the day I was thinking about how Empire Strikes Back is still my favorite film but when I thought about Solo in some of his scenes on Hoth I did so in a way that I tend to do when I think about real people who have passed. That is, as in he is dead. Really weird.

For those last 20 seconds. Once again this goes back to RotJ and an actor. There is a theory out there that goes back to RotJ that Skywalker had actually turned to the dark side. There are tons of evidence to support this beginning with Empire, and if you consider Aniken's story arc in the second trilogy you will recall that Luke's takes an almost exact arc. Mark Hamill confirmed that he believed the natural progression for Luke was to turn in RotJ but once again Lucas said no for fear it would hamper the sales of action figures. I forget her name, but the woman from Lucas Film who worked with Abrams on the Force Awakens confirmed that the original ending for Return was more ominous, but that Lucas changed it to become more kid friendly.

And, in the Force Awakens Solo simply states that he knew Skywalker... ...and not in a way that would indicate they are still, or were, good friends. He basically says it in the same manner that Obi Won does when Obi tells Luke that he knew Aniken. Although Luke looked very much like Alec Guinness in the end there my guess is that he did not train Jedi to become Jedi and that he specifically trained Kylo Ren to be evil. It is also unclear why Kylo and Snoke are looking for Skywalker, just that they are and that there is some pressing importance to it. Once again this is parallel to Return where the Emperor used Vader to weed out Skywalker only to attempt to kill him in the end instead of welcoming him to the dark side (according to the theory, because the Emperor knew that Luke was stronger than him).

So my guess is that Snokes wants Luke dead not because Luke is a Jedi and the enemy but because Luke is the more powerful evil, and the enemy.

As for Driver: I liked his character as Kylo, in particular because his struggle seemed more "human" and that he was making a conscious decision to go to the dark side and also because there is plenty of directions to take his character in Episode VIII that may not be predictable.

As for Rey: in original treatments by Lucas, Han and Leia had a son and a daughter, both of who grew up to become Jedis. Considering that nearly every plot point from the original trilogy was reworked in Force, I would not be surprised if Leia hid Rey not only from Luke but also Solo. Then again, I would suspect that Kylo would have the ability to sense that, or her of him.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:43 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Very poorly scripted, way too predictable, and shallow character development. Basically a girl similar to Luke in Eps 4 was able to pickup a light saber face off a Jedi-trained enemy and defeat him. Of course they have to use some handicap to make it more believable but it's BS. He had mind-freeze ability could've froze her and sliced her off. Kylo Ren is slightly higher skilled than Anakin of Episode 2. Anakin had trouble with his Jedi freezing ability that he showed in Eps 3 and Kylo Ren is much better at it.

Then Boyega's char basically is a plug in, not needed in terms of the Jedi order and he was able to use a light saber as well. So why don't all stormtroopers use light sabers then? In Star Wars story line, to wield a light saber means you have to be able to predict the movement of your enemy with your training of the force. And both Rey and Boyega could easily stand up to a Jedi-trained enemy.

They once again re-used the plot of Episode 4 and reversed the tragedy. So predictable of Hans Solo, I thought Kylo Ren took too long disposing his dad. I knew Harrison Ford was lined up for just 1 more and that's it.

As for Rey, ok we knew Boyega wasn't going to be a Jedi since he was taken from a village like a slave. (They still need slaves? Clone army of the Republic shows they are more than capable.)

Movie gets a 2/5 for me, watchable as an action flick but in terms of the SW continuum, let's just say Lucus would not have approved this one. As much we criticize Lucus for his handling and scripting of Episode 1-3, this one is slightly more watchable than Episode 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies