Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 10:45 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Are you serious? Avatar was/is the most visually stunning movie ever made. Still #1 by a long shot, the repeat business alone almost ensures success... unless it is a dud.

Cameron doesn't make a lot of duds. Personally....I am a pretty solid fan of his work.
I'm a Cameron fan, but I thought AVATAR was a dud.

I actually wasn't all that impressed with the visuals. CGI has come a long way, but the Na'vi still looked fake. Exceptionally detailed cartoons maybe, but still cartoons. It terms of realism, it wasn't even as good as Jurassic Park.

But the story was a total dud. AVATAR was just FERN GULLY with machine guns. Very derivative. By far, Cameron's least original work.

I would much rather Cameron devote his talent to a new story than to sequels for his worst movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 10:47 AM

My absolute favorite bit of AVATAR "creativity": Unobtanium.

Because Floatyrockium just doesn't quite have that ring to it.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:22 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times
All you flaccid critics are fixin' to ruin my Avatar woodie. Avatar was, by far, the most visually impressive film ever released. Noyone is arguing that the story is anything other than ordinary. But the visuals in 3D....

Still #1.....

Old 12-30-2015, 05:40 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

But the story was a total dud. AVATAR was just FERN GULLY with machine guns. Very derivative. By far, Cameron's least original work.

I would much rather Cameron devote his talent to a new story than to sequels for his worst movie.

This is the perfect way to describe Avatar....Fern Gully with machine guns.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:42 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,163 times
The only saving grace to Avatar was the visual effects. Everything else was forgettable. I was glad my friend paid for the entry fees to this movie or else, I would have been pretty pissed of for wasting my hard earn money on this movie. I actually like Battle For Terra over Avator.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
All you flaccid critics are fixin' to ruin my Avatar woodie. Avatar was, by far, the most visually impressive film ever released. Noyone is arguing that the story is anything other than ordinary. But the visuals in 3D....
The visuals weren't all that spectacular. If by visuals you mean CGI, then any of the Jurassic Park, Lord of the Rings, Terminator, and Star Wars movies are far superior in every way. The Na'vi looked pastel cartoonish. No muscle movement under the skin. They looked fake.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:38 AM

211 posts, read 211,995 times
Quote:
He may well be our most talented director. I made a thread about this once. Nobody responded.... as I faintly recall. Abrams is also doing himself proud lately.
That always happens with insanely successful directors. It's trendy to bash successful people, especially a guy that did TWICE what nobody thought he could do even once. So yeah, of course people are going to gleefully call him untalented or whatnot. Avatar is bashed relentlessly by an internet vocal minority who think they are edgy and cool by bashing it. Simple as that. The typical thing that this vocal minority parrots is "Nobody liked Avatar's story...nobody. People only went to see the film because of the 3D and the shiny colors." If the film had been hated by general audiences, as the internet "haters" claim, and if they had only gone to see the film due to the 3D, they would not have made the DVD a record-breaking seller, in spite of the fact that you cannot replicate the immersive 3D experience at home. So, yeah...the internet detractors is one thing, and general audiences is another entirely different animal.

I love how fantastically skilled Cameron is at using every single frame of a film to further and advance the plot; every frame has a purpose in the story and the narrative. No single shot of his is wasted just for the sake of 'looking cool' or whatnot, and narratively speaking, very few directors are able to do that.
To me, he is indeed one of the best, right up there with Spielberg, Kubrick, Allen, Lee, and Kurosawa.

And yes, I went to see the film six times because I was captivated by the love story between Jake and Neytiri. The 3D and shiny colors were just delicious frosting on a succulent cake.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:14 AM

Apparently I am simply a bad "movie critic." Dropped my universities cinematography class after learning how sinful it was to fall asleep during "Citizen Kane."

I just want to be entertained by a movie. A books architecture is multiples more effective as a format for delivery of a story. People *always* seem to complain about a movie if they read the book first.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:23 AM

This is entirely wrong. Much of the Star Wars CGI has been absolutely horrendous. Comparing "any" of the Terminator CGI to Avatar is like saying that a '57 Chevrolet is far superior to a Bugatti. Terminator was cutting edge at the time but CGI is one thing that has benefited greatly from technological advance. Besides....Cameron helmed Terminator when it was hugely successful. Been a steady ride downhill since he left.

When Avatar was released, the CGI breakthroughs were considered phenomenal. I'll bet that significant new ground is broken with Avatar II.

"The visuals weren't all that spectacular." I suppose that Belechik and Brady are a sub par coach/quarterback duo in your world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The visuals weren't all that spectacular. If by visuals you mean CGI, then any of the Jurassic Park, Lord of the Rings, Terminator, and Star Wars movies are far superior in every way. The Na'vi looked pastel cartoonish. No muscle movement under the skin. They looked fake.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Besides....Cameron helmed Terminator when it was hugely successful. Been a steady ride downhill since he left.
I could not possibly agree more. Cameron's T-flicks are some of my favorite movies. Which is why AVATAR was so disappointing. A major step backward for one of the all-time great filmmakers.

Quote:
"The visuals weren't all that spectacular." I suppose that Belechik and Brady are a sub par coach/quarterback duo in your world?
They're very talented, which is why I don't understand why they think they have to cheat to win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies