Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the highest, I gave the Force Awakens...
1 7 14.29%
2 1 2.04%
3 4 8.16%
4 6 12.24%
5 5 10.20%
6 4 8.16%
7 5 10.20%
8 11 22.45%
9 4 8.16%
10 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 12:30 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times

Advertisements

Please do not read through the thread if you have not seen it.

It was a better movie than the last three, that is for sure. I give is a seven. Not the home run I was hoping for. Here are some problems I had:

1) They are just remaking the first films, rather than making real sequals.
So they restored peace and order to the republic, and now, low and bohold, another mitochlorian-ladden relative of one of the characters is under the influence of a new Emperor and they are bulidng a new death star, only they have already done that twice so it has to be a super duper death star. There is a starry eyed proto Jedi on a desert planet, a cute droid, a nutty Star Wars bar, they blow it all up, etc. At the end she finds Luke who is now yoda...yeah, I get that it is probably his daughter and all.

Could we not have brought in some kind of elements that genuinely expand the storyline, here? And don't you think that now, knowing more about the darkside, there would have been some controls put in place to prevent THE SAME EXACT THING FROM HAPPENING AGAIN?

2) No internal logic.
Was it really probable that she could beat Kylo Ren with no training whatsoever? Is she now going to become the new super Jedi when Yoda complained that Anikin was too old to train?

3) Finn was a clown
He was a good character overall, but I don't remember human characters being comic relief in the first films.That is what the wookie's and droids were for. "Why do you keep doing that thing with your neck..." and all of that. He was a cool character when he was allowed to have his dignity.

4) Didn't like the new pilot character.
Not a lot of screen presence is all. Perhaps some will disagree. Not sure about Kylo Ren. I get that he is suppossed to be kind of weak, but still... The girl was excellent and Finn was very good when not being a clown.

5) Why does Kylo Ren call his father weak when his father had a major role in overthrowing the empire?
Just kind of doesn't fit. Its like it goes there because it has to.

6) Still feels a little rushed.
One of the problems with the last three debaucles was that they had to fit in so much story that they big emotional moments didn't quite ring true. This was by no means as bas as the last three, which could have been written by a computer, but it still suffers from the same drawback a bit. It tried to do better on the emotional level, but is still now quite there.

Could probably come up with a few more things, but I just want to see how many agree with some of them. I gave it a solid, entertaining 7.

Last edited by cachibatches; 01-03-2016 at 12:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 06:23 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
I saw it yesterday, and overall, I really enjoyed it. Gave it an 8 in your poll. Like many people, I separate the Star Wars franchise into the two distinct camps- the original trilogy, and then the prequels, which I thought were awful and have pretty much forgotten. When I say "forgotten", I mean literally. Characters, timelines etc- I couldn't tell you.

Some criticisms I have:

1. It's too obvious in its rehashing of the original trilogy. Some of the same one-liners, that little droid on the Imperial ships that goes scooting around humming to himself etc. We get it.

2. I agree Poe Dameron was an underutilized character. I think he could be quite a good character if used more, and I rather liked the actor. Missed opportunity there, IMO.

3. Yes, a little too much clowning around from Finn. And, overall, he possessed an amazing amount of humanity and relationship savvy for an individual who was raised from birth to be a figurative robot. Is he a one off as a stormtrooper, or are there others like him? I am inclined to believe the latter because of one or two other scenes in the film.

One thing I am not critical of that many people apparently are, is how the principal actors have aged and how they are presented on screen. Maybe I am in the minority here, but I think Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill both look pretty good and age appropriate. If anyone looks a bit old and haggard, it's Harrison Ford, who, of course, is much older than Fisher and Hamill. But, I don't see many criticisms of him floating around in print....

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 01-03-2016 at 06:41 AM..

Old 01-03-2016, 11:40 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
2) No internal logic.
Was it really probable that she could beat Kylo Ren with no training whatsoever? Is she now going to become the new super Jedi when Yoda complained that Anikin was too old to train?
I largely agree with your other points, although I really liked it and gave it an 8. This point, however, seems to have been answered in the brief flashback scene which suggests she'd received some training as a child (and most likely subsequently had her memories suppressed). Add to this the fact she'd spent most of her life fending for herself on a desolate, desert planet and I think that goes some way in answering your question. I think when the sequels are released, we'll have some solid info on her background and it may allow us to view TFA differently

Old 01-03-2016, 11:42 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,607 times
Oh and the people voting it 1 or 3 - really? Do you have no sense of fun at all?

Old 01-03-2016, 01:07 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Would have loved to have given it a 10 but it wasn't. Solid 8 because it was very entertaining even for a reboot.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:16 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
8, but really a 7.5 (I rounded up).

6 = story and acting.

9.5 (rounded to 10) for VFX and cinematography.

8 is a very fair score for this film, IMO. It delivers visually but lacks in other areas, as has been echoed by many a commentator.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:40 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
8, but really a 7.5 (I rounded up).

6 = story and acting.

9.5 (rounded to 10) for VFX and cinematography.

8 is a very fair score for this film, IMO. It delivers visually but lacks in other areas, as has been echoed by many a commentator.
Agreed on all counts. I would add:

8 for music. I loved the score. One of Williams's best in many years.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:41 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Oh and the people voting it 1 or 3 - really? Do you have no sense of fun at all?
Hey, somebody is watching all those Woody Allen movies.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:53 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat
Yes I do and the total destroying of a beautiful 3 part movie and making garbage like this isnt my idea of fun!!

I DONT HAVE TO SEE IT TO GIVE IT A 1!!! (If I could (If it was an option on the poll) I would give it a -99999999.99999999e+99999999)

Old 01-03-2016, 07:33 PM

17,586 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes I do and the total destroying of a beautiful 3 part movie and making garbage like this isnt my idea of fun!!

I DONT HAVE TO SEE IT TO GIVE IT A 1!!! (If I could (If it was an option on the poll) I would give it a -99999999.99999999e+99999999)
Yeah, you don't have to understand politics to vote, either. Hence the problems.

I went in not knowing what to expect. Having seen the originals.. Then the second set of trilogies.. And, having a major axe to grind against JJ Abrams for what he did to Star Trek ("Hey, remember that 40 years you invested? Yeah, all that never happened").. I wasn't expecting greatness and was probably predisposed to nitpick on it.

And.. That's about what we got. I gave it a 7.. Very much a rehash of the first movie. But.. It was entertaining. That's pretty dang close to the review I gave to Jurrasic World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies