Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 11:12 AM

221 posts, read 202,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Well yeah but I've seen some movies that aren't as good as those not nominated for the awards.Creed is a perfect example. It's director should have easily been up for an Oscar as well and not just Stallone.
So you've seen all the movies nominated for Best Director?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 11:23 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogityboogity View Post
So you've seen all the movies nominated for Best Director?
No enough though to say Creed could have replaced one of those (The Big Short) and replace another (Bridge of Spies) in best picture...

Old 01-20-2016, 12:03 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,381 times
Quote:
Just because Stallone apparently gave an Oscar worthy performance, that doesn't mean that Jordan necessarily did. SomeONE can give a stellar performance in a movie that otherwise stinks to high heaven. I'm not saying Creed did or didn't. Just that one performance doesn't mean anything for the rest of the cast or the film itself.
The director plays a role in getting the best performances from actors and presenting them in the best way. The director can cut the filming and make suggestions for the actor, and they collaborate with the photographer, editor, etc so the unnecessary moments are cut and the best material isn't overlooked by the viewers. So credit is due to Ryan Coogler for helping Stallone earn a nomination, more than likely his last opportunity to finally win an Oscar.

Last edited by nc17; 01-20-2016 at 12:12 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 12:13 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Why is it that some of these people who are calling for boycotting the Oscars are always making issues regarding race ? You know what ? if you don't like the industry you are in then get the he** out and shut up about it . I mean honestly some of these people are less than stellar in their personal lives and yet they fuss about when paparazzi follows them around or people wanting autographs . They chose this life not the rest of us so , you are either part of the solution or part of the problem and frankly I wish they would all shut up about it ,enough already , the rest of us get it , you few are unhappy then get out and don't fuss about it .

Old 01-20-2016, 12:26 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
Boycotting the Oscars is not going to solve anything. It's just going to make you look like you're throwing a tantrum because you didn't get what you wanted. The problem lies in your belief that if there are no black nominees it's because the Oscar voters are intentionally leaving black people out. That is not the case at all. A black-themed movie (12 Years A Slave) won Best Picture a couple of years ago, and one of its black castmembers won an Oscar also. So obviously, the Oscar voters don't have a problem with nominating blacks or giving blacks an Oscar.

I love what Whoopi Goldberg had to say on the matter. And she's an Oscar voter herself.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:35 PM

221 posts, read 202,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No enough though to say Creed could have replaced one of those (The Big Short) and replace another (Bridge of Spies) in best picture...
Best Picture, or Best Director? You're jumping between categories. Well, all I can say is that the Academy disagreed with you, and it's probably unlikely it was due to race.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:53 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,128,844 times
The Daily Beast has an article insisting that it's racist to say that there weren't any Oscar-worthy performances by black actors this year. They mention Will Smith's "dignity" in the role of Concussion. Not sure just portraying dignity is Oscar-worthy---EVERY performance supposedly portrays at least one or more human characteristic:

How to Fix the Racist Oscars

So to get rid of the alleged racism, the Daily Beast says that no one should serve on the Academy Awards Board of Governors who is over 65 since their tastes "no longer reflect the current zeitgest." The average age now is 63---I can see wanting it to skew younger---but no one over 65? Who is going to represent all the people over 65 who also watch movies? What a great idea----let's replace racism with ageism!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2016, 02:38 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Generally speaking I do think that minorities have a tough time breaking into Hollywood and getting the same opportunities and recognition.
Not sure about this year particularly vs. others.
Older women, less pay for women, lots of problems.

Its hardly going to change when Hollywood is not strictly a meritocracy. Its currently mostly white and since all the current heavyweights children go into acting or some aspect of 'the biz' its likely to stay mostly white. Minorities who get a toe hold are going to have to support other minorities (read below article) and build from there. Same for women if they want good older woman parts etc. Write them, produce them.

I've actually been musing on this as it seems like I just keep hearing more and more kids that are going to act.
Meryl Streeps daughter, Kevin Bacon's daughter, the Willis kids, IDK, name a hollywood director, producer, actor and they probably have a kid who is going to do the same.
How hard can acting be? At least to be an average character actor.
How much higher would the acting bar be if it were strictly based on merit? Seems like the talent pool is pretty inbred.

Anyway, I did think this was a pretty funny interview. Obviously she has an act to grind against Will Smith but still....

Janet Hubert slams Jada Pinkett Smith's Oscars boycott - CNN.com

Old 01-20-2016, 03:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Best Picture, or Best Director? You're jumping between categories. Well, all I can say is that the Academy disagreed with you, and it's probably unlikely it was due to race.
Why not both?

Old 01-20-2016, 04:29 PM

678 posts, read 697,505 times
Quote:
you're missing the principal of the matter. Name all the black actresses who have given oscar-winning caliber performances and have been overlooked. Good luck. The issue is not the lack of awards for people of color, but the lack of roles. That is not controlled by the academy awards.
my point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies