Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 02:31 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

I'm watching a 60's TV show right now and have caught a continuity error between long and close up shots. The color of a certain item changes in those shots.

Now, the production crew might have thought about because it looks like the the series was shot in color but a thing or two to keep in mind. First of all, back then, how many people had color TVs or for that matter, what were the percentage of the stations that broadcast in color? Secondly, of course, when did the word "repeat" come in to common language?

Now this is not to say that they are excused but rather, keep in mind of how back then could be more motivated by make it and show it as oppose to wondering if people would catch one's mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 03:28 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
http://onscreencars.com/content/uplo..._1-525x295.png

I do enjoy National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation but the scene where the Griswolds are driving
to find that perfect Christmas Tree (from Chicago or a suburb of Chicago) there are no
mountains anywhere near there.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:27 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,406 times
I was watching an episode of "Wagon Train" this past weekend. At the end of the episode the scene has the lead character looking out along the Pacific coast. As the camera pans you can see a white truck driving on a road in the background. You would think they would shoot the scene after it had passed.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:32 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter
I do enjoy National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation but the scene where the Griswolds are driving
to find that perfect Christmas Tree (from Chicago or a suburb of Chicago) there are no
mountains anywhere near there.
Ah man!!

Old 02-05-2016, 11:30 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Wow it seems like EVERY MOVIE MADE has @ least 1 mistake.... ARE PPL THAT STUPID??

It just doesnt make any sense...... Does anyone know of ANY MOVIES with no GOOFS at all??
Uh huh... if only they were as smart as you...

First, most of the 'goofs' on IMDB are artistically irrelevant. Yes, there are occasionally contrails in the sky in the distance in a western that you might be able to identify if you look closely. So, you think John Ford should have told John Wayne and the rest of the cast and crew to cool their heels for however long - half an hour, maybe an hour - for the contrails to disappear?

Or maybe you have a case where a film is cut, the time on the clock on the wall is inconsistent. But since there's no way to know just how cutting a film will work - which shots will be tossed, which order they'll be in, how long the scene will go, over when when the scene will be set amid the story - this can't be accounted for. Does it really matter? If it does, then you're far too obsessed with pedantically point things like that out than you are with actually understanding the point of a film.

Here's an example of how pointless IMDB goofs are - here's a selection from the list for Apocalypse Now.

Quote:
While reading info about Kurtz, Willard eats a Hershey bar that clearly has UPC bar code on the wrapper. These were not included on Hershey bar packaging until 1976.
Quote:
When the photojournalist welcomes Willard, his bandana is clearly rolled. A few shots later it appears flat on his forehead, and in the next shot it is back rolled again.
Quote:
There are no waterways linking the Central Coast (where the only surfable beaches in South Vietnam are situated) with Cambodia.
Quote:
The Viet Cong's tracer bullets, seen quite often throughout the film, notably when the PT boat is "sprayed" with enemy fire, appear to be red in color. In reality, the Viet Cong used green tracer ammunition while the American's used red tracer ammunition.
Sorry, my eyes are glazing over at the idea that anyone cares about this so-called 'goofs'.

I guess people must hate Gladiator and Braveheart because the characters are speaking modern English in them...

Old 02-05-2016, 12:58 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Sorry, my eyes are glazing over at the idea that anyone cares about this so-called 'goofs'.
Yeah, those are a bit.. anal.

Things like in Die Hard 2 where he's supposedly at Dulles airport in Virginia, and is talking on a Pacific Bell telephone.. OK, that's a goof.

Things like the 3 musketeers.. Shatner comes to mind.. "Get a LIFE!"

Old 02-11-2016, 06:47 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I'm watching a 60's TV show right now and have caught a continuity error between long and close up shots. The color of a certain item changes in those shots.

Now, the production crew might have thought about because it looks like the the series was shot in color but a thing or two to keep in mind. First of all, back then, how many people had color TVs or for that matter, what were the percentage of the stations that broadcast in color? Secondly, of course, when did the word "repeat" come in to common language?

Now this is not to say that they are excused but rather, keep in mind of how back then could be more motivated by make it and show it as oppose to wondering if people would catch one's mistakes.
Continuity errors are everywhere. It's hard, for example, to keep objects being used in the exact right spot from take to take, especially on TV where they don't have that kind of time to worry about it. Eating scenes are particularly horrible. Liquid in glasses changes levels from cut to cut, food may have just a bite out of it from one angle but be half gone in another angle. A plate may move around from cut to cut. I don't really worry much about continuity errors when I see them. I like things where a camera crew is reflected, or a boom mic drops into frame or when it's obvious someone is about to break just as the scene cuts. Continuity errors exist in every movie and tv show. I like the ones that are much less common. The exception to this is cars that miraculously repair themselves. Such as in Twister, the truck's windshield is shattered with a big hole in it from a combine as they outrun a tornado, the next scene, the windshield is completely in tact with not a scratch on it.

But things like this:
Quote:
The type of school lockers shown in 1964 were not available until at least the late-1960s.
Who the heck knows that?? Or cares? This is a serious one from Mr. Holland's Opus on IMDB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies