Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:48 PM

64 posts, read 73,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogityboogity View Post
And a BIIIIG dose of realistic outlook.
Hey, I'm still young. Many have lived up to their dreams... the chances are low, but it is worth a shot to become that Oscar winning director and be on TV accepting an award for Best Director, or even Best Picture.

Like they say, never stop chasing your dreams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Don't forget the casting couch.
I'll find some potential actors in college that will be up for the job. They're always looking for an acting job, even if it's just volunteer work.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:37 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynite1114 View Post
I figured that. Thanks. I'll go to film school after I finish college.

I should also probably go and submit films into film festivals to get recognition and probably win some awards that can get studios like Fox and Universal to contact me for a possible producer/director/writer/screenplay job.

You can take film classes while you're in college, too.

Meanwhile, think about getting summer jobs that in some way relate.

But don't count your chickens prematurely with already figuring on winning awards.

But I have to tell you that "Never stop chasing your dreams" is a dumb, misleading saying.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
You can take film classes while you're in college, too.

Meanwhile, think about getting summer jobs that in some way relate.

But don't count your chickens prematurely with already figuring on winning awards.

But I have to tell you that "Never stop chasing your dreams" is a dumb, misleading saying.
I never figured I would win awards. That's a dream that could come true... I can't expect it from my first film . My skills have to develop. My contacts have to grow. My films have to be more professional and more suitable for Hollywood. I have to work my way to the top to get there... nothing is handed to you in this business

Really? How's it dumb and misleading?? I mean... there's nothing wrong with going chasing your dream and CATCHING it, essentially making your dream become a reality. Sounds a little more appropriate, if you will

Old 02-11-2016, 06:21 PM

649 posts, read 570,103 times
Okay, I'll be the dream crusher, even if you're insanely hardworking and talented the chances of you becoming a successful film director is pretty slim. If I were your mother I would tell you to focus on a realistic career goal. Maybe you could pick a practical major in college and still minor in film. It's nice to have dreams but dreams don't pay the rent and put food on the table.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:04 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
Okay, I'll be the dream crusher, even if you're insanely hardworking and talented the chances of you becoming a successful film director is pretty slim. If I were your mother I would tell you to focus on a realistic career goal. Maybe you could pick a practical major in college and still minor in film. It's nice to have dreams but dreams don't pay the rent and put food on the table.
Tell that to Spielberg.

In that case we wouldn't have reached the moon, we wouldn't have antibiotics, we wouldn't be planning for the next gen (you 18-year olds) to go to Mars in 20 years, and most of our cities in the U.S. wouldn't exist (for better or for worse ).

Setting goals high is what used to drive the energy in this nation, and it's good to see it still exists. You rarely find the same energy elsewhere, based on personal ambition. But what I have a problem with is if the dream involves empty accolades, "I want to be famous." That will lead to deep disappointment if it doesn't happen, and near-guaranteed bitterness if it does, because it is so fickle and fleeting. The dream should be "I want to do great things! I want to master my craft! I want to be able to create memorable works!" Not just "I want to be known," or "I want to win awards!"

Wanting to be a success (maybe an instant one) is Youth talking. Nothing wrong with that. Reality will set in, with experience. But OP, you can start small and end big, and in the meantime you'll have accumulated the experience that may in fact make your movies memorable. Get your high school diploma, go to college and take classes in Communication, film history, philosophy of film (yes, that exists), film production, plus all the required stuff (History, Psychology, Logic, Math) that will give you the background knowledge you will be drawing on later. Get together with fellow students and make short films. Post them on YouTube. Get a following. And include that in your CV when the time comes.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:10 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
Start making film shorts now. If you can't come up with a script, find a friend who can. Even though you want to be a director, you are going to have to be producer, director, cameraman and editor....be prepared.
Read Robert Rodriguez 'Reble Without a Crew'. He made El Mariachi for under 10K, and that was on film, one of the biggest expenses. But his story is an excellent view into what it takes and how the dream can come true.
Everything can be done with a digital camera these days, so costs are reduced significantly. Which is great for the aspiring filmmakers. Quality 3CCD cameras like the Canon XL1 are pretty reasonable to acquire as well.
You will still need to invest a significant amount of money even with costs being reduced with time and technology.
You will need a lot equipment besides a camera(s). Editing programs are a must of course and a Mac computer. You seriously do not want to be doing any editing on a PC, they crash too much and hours of work lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies