Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 10:47 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
To to Disney's legacy, Zootopia just had an opening day haul in the US of over $19 million. It's projected to gross $70-$80 million this weekend which would make it the biggest March animated opening ever, topping The Lorax's $70.2 million. It's already made $93 million overseas where it opened in several markets before it's US release. It's also getting great reviews. 98% on Rotten Tomatoes out of 126 reviews. And an A Cinemascore.
Newer Disney films almost always get great reviews on RT and they almost never deserve it, in my opinion. Today's childrens films have little to no magic in them. Disney will never top its Renaissance era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 02:04 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Newer Disney films almost always get great reviews on RT and they almost never deserve it, in my opinion. Today's childrens films have little to no magic in them. Disney will never top its Renaissance era.
That's like me saying no later Star Wars movie will ever top "A New Hope." A large part of my opinion is based on the fact that I saw it the very first weekend, and a large part of the place it holds in my consciousness is based on having seen it there, in that time, when there had been nothing remotely like it for a decade.

Kids seeing it today may not have that same opinion. I think the same is true of the early Disney animations...people who saw them early will think they're much better against the current offerings than they really are.

For social reasons, I was not able to see those early Disney animations when I was a kid--I'm black and they were shown at the whites-only theaters when I was a kid. So I didn't see them until relatively later...I was older, more jaded, and there was so much else out by then.

I think Zootopia is better in every way than the "classics" out of Disney.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's like me saying no later Star Wars movie will ever top "A New Hope." A large part of my opinion is based on the fact that I saw it the very first weekend, and a large part of the place it holds in my consciousness is based on having seen it there, in that time, when there had been nothing remotely like it for a decade.

Kids seeing it today may not have that same opinion. I think the same is true of the early Disney animations...people who saw them early will think they're much better against the current offerings than they really are.

For social reasons, I was not able to see those early Disney animations when I was a kid--I'm black and they were shown at the whites-only theaters when I was a kid. So I didn't see them until relatively later...I was older, more jaded, and there was so much else out by then.

I think Zootopia is better in every way than the "classics" out of Disney.
Better than The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast? I doubt it. I haven't seen it yet and won't be surprised if I enjoy it, but we are living in what is by far the worst, least imaginative era of film, so I'm not expecting to be impressed.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Better than The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast? I doubt it. I haven't seen it yet and won't be surprised if I enjoy it, but we are living in what is by far the worst, least imaginative era of film, so I'm not expecting to be impressed.
I guess we're looking at age biases. "Disney Classics" in my view ended in the 60s.

I strongly, strongly disagree that we're living in "far the worst, least imaginative era of film." In terms of animations that really grab my gut in story and execution, I think "The Incredibles," "Up," "Inside-Out," "Finding Nemo," and the "Toy Story" saga are far superior to even the Disney Classics.

"Lion King" is close (although it's trading on the plot of "Hamlet," which is a powerful story), but "Beauty and the Beast" is just pretty.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
I guess we're looking at age biases. "Disney Classics" in my view ended in the 60s.
The Disney Renaissance era is from 1989 to 1999, which is what Gunion Powder was talking about.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Renaissance

Old 03-06-2016, 05:06 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Disney backed movies, like this weekend's number one box office winner Zootopia, are lucrative because they tend to make good, wholesome movies with redeeming characters and moral values. Good is good, bad is bad, and doing the right thing always pays out in the end.

You know, the kind of movies parents aren't worried about taking their young kids to.

On one side of Hollywood, we have producers that think they're being so 'edgy' by making movies filled with violence, sex, unnecessary profanity, gratuitous nudity, so on and so forth, even movies that are supposedly marketed towards younger people.

And on the other side we have studios continuing to make family friendly movies that most audiences want to see instead of the 'hip' movies. This isn't about religious values or political values, it's simply about people of all backgrounds that want to see movies that remind them of the good in this world, to forget all the negativity pervasive in the mainstream media and world.

So families are sending a message to Hollywood that good, wholesome movies that make you feel good about yourselves do make money.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The Disney Renaissance era is from 1989 to 1999, which is what Gunion Powder was talking about.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Renaissance
Yeah, as I said, an age bias. A renaissance only produces "classics" for someone who is post- that particular renaissance. For those prior to that renaissance, that's all "new stuff."

Old 03-06-2016, 05:11 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
The animated films are super easy to dub into foreign languages. No subtitles are necessary. So they do very well globally.

Also, kids will sometimes want to see a popular Disney movie more than once. If they like it in the theatre, then they want the DVD too.

I remember when Titanic was grossing monster amounts of ticket sales, and at the time, they said it was due to all the girls with a crush on Leo who were going to see the movie multiple times.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I remember when Titanic was grossing monster amounts of ticket sales, and at the time, they said it was due to all the girls with a crush on Leo who were going to see the movie multiple times.
And it also had stuff blowing up to reward the guys who took their main squeezes.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:

I strongly, strongly disagree that we're living in "far the worst, least imaginative era of film." In terms of animations that really grab my gut in story and execution, I think "The Incredibles," "Up," "Inside-Out," "Finding Nemo," and the "Toy Story" saga are far superior to even the Disney Classics.

"Lion King" is close (although it's trading on the plot of "Hamlet," which is a powerful story), but "Beauty and the Beast" is just pretty.
Beauty and the Beast was the first animated Disney film and one of only three that has received a Best Picture nomination at the Academy Awards. I think you have to be more than "pretty" to earn such a recognition.

The post Renaissance era has seen Disney take a new direction with films that are less campy and more adult friendly. Some of them have indeed been impressive like Finding Nemo and The Incredibles. The others have been artless, tech-driven features that almost seem to discourage kids from having any real imagination. I fell asleep twenty minutes into Up and couldn't believe it was actually promoted as a film for children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies