Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 04:06 PM

406 posts, read 288,497 times

Advertisements

Thus far, Disney has the three top grossing films of 2016:

Captain America: Civil War - $1.110b
at $377m (D), it will certainly pass $400m (D), and could challenge Iron Man 3 in (W) box office.

Zootopia - $993m
will cross $1billion (W) by next week thanks to its strong, steady performance in Japan.

The Jungle Book - $881m
with an average week over week drop of 35%, it should reach $370m (D) lifetime, pushing to $910m (W). It'll continue to play in foreign markets, and has a good chance of passing $1billion (W) when it releases in Korea and Japan over the next few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 04:28 PM

406 posts, read 288,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Disney's first bomb of the year? Alice Through the Looking Glass brought in just $26.9 million for the 3-day holiday weekend. This after the studio was forecasting at $60 million opening for a movie that cost an estimated $170 million to make. Still, with this weekend Disney did pass $4 billion in worldwide grosses.
This film might be boosted by foreign markets, in particular - China, Japan, United Kingdom, France, Russia.
Alice in Wonderland (2010) did $691m without China. If this film performs in similar fashion in these foreign markets, with China, it could make up for a disappointing domestic performance.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:10 PM

735 posts, read 1,170,742 times
Quote:
I've not seen it but reviews were pretty bad for it.
I was going to see it. But the bad reviews scared me away.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:15 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
I've not seen it but reviews were pretty bad for it.
It is just there. I think I would give it two to two and a half stars and yet I did in fact like the Alice in Wonderland remake. Some have said it was due to how the public viewed the first movie, some state reviews (as I said mostly warranted) others think it was Johnny Depp whether it is his track record of late or simply the Amber Heard situation that dropped that week. Me, I think it is the reviews and the view on the movie mixed with Depp along with Disney tentpole fatigue as we have seen big Disney movies in the past three months that are still in theaters and still in the top ten weekend box office this past holiday weekend. All I have to say is I now have to fear Pirates of the Caribbean: Deadman Tell No Tales as the last two Memorial Day weekend Disney releases have bombed now. Tomorrowland last year, now Alice Through the Looking Glass this year.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:45 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I certainly thought it was lackluster, clearly just a vehicle for Johnny Depp to be Johnny Depp. "Let's do it 'cause...Johnny Depp."
And not a good time for Johnny Depp to be getting such bad press.

Although I didn't even realize the movie came out this weekend until I saw it mentioned in an article. Not that I was going to see the movie either way. I didn't see the first movie, and I'm kind of over the whole watch Johnny Depp be [insert crazy character].

Old 06-01-2016, 05:28 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,482 times
A Disney executive basically admitted they're a studio that always swings for the fences. "They're not looking for a movie that earns $100 million or even $200 million, they're looking at $1 billion each time."

Old 06-01-2016, 06:54 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
A Disney executive basically admitted they're a studio that always swings for the fences. "They're not looking for a movie that earns $100 million or even $200 million, they're looking at $1 billion each time."
I think they want to think that but no where near all of their movies would do that. I mean did anyone honestly think they would get 1billion from Finest Hours, NO. Nobody thought that at all and if you are, you are delusional. There are other movies this year (the Lupita N'wango movie for example) that won't even on paper.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:07 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times
Because Disney promotes their films like crazy, and because they release mainstream, "happy" material. Those films have kind of built-in, guaranteed "happy quotient."

Old 06-07-2016, 01:15 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Disney has always and always will be magical.... Im almost 70 and can still remember watching Bambi, Snowhite and Cindrella in the cinema.. it was like a dream.. just wonderful and all due to one man and his wonderful cartoonists.. who were amazing on Pinocchio.... the best cartoon drawings ever...and thats why they make so much money... easy...kids love them now as they always did.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:00 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Disney has always and always will be magical.... Im almost 70 and can still remember watching Bambi, Snowhite and Cindrella in the cinema.. it was like a dream.. just wonderful and all due to one man and his wonderful cartoonists.. who were amazing on Pinocchio.... the best cartoon drawings ever...and thats why they make so much money... easy...kids love them now as they always did.
And his idea to re-release films every 7 years or so to keep capturing new generations. The company took that to video as well, locking down movies in the vault after they were available on video. Then releasing them with huge promotions warning about how you need to get them quick before they get locked back up in the vault again! Just brilliant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies