Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 11:34 AM

273 posts, read 140,089 times

Advertisements

Hopefully they won't try to cater and appease the whiney few and do what this is intended to do. Recognize the truly outstanding performances. Jada, if you don't like the setup, guess what, don't attend. Nobody is really missing you. You and your husband aren't that good in the acting field. Spike Lee is over rated, plenty of other outstanding directors, so he can sit at home too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 11:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
The Walking Dead was on and I can just look at Facebook the next day for highlights, pictures, and quotes. So far I know that Leonardo DiCaprio won for best actor, that he and Kate Winslet are besties, that Chris Rock said some uncomfortable truths, and that Sylvester Stallone went home without an Oscar again. All I need now is a slideshow of the dresses and that's about all I need from the Academy Awards in 2016.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:46 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
JMHO but I didn't think it was very funny or entertaining at all. And, after all those Oscars for Mad Max, I was so afraid it was going to win Best Picture too. I would have then thrown something at the TV.
I was so happy about Spotlight winning and having Room get an award.

Oddly this is the first year I was into them. I had watched over 10 of the movies along with having watched the Shorts on iTunes (shocked Stuttered got the award-after much thought I can understand it).

I was turned off with all the racism/diversity/etc remarks.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:48 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
I thought it hilarious that the lowest ratings (ever) occurred when Jon Stewart hosted. Do you wonder why?! LOL!

The best hosts:

Billy Crystal
Steve Martin
Whoopi
Bob Hope
Robin Williams
Dudley Moore

Old 02-29-2016, 11:48 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I imagine those ratings will continue to drop as more people cut cable and watch hulu, Netflix and such instead.
I would almost think the ratings would go up. Netflix/itunes makes it easy to watch the movies/documentaries that have been nominated.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:58 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
This was easily the WORST Oscar ceremony I have ever seen, and I've seen many! Chris Rock was only mildly funny. And there was way too much of the skewed "diversity" nonsense. The Stacey Dash moment was awkward and cringeworthy.

I think what really made the ceremony boring was the way certain categories were presented. The costume design category for example, with a bunch of costumes on stage. Or the acting awards, with a description of each character before the clips were even shown (what a waste of time!).

Old 02-29-2016, 12:01 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I've been connected with the industry since 1970 and this is the first year I went out of my way to avoid the circle of jerks. I don't care how many times an actor has missed out on best in category, a standing ovation for a role crawling on the ground and grunting in a film with no redeeming characters doesn't compare to the acting of Peter O'Toole in his worst role. Mad Max getting lauded as great cinematic art? Yeah, right. Who stole our great movies and great plots?

There have been claims for years that the real creativity and great work has moved away from the main distribution outlets (Fox, Columbia, Sony, etc.) I am now at the point of agreeing with that claim.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:03 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't understand the appeal at all. Watching stars dress up in $5,000 suits and $10,000 dresses to sit around for 3 hours and congratulate each other ... not exactly my idea of a good time.

George C. Scott was right. Maybe the rest of the world is finally catching up to him?
I'm an agreement with you, Mark S.

I didn't even know it was on last night...it wasn't even on my radar of important/noteworthy things.

Definitely an overrated event, esp. since there are tons of other awards out there.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:43 PM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
This was easily the WORST Oscar ceremony I have ever seen, and I've seen many! Chris Rock was only mildly funny. And there was way too much of the skewed "diversity" nonsense. The Stacey Dash moment was awkward and cringeworthy.

I think what really made the ceremony boring was the way certain categories were presented. The costume design category for example, with a bunch of costumes on stage. Or the acting awards, with a description of each character before the clips were even shown (what a waste of time!).
1. I very much dislike Chris Rock...although this time I thought he was quite good...for a while. After a while he became a one trick pony. I understand the diversity concern, I agree with it. But there were other topics that could have been funny, as well.

2. I thought the overall show was boring. I was not invested in any of the films this year.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:49 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I very seldom watch the Academy Awards because I find them boring and long-winded, and I miss the old "glamour" of decades past (it's as if all these movie actresses are missing something in their appearance, and I can't seem to pin down what it is).

I also did not care to listen to Chris Rock's rantings. I do find him funny most of the time, but I'm glad I tuned him out for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies