Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2016, 09:44 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

What are some movies that excited you when you watched the trailer, but then found the movie underwhelming?

There are some that come to mind for me.

Prometheus. I saw the first trailer months before the movie opened and I was stoked. Looked scary and exciting at the same time as it seemed to take on new aspects of the Alien universe mythology. Found the movie wasn't as exciting as I had hoped, not enough monsters and action sequences and too much yapping.

Godzilla (2014). Trailer seemed to show a newer and more exciting vision of Godzilla. Didn't find the movie itself as good, too much time spend introducing monsters and the battles towards the end seemed uninspired. Godzilla's enemies were dumb.

Pacific Rim. The trailer was really cool, what's better than seeing a bunch of huge robots fighting monsters. I found myself getting bored halfway through the movie.

Mad Max Fury Road. I was stoked when I saw the trailer. A new Mad Max movie, complete with a lot of real physical stunts as compared to CGI nonsense. Yet I was so underwhelmed by the movie, and didn't think much about the movie afterwards. I still can't pinpoint why I didn't really like this movie. Too many convoluted plot sequences?

Terminator Salvation. Exciting trailer, what a mess the actual movie was.

10 Cloverfield Lane......HOPE NOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 10:12 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times

Inherent Vice

Such a great trailer, such a 'meh' movie.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:13 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

I have the ability to tell whether movies going to be good or not entirely based on the trailer. My family didn't believe me for a long time and now they know the truth.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) - it looked like it could have been a good action packed movie that served as world building for a potential movie universe on the wide array of Spider-Man heroes and villains but was a let down with how it turned out and how much was shoved into a short movie.
Boyhood (2014) - focused WAY too little on the boy and honestly his sister's storyline was a bit better IMO. It focused too much on Patricia Arquette.
Crimson Peak (2015) - it was promoted one way in the trailer and then turned the opposite way in the actual movie.
Green Lantern (2011) - though I liked it, it left me wanting just a bit more and a little more serious than was given to me.
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) - just horrible and the trailer play fan-service and only showed the scenes of Indy being Indy.
The Matrix Revolution (2003) - this looked epic and then it came out... Long battles with just about every hero dead and little to no blow-off to it as Smith was freed, yet still worked with the machines.
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014) - this looked awesome in the trailer and though I did like it regardless, it just was nowhere near as good as the original Sin City was.
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (1999) - while this was yet another film I liked, I must say it didn't live up to the AMAZING trailer that was created for it. This trailer was one of the first to have buzz around it, enough so that people went and saw a movie just to see this trailer and then bail on the feature.
Straight Outta Compton (2015) - this looked epic in the trailer and high energy like a concert movie but instead was a jumbled up bio-pic with too many pieces to give proper time to.
True Grit (2011) - looked special but turned out being just a word-for-word re-shoot of the classic with John Wayne.
Vacation (2015) - looked like it would balance out the modern gross-out comedy with the heart of the previous Vacations, it didn't.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:21 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Spider-Man 3

Green Lantern

True Grit

Iron Man 3

Thor: The Dark World

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Old 03-12-2016, 02:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Spider-Man 3

Green Lantern

True Grit

Iron Man 3

Thor: The Dark World

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Agreed on Lantern, True Grit, Dark World and Spider-Man 3 though I think that was more of shoving too much into it. Venom could have easily been split into another. Force Awakens and Age of Ultron we disagree on and that's established, even Iron Man 3 (though I think it was as good as the trailer.)

Old 03-15-2016, 10:30 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Not quite that the trailer excited me but realizing that the trailer was only showing the best part of the movie.

Firepower (1979) - IMDb
and
Pure Luck (1991) - IMDb

Basically, when you look at the trailer and realize it is all from essentially the same scene.....then there is no point to watching the movie.

But that's the movie business for one. Just like a certain flick that was Great Title, Wonderful Boxcover.......................LOUSY MOVIE!

Old 03-16-2016, 07:07 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Crimson Peak (2015) - it was promoted one way in the trailer and then turned the opposite way in the actual movie.

I completely agree with this one. However, I still really liked this movie. It was just a beautifully shot film.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:39 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
I have been disappointed by two recent movies, 10 Cloverfield Lane and The Witch. Both movies had attractive trailers and were actually well made and had some good acting. But in each case I came away disappointed for several reasons.

10 Cloverfield Lane
- the problem here is more the title then the trailers. The title implies a movie along the lines of Cloverfield (2008), which this movie for the most part is not. SPOILER - the acting was good but they spend way too much of the movie down there.

The Witch - Good moody historic atmosphere, decent acting (especially unexpected from the kids) and some unexpected scenes. SPOILER - But while I expected horror, I did not expect the complete depressing darkness of what happens to the young family in this movie and much worse - the total lack of explanation of what was going on at all.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:32 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,381 times
Terminator Salvation. The trailers for Terminator 3 and Genesis looked as bad and goofy as the actual movies. The trailer for Salvation looked like they were going to do something interesting with the future war setting, and Christian Bale looked like a grown-up and hardened Edward Furlong from T2. But of course, the story was awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies