Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 07:12 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times

Advertisements

I watch a lot of horror movies. I cannot stand when being hunted or chased by the killer, the person/people cannot zip it. Either they're breathing loud, whispering loud, knocking something over, clomping loudly through the house or whatever. You're fighting for your survival, surely you could hold your breath when you know the killer is seconds away from you. Drives me nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 09:34 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I watch a lot of horror movies. I cannot stand when being hunted or chased by the killer, the person/people cannot zip it. Either they're breathing loud, whispering loud, knocking something over, clomping loudly through the house or whatever. You're fighting for your survival, surely you could hold your breath when you know the killer is seconds away from you. Drives me nuts.

YESSSSSS!!! This bugs me as well.

I also get mad when cars don't start when someone is trying to get away. I mean seriously EVERY TIME! I also hate that stupid cat that jumps out of the cupboard/closet/cabinet. Or when the killer is hiding right behind a door and when the person walks into the room the door starts to close but doesn't make a sound...

Old 03-29-2016, 04:33 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
When there is a movie set anytime before the 19th century and everyone has pearly white Hollywood teeth, even the grunts in medieval times have bleached white teeth, it's so unrealistic and it bugs me that they try to give them a rough and authentic look with the long hair, the shaggy beard, the torn clothes, but the perfect and straight teeth.

Some movies go against this grain, The Revenant comes to mind, and that was even in the 19th century. They made sure their teeth were pretty akin to what teeth likely looked like in that period, since people probably weren't too keen on dental hygiene at the time.
This reminds me of another one: Period films (18th-19th centuries) where you see bookshelves full of dusty books falling apart or people reading books that look old as dirt. If it's a "new" book to that period, it would look new.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:47 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Your examples are multiple decades old. What's your point?
I get her point, dated or not. She pretty much says it in the first line of her post.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:58 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
This is a great thread and I've seen most of my pet peeves and I will add:

Technical mistakes that "no one will notice" like the ejection seat Tom Cruise is sitting in during the Top Gun dog fight scenes. To disengage an ejection seat rail from the catapult gun (for removal) you have to install a ground-use-only maintenance device that unlocks the two. It's called a star wheel. Looking up to the right over Tom's left side it's clearly installed. It's brass, btw. Once a seat is reinstalled the star wheel comes out. That would be a huge no-no.

It bugs me - and distracts me and those around me because I'll point it out every time - when two characters are speaking face to face and they shoot the dialogue over the other person's shoulder - or just a different shot. So frequently as the shots go back and forth one character has her hair being blown around and the next shot it's still, then blowing, then still. Really? With all the hair gel available?

Old 03-29-2016, 05:38 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Women acting like hysterical helpless people who can't do anything to save themselves from the bad situations they're in. Along a similar vein, a woman is being chased by a bad guy/monster and she ALWAYS falls down, leading the bad guy to either catch her or nearly catch her. The woman always falling in love with the night in shining armor who saves her from the insurmountable obstacle she is faced with. Somehow, she never finds him ugly, creepy, married, gay, or any one of the number of dating dealbreakers women contend with in real life, and the reverse is also true. Picking up the bad guy's gun, shooting him with it, assuming he's dead, (and of course he isn't), then dropping it right beside his not dead body, so he can get right back up, grab it, and come back to finish off the job.

Also, rewarding stalkerish behavior. Tip for all the men (and rarely, women) out there: no means no, not maybe and finally yes, despite what Paramount and Universal Studios claims. Asking a girl repeatedly out on dates, hanging around her house with cards, gifts, and flowers, and calling her all hours of the day and night doesn't buy a guy a date in real life, but a restraining order and even jail time.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:15 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Women acting like hysterical helpless people who can't do anything to save themselves from the bad situations they're in. Along a similar vein, a woman is being chased by a bad guy/monster and she ALWAYS falls down, leading the bad guy to either catch her or nearly catch her. The woman always falling in love with the night in shining armor who saves her from the insurmountable obstacle she is faced with. Somehow, she never finds him ugly, creepy, married, gay, or any one of the number of dating dealbreakers women contend with in real life, and the reverse is also true. Picking up the bad guy's gun, shooting him with it, assuming he's dead, (and of course he isn't), then dropping it right beside his not dead body, so he can get right back up, grab it, and come back to finish off the job.

Also, rewarding stalkerish behavior. Tip for all the men (and rarely, women) out there: no means no, not maybe and finally yes, despite what Paramount and Universal Studios claims. Asking a girl repeatedly out on dates, hanging around her house with cards, gifts, and flowers, and calling her all hours of the day and night doesn't buy a guy a date in real life, but a restraining order and even jail time.
I agree totally with the bolded. It's a shame films like The Notebook are celebrated so much. That type of behavior should not be encouraged. Still one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:19 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,727 times
Prolonged shooutouts that don't leave the participants deaf as posts.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:30 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Drinking from/setting down empty cups that are supposed to be full. You can tell when a cup is empty, especially by the sound it makes when you set it down.
I've observed movies when a dialog between two people who were drinking out of a clear glasses in which the level of liquid would rise and fall mysteriously when the camera panned from on character to the next. Apparently, there were several "takes" and the editor did not notice that one second there was a full glass, then suddenly just a glass of ice.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:42 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Music and sound effects that drown out the dialogue.
That is because of bad editing. One thing I've noticed in some movies and many made for TV shows is poor understanding of software and above all good editing practice in film production. Many seem to think that because they can use every bell and whistle that an app provides then they should use it. I've noticed many editing practices in using sound fades and cross fades that are noisy and too flashy. Very distracting to the eye and hard to hear the dialog. The editing gets in the way of the message. Should also say a lot about the directors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies