Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2017, 06:52 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,130,597 times

Advertisements

There's already a long thread with nothing but anticipation. So I think it would be helpful to start a thread that's about the actual movie, now that it's out.

I just saw it. I should start by saying that I'm not generally a fan of superhero movies, or blockbuster scifi. I find that they tend to be top-heavy with violence, and short on story and character. (This is written by men but, oddly, is directed by the same woman who did the excellent "Monster.")

However, I thought WW was better than the few superhero-type movies I've seen in the last couple of years (e.g. Superman vs. Batman). It's a nice production, especially the Greek island introduction, and although it's skimpy on character, it manages to include a little humor. One reviewer pointed out that it's still rather sexist in the way things are explained to WW, and she's not allowed to show much beyond physical prowess. The fighting scenes throughout use the Asian martial arts movie conventions of mixing in slow motion and incorporating super-human leaps, and at one point WW charges onto a WWI battlefield like a kind of Joan of Arc, and it works really well. Chris Pine is adequate, nothing special, but Gal Gadot is the best. Not only is she beautiful, but really has the physicality to make it convincing. (I never watched the TV version, but I recently saw bits of Lynda Carter reruns, and she looks like any big-time villain could snap her in two.) According to one reviewer, Gadot was actually in the army, and she's pretty convincing. I'd give it about a B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 07:06 PM

18,986 posts, read 9,053,592 times
I'd give it an A. I'm not a huge fan of superhero movies, but having kids who are big into them I've seen my share. (Superman v. Batman was awful, IMO.) But Wonder Woman is a cut above.

I thought Gadot kicked ass. It is so refreshing to see a movie that is actually about a woman (and directed by a woman to boot!) who is strong and capable in her own right, and not merely someone's girlfriend or sister or mother. I thought all of the supporting characters were well cast and did a good job, but this movie was all Gadot's, and she carried it superbly. Great movie!

Old 06-03-2017, 07:14 PM

18,155 posts, read 15,591,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Even though from interviews, I adore Lynda Carter as a person... this is not your Lynda Carter/1970s Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman wasn't a character I ever followed. As I said earlier there are some Western comics I was way more into that DC came out with. And ones I think would make good films today with a little imagination and some knowledge of real history. Outlaw Kid being one that really jumps out. Sort of like a darker Lone Ranger on the other side of the law, but a knight with a sixgun nonetheless.

Oh I can imagine they've adapted Wonder Woman well enough. But I'd like to see some darker, more obscure DC characters come to life. They tried with Jonah Hex, which was ok, but doesn't get close to some of the other Western comics of the period. Bacharatte was another one. A one run character from what I know, and I have it in my collection, bought off the rack at Rex Drug in 1970. A whole 50 cents!! That was big money back then for a 6 year old.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:26 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,983,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
There's already a long thread with nothing but anticipation. So I think it would be helpful to start a thread that's about the actual movie, now that it's out.
Hmmm. You must not have read that thread because the other thread is about the actual movie starting at around page 19:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/movie...-movie-19.html

Old 06-03-2017, 07:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,846,011 times
Saw it and I must say: Marvel did it, Marvel did it. Wonder Woman was everything I feared it would be a year ago. I'm not looking forward to another D.C. movie that is set in stone to come out at this point and I did love Batman V. Superman and wore a damn Flash shirt to see Wonder Woman...

Old 06-03-2017, 08:03 PM

28,631 posts, read 18,708,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Saw it and I must say: Marvel did it, Marvel did it. Wonder Woman was everything I feared it would be a year ago. I'm not looking forward to another D.C. movie that is set in stone to come out at this point and I did love Batman V. Superman and wore a damn Flash shirt to see Wonder Woman...
What did you intend to say?

Old 06-03-2017, 08:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,846,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Quote:
What did you intend to say?
This is gonna get very spoiler heavy so be forewarned... Click if you want to read it.
Spoiler
I only liked this movie because of a GREAT portrayal of Wonder Woman and even Steve Trevor. That said, this movie was EXACTLY what I feared going into the movie. Don't believe me that I worried about this all along, let the thread be your guide... FYI some quotes even show I wasn't the only one...

Quote:
Looks good but I still don't like The First Avenger idea for it (except it is World War 1, not 2.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Quote:
Spoiler
This explains the picture Batman sends to Diana Prince of Wonder Woman from WW1.

I'm still not happy about Wonder Woman being used as DC's Captain America but I buy Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman after seeing Batman V. Superman.
I was wondering about that too? Why a Howling Commandos like team when she looked more Superman than Captain America in Batman V Superman they would only serve to get in her way
Quote:
Interesting but despite the mythos of the Golden Age Wonder Woman was in World War 1, this comes off a bit like a wannabe Captain America: The First Avenger. I'm looking forward to it but I want less of a period piece war film than First Avenger was and more of a Wonder Woman movie but within that time period.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Except as you know in the comics she's been around much longer then Cap as maybe not as a hero but overall.
By z few years and I admitted that. The issue is many people have Simpsons did it memory.
Quote:
This trailer removes some doubts of the First Avenger knock-off but that wasn't going to keep me away from it. Nice action and at least the Golden Lasso has the same CGI from its debut in Batman V. Superman.
Quote:
Cinematography was great and similar in The First Avenger too. But remember that and $0.50 gets you on the subway. It's normally an aspect of film people overlook. That is really an underrated movie. This does look like a more real to war depicition but as I mentioned, it has to follow a Marvel movie that did a similar tone and concept. It is a hurdle for Wonder Woman to jump. Don't get me wrong, the Greek touches and the Amazon's of Themyscira is an original touch, but is it enough to leave the comparisons in the dust? Only time will tell.
As you can see, I feared Wonder Woman: The First Avenger and that was what we got. It was basically putting Wonder Woman and her type of Greek mythos into Captain America: The First Avenger and it was EXACTLY what I feared when I saw set photos and heard the synopsis. Germans get a super-weapon with "God like power" (Tessarct for First Avenger, super mustard gas for Wonder Woman, super human joins war effort (an experiment in Captain America and an Amazon in Diana Prince), super human has a powerful shield (Capt with his vibranium shield and Wonder Woman with her mythical shield), Germans led by a deranged leader (Red Skull in First Avenger and Ludenoff in Wonder Woman), the deranged leader had a top scientist first-mate (Arnom Zola in First Avenger and Dr. Poison in Wonder Woman), a romance between the hero and the ranking British military officer working with them (Peggy Carter in First Avenger and Steve Trevor in Wonder Woman), a sacrifice by a hero on the plane with the super-weapon who by the way, has a first name of Steve, and finally the super hero returns to action in the "modern day" at the end off the film.

Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely who wrote First Avenger should feel that Allan Heinberg damn near blatantly plagiarized their work with Wonder Woman.

Because of this I can only give Wonder Woman 3 & 1/2 stars TOPS. The Simpsons did it effect took me out of the movie.

With this and the continual SNAFUs at D.C., I'm not excited for the following two movies and honestly think they need to work on getting GREAT stories for their heroes rather than play catch-up to Marvel Studios and even FoX-Men. And I say this as a Flash TV and comic fan who LOVED Batman V. Superman just a year ago.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:45 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,983,503 times
Quote:
This is gonna get very spoiler heavy so be forewarned... Click if you want to read it.
Spoiler
I only liked this movie because of a GREAT portrayal of Wonder Woman and even Steve Trevor. That said, this movie was EXACTLY what I feared going into the movie. Don't believe me that I worried about this all along, let the thread be your guide... FYI some quotes even show I wasn't the only one...

As you can see, I feared Wonder Woman: The First Avenger and that was what we got. It was basically putting Wonder Woman and her type of Greek mythos into Captain America: The First Avenger and it was EXACTLY what I feared when I saw set photos and heard the synopsis. Germans get a super-weapon with "God like power" (Tessarct for First Avenger, super mustard gas for Wonder Woman, super human joins war effort (an experiment in Captain America and an Amazon in Diana Prince), super human has a powerful shield (Capt with his vibranium shield and Wonder Woman with her mythical shield), Germans led by a deranged leader (Red Skull in First Avenger and Ludenoff in Wonder Woman), the deranged leader had a top scientist first-mate (Arnom Zola in First Avenger and Dr. Poison in Wonder Woman), a romance between the hero and the ranking British military officer working with them (Peggy Carter in First Avenger and Steve Trevor in Wonder Woman), a sacrifice by a hero on the plane with the super-weapon who by the way, has a first name of Steve, and finally the super hero returns to action in the "modern day" at the end off the film.

Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely who wrote First Avenger should feel that Allan Heinberg damn near blatantly plagiarized their work with Wonder Woman.

Because of this I can only give Wonder Woman 3 & 1/2 stars TOPS. The Simpsons did it effect took me out of the movie.

With this and the continual SNAFUs at D.C., I'm not excited for the following two movies and honestly think they need to work on getting GREAT stories for their heroes rather than play catch-up to Marvel Studios and even FoX-Men. And I say this as a Flash TV and comic fan who LOVED Batman V. Superman just a year ago.
Hmmm. I'm looking at it in an entirely different way. Because even though I can see a similarity between the First Avenger and Woman Wonder, I thought that the details were so vastlly different that I don't think that DC was trying to play catch-up with Marvel. Plus, because Wonder Woman was such as good movie, IMO(and blew Batman Vs Superman out of the water as far as storytelling goes), any fears or concerns of comparisons to the First Avenger, seemed to have melted away with the quality of this movie.

But in saying that, in my opinion, if the rest of the DC movies are going to be of this caliber, then my fears are allayed that DC won't do good with the rest of their superhero movies... and I think that DC is off to a good start.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:00 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,602,348 times
Of course the movies are so similar. Didn't you all see how The First Avenger is partially set on Mount Olympus?

Btw, the Wonder Woman soundtrack by Rupert Gregson-Williams is awesome. You can hear the whole thing on YT, but I'm old school. I actually buy physical copies of everything I enjoy.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:22 PM

28,631 posts, read 18,708,965 times
The First Avenger suffers helium-squeak-voice in comparison with Wonder Woman. It's a lot lighter weight. If we make that comparison, then the DCU continues to be a darker universe than Marvel's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies