U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-03-2016, 01:03 PM
 
5,601 posts, read 2,440,274 times
Reputation: 3187

Advertisements


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2016, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Maine
15,102 posts, read 19,745,581 times
Reputation: 17225
Looks fun, though way too much CGI for my tastes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2016, 03:03 PM
 
5,601 posts, read 2,440,274 times
Reputation: 3187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Looks fun, though way too much CGI for my tastes.
Compared to what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2016, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Maine
15,102 posts, read 19,745,581 times
Reputation: 17225
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftrefkt View Post
compared to what?
Driving Miss Daisy

Last edited by Mark S.; 11-03-2016 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2016, 03:51 PM
 
5,601 posts, read 2,440,274 times
Reputation: 3187
Seriously, what's the last SF/CBM/Fantasy film you watched that didn't utilize CGI to some significant degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2016, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Calgary, Canada
1,030 posts, read 939,311 times
Reputation: 934
I cant wait for this! looks so good!! Finally a movie I actually want to see, haven't been to theatres in forever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2016, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Maine
15,102 posts, read 19,745,581 times
Reputation: 17225
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Seriously, what's the last SF/CBM/Fantasy film you watched that didn't utilize CGI to some significant degree?
All of them do, and few of them do it well. That last clip you posted is a good example. Is there any good narrative or emotional reason we need to follow the CGI bullet across the CGI field of CGI battle? Does it add anything to the plot or our emotional investment in the character? We won't know for sure till we see the movie, but I'm betting not. Scenes like that are in there simply because the director thought, "It looks cool!"

(Also, I'm nerd enough to notice the bullet is defying gravity for some reason, but I guess CGI bullets are allowed to do that.)

CGI scenes like that have become the cinematic equivalent of the guitar solo. What started out as a great crescendo and magic moment to the song became so overused and uninteresting that it became boring.

Any effect --- be it CGI, music, etc. --- should only be there to serve the scene. But too many directors are structuring entire scenes around the CGI effect. It's no longer interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2016, 04:39 PM
 
5,601 posts, read 2,440,274 times
Reputation: 3187
Film is a VISUAL medium.

Until somebody is able to explain to me why all those suit armors couldn't blast their way out of the rubble in Iron Man 3, Patty Jenkins can depict all the CG bullets-exploding-against-Wonder-Woman's bracelets that she likes.

And, YES, it LOOKS cool. It's supposed to. We need to see Wonder Woman doing Wonder Woman stuff, though I don't think she's going to spin like Lynda Carter did.

Why does Iron Man stop to turn and blast the tank (in the first movie), and then walk toward the camera eye like a luchador about to climb back into the ring? Because it looked COOL, I guess. It certainly didn't further the story.

Why did we need to see that 360-degree shot of Rey and Luke on the atoll? I guess JJ thought it would look dramatic and cool.

Why did they need to show Superman and Zod duke it out in MoS? Because CGI has advanced enough to the point that they can, and they can do it without it looking like 1980.

All of the above, because, you know, film is a VISUAL medium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2016, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Maine
15,102 posts, read 19,745,581 times
Reputation: 17225
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Film is a VISUAL medium.
Yes, but the intent of visual effects is to enhance the story, not to be the story. This is something that way too many directors donít seem to understand.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Until somebody is able to explain to me why all those suit armors couldn't blast their way out of the rubble in [i]Iron Man 3[/I
Why is it that any time anyone has a criticism of DC, your immediate go-to argument is always, ďOh, yeah? Well, what about when Marvel Ö ?Ē

Marvel has made some lackluster and downright bad movies. I agree wholeheartedly. But that doesnít justify DC or anyone else doing it. Just because Burger King has truly nasty food doesnít make it okay for Arbyís to be even worse.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
We need to see Wonder Woman doing Wonder Woman stuff, though I don't think she's going to spin like Lynda Carter did.
And that is a crime.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Why did they need to show Superman and Zod duke it out in MoS?
But if we donít care about the combatants involved, then itís just two guys punching each other. Itís like watching someone play Mortal Kombat. The point of any fight scene is the emotions of the characters involved, not the scale of destruction. Itís why the final confrontation of the Bride and Bill or Rob Roy and Cunningham was a hundred times more thrilling than any fight I have seen in any super hero movie to date.

A thrilling fight scene isnít about cool choreography or special effects or mayhem and destruction. Itís about whatís at stake for characters we care about.

But hey, I really donít want to criticize any movie based on the trailer alone. The Wonder Woman movie looks like great fun. I canít wait to see it. I just hope it isnít buried in CGI. And I always enjoy pushing your buttons when it comes to DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2016, 09:37 AM
 
5,601 posts, read 2,440,274 times
Reputation: 3187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Why is it that any time anyone has a criticism of DC, your immediate go-to argument is always, “Oh, yeah? Well, what about when Marvel … ?”
Why is it that whenever something new is posted about DC, it's a sure bet you're going to post something negative about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Marvel has made some lackluster and downright bad movies. I agree wholeheartedly. But that doesn’t justify DC or anyone else doing it. Just because Burger King has truly nasty food doesn’t make it okay for Arby’s to be even worse.
I also posted an example about Star Wars. If we want to nitpick, we can find them in lots of movies. I don't nitpick one particular studio's productions and IPs the way you like to. I haven't heard you say one thing about Deadpool's desaturated colors or the borrowing of Inception's city-folding for Doctor Strange. That suggests bias. These are CBMs. These are films about superheros. We're going to see their abilities on display. But you keep finding things to question in the DC movies, while you give the other guys a pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And that is a crime.
If you're stuck in the past, maybe. Just because we liked it then doesn't mean it needs to be regurgitated. Why doesn't Superman still changes his clothes in a phone booth? Oh, right! He doesn't have to. And Donner even MADE A JOKE about that in the 1978 movie. And it was a good joke. And then Clark never went near a pay phone again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But if we don’t care about the combatants involved
I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But hey, I really don’t want to criticize any movie based on the trailer alone. The Wonder Woman movie looks like great fun. I can’t wait to see it. I just hope it isn’t buried in CGI. And I always enjoy pushing your buttons when it comes to DC.
Hardly. It's more fun takin' you down, ya fogey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top