Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2017, 11:23 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,975,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This is gonna get very spoiler heavy so be forewarned... Click if you want to read it.
Spoiler
I only liked this movie because of a GREAT portrayal of Wonder Woman and even Steve Trevor. That said, this movie was EXACTLY what I feared going into the movie. Don't believe me that I worried about this all along, let the thread be your guide... FYI some quotes even show I wasn't the only one...

As you can see, I feared Wonder Woman: The First Avenger and that was what we got. It was basically putting Wonder Woman and her type of Greek mythos into Captain America: The First Avenger and it was EXACTLY what I feared when I saw set photos and heard the synopsis. Germans get a super-weapon with "God like power" (Tessarct for First Avenger, super mustard gas for Wonder Woman, super human joins war effort (an experiment in Captain America and an Amazon in Diana Prince), super human has a powerful shield (Capt with his vibranium shield and Wonder Woman with her mythical shield), Germans led by a deranged leader (Red Skull in First Avenger and Ludenoff in Wonder Woman), the deranged leader had a top scientist first-mate (Arnom Zola in First Avenger and Dr. Poison in Wonder Woman), a romance between the hero and the ranking British military officer working with them (Peggy Carter in First Avenger and Steve Trevor in Wonder Woman), a sacrifice by a hero on the plane with the super-weapon who by the way, has a first name of Steve, and finally the super hero returns to action in the "modern day" at the end off the film.

Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely who wrote First Avenger should feel that Allan Heinberg damn near blatantly plagiarized their work with Wonder Woman.

Because of this I can only give Wonder Woman 3 & 1/2 stars TOPS. The Simpsons did it effect took me out of the movie.

With this and the continual SNAFUs at D.C., I'm not excited for the following two movies and honestly think they need to work on getting GREAT stories for their heroes rather than play catch-up to Marvel Studios and even FoX-Men. And I say this as a Flash TV and comic fan who LOVED Batman V. Superman just a year ago.

Also, mkpunk, it looks like you are letting something that you seem to be hung up on, get in the way of the actual movie itself(or in the case of the future DC movies... the actual movies themselves). Also, when you think about it, any series of superhero movies that DC does is going to be a form of catch-up to the huge success of the Marvel series of movies. ....It's the American way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 12:01 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,731,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Hmmm. I'm looking at it in an entirely different way. Because even though I can see a similarity between the First Avenger and Woman Wonder, I thought that the details were so vastlly different that I don't think that DC was trying to play catch-up with Marvel. Plus, because Wonder Woman was such as good movie, IMO(and blew Batman Vs Superman out of the water as far as storytelling goes), any fears or concerns of comparisons to the First Avenger, seemed to have melted away with the quality of this movie.

But in saying that, in my opinion, if the rest of the DC movies are going to be of this caliber, then my fears are allayed that DC won't do good with the rest of their superhero movies... and I think that DC is off to a good start.
I hope that the DC movies get good and not be a derivative of Marvel movies. Suicide Squad was far more unique from a similar tone Guardians of the Galaxy had, that said, Suicide Squad wasn't all that good. Batman V. Superman I loved even theatrically BUT the majority didn't. It has hurt D.C. so far where BVS had 166m opening weekend while Suicide slumped to 133m and Wonder Woman is expected to slump even further to 111m (the estimate going into Thursday.) I expect Justice League will do better but with an eh trailer and this stink, I highly doubt I'll see it opening weekend (Suicide Squad I didn't BUT I honestly would have had I not been sick that weekend) if at all. And it sucks because I am a HUGE Flash fan and this would be the first time The Flash stars in a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Of course the movies are so similar. Didn't you all see how The First Avenger is partially set on Mount Olympus?

Btw, the Wonder Woman soundtrack by Rupert Gregson-Williams is awesome. You can hear the whole thing on YT, but I'm old school. I actually buy physical copies of everything I enjoy.
The soundtrack was awesome honestly. I love Wonder Woman's theme.

That said there were minor differences in the beginning especially but the beats of the journey and the destination were far too similar for my liking. It was damn near plagiarism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The First Avenger suffers helium-squeak-voice in comparison with Wonder Woman. It's a lot lighter weight. If we make that comparison, then the DCU continues to be a darker universe than Marvel's.
It is darker and honestly it is too dark at times. WB always makes films look too dark IMHO, even if they don't have to be. And not just tone but rather cinematography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Also, mkpunk, it looks like you are letting something that you seem to be hung up on, get in the way of the actual movie itself(or in the case of the future DC movies... the actual movies themselves). Also, when you think about it, any series of superhero movies that DC does is going to be a form of catch-up to the huge success of the Marvel series of movies. ....It's the American way.
Perhaps but it seemed like blatant copy-paste. I want to give it a second shot but I can tell you it wont be in theaters at all.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:19 AM

28,564 posts, read 18,573,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is darker and honestly it is too dark at times. WB always makes films look too dark IMHO, even if they don't have to be. And not just tone but rather cinematography.
What keeps it from being too dark is Diana's continued conviction that the world can be saved and that she can save it. And even when she discovers she can't, she retains her hope that she can make a difference. It's not dark when the candle never goes out.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
What keeps it from being too dark is Diana's continued conviction that the world can be saved and that she can save it. And even when she discovers she can't, she retains her hope that she can make a difference. It's not dark when the candle never goes out.
No but got really really dim to be honest.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:13 AM

18,830 posts, read 14,019,304 times
Quote:
Most of the camera effects were slow or fast action. That was done enough that it'll annoy some people.
Slow motion effects are tolerable.
Shaky cam, jitter cam, wobble cam, jump cuts, etc., are not tolerable.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Slow motion effects are tolerable.
Shaky cam, jitter cam, wobble cam, jump cuts, etc., are not tolerable.
I honestly didn't notice it all that bad. Jump cuts maybe but not Transformers level...

Old 06-04-2017, 11:17 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,290,353 times
Went to see WW last night. We were in one of the smaller theatres, but it was packed. There was a huge group of kids -- maybe 12 years old, boys and girls -- sitting on the front row. After the first scene when Wonder Woman (who is never called "Wonder Woman" in the movie, by the way) went into full-on warrior mode and defeated the bad guys, the kids erupted into applause. Their joy was my joy.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Went to see WW last night. We were in one of the smaller theatres, but it was packed. There was a huge group of kids -- maybe 12 years old, boys and girls -- sitting on the front row. After the first scene when Wonder Woman (who is never called "Wonder Woman" in the movie, by the way) went into full-on warrior mode and defeated the bad guys, the kids erupted into applause. Their joy was my joy.
It was pretty packed when I saw it and I saw far more females than normal at most movies I goto. I admit, I'm much more of a blockbuster guy in theaters...

Old 06-04-2017, 01:40 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,574,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Had to rep you for that one!

Old 06-04-2017, 06:57 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,574,167 times
https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...=#105d9f0b3c7c

Quote:
Wonder Woman has proven decades of conventional wisdom to be wrong.

How many times have we heard about, or heard people talking about, the notion that girl-powered superhero movies stink and/or girl-powered superhero movies are box office poison? We know, Catwoman was weird and awful. Yes, Elektra was dull and awful. Sure, Tank Girl was… well, I like Tank Girl, but you get the idea.

And as you can see from the numbers noted above, the few comic book superhero adaptations with a female lead did tend to be mega-bombs. So, what was different about Wonder Woman? In a word, everything. It was the perfect storm of all the right choices and all the right results.

It was an expensive ($150 million) adventure movie, one with as much explosions, fighting and spectacle as any big-budgeted dude-centric superhero movie. It was directed by a woman, only the third time in history that a female filmmaker got a crack at a comic book movie, and certainly the first time with a budget of over $30m. It was based on a defining comic book superhero who stood alone, not a female version of a male hero or a supporting character from a male comic book story.

And, yeah, it was darn good too, earning mostly rave reviews and scorching word-of-mouth. Without star power, without team-ups and without Batman cameos, the movie kicked ass and defied the skeptics. Wonder Woman bucked every bit of conventional wisdom this weekend. If you make a big-budget female-led superhero movie, one as explosive, sweeping and action-paced as a Batman movie or a Spider-Man movie, if you make sure it’s at least as good as a mid-level MCU offering, then yeah, audiences will definitely show up.Wonder Woman came, audiences saw and thus Wonder Woman conquered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies