Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2017, 06:49 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,588,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That said there were minor differences in the beginning especially but the beats of the journey and the destination were far too similar for my liking. It was damn near plagiarism.
There's exaggeration, and then there's your allegation of plagiarism.

Wonder Woman made her first appearance in 1941. She predates all the Marvel characters in circulation right now, except Captain America (by eight months). Back then, Superman's and Cap's books were already dealing with WWII themes. Most of the regularly appearing comics were.

For Jenkins' Wonder Woman movie, the setting was moved to to WWI (the "first truly mechanized war"), and not simply to avoid comparisons to Captain America. It's the perfect setting for juxtaposing the evils conjured by the wills of men and Diana's naiveté and straight arrow-nature.

By the end of Wonder Woman, Diana is no longer the same person. The same thing happens to every other character during their origin story, from Batman to Superman to Captain America to Iron Man. (The hero's journey may be old, but it never gets old.)

Wonder Woman follows a three-act structure, as those other movies do, but I don't think it follows the same beats. She grows up emulating the Amazons' fighting routines and eventually trains under the aegis of Antiope. Diana isn't banished from Themyscira, she leaves willfully — not with the complete support of her mother, though. But Hippolyta knows what Diana must eventually do, as much as she tried to keep her from destiny. Diana goes to find "The War to End All Wars" not because she is a prideful warrior in search of conquest, but because she believes Ares' defeat will undo war and restore peace. Contrast that with the pompous jackass who is Thor, who is banished from Asgard and forced to chew dirt as an ordinary Terran that S.H.I.E.L.D. deems an alien threat, until he reacquaints himself with humility (Diana never has to), and Steve Rogers, who submits to the Super Soldier program after coming up short in every way as a conscript (and before that, being bullied continuously thanks to his diminutive frame).

Diana entertains herself in London as much as she entertains we the audience. She gets into much more than Thor does in a sleepy little desert town, wondering how he can get Mjolnir to respond to him again (because he's that arrogant), what no-goodness Loki's up to in his absence. Diana also sees the war's effects on the down-trodden firsthand. Rogers never does, because first he comes back to the States, then goes back to take on the Red Skull.

Quote:
It is darker and honestly it is too dark at times. WB always makes films look too dark IMHO, even if they don't have to be. And not just tone but rather cinematography.
I'll concur there were a few scenes that were a bit dark, but I liked Wonder Woman's cinematography a whole lot more than Guardians 2. Wonder Woman was the proverbial a tonic after floating through that cotton candy tunnel that tried to pass itself off as space opera.

Quote:
Perhaps but it seemed like blatant copy-paste.
Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger hardly invented the fish-out-of-water theme. Wonder Woman executed that theme much better than either of those films.

Spoiler
Also: Unless you read a spoiler-rich article/review, you didn't know who Ares really was until he revealed himself. Most people thought it was Ludendorff (Danny Huston).

So what was copy-pasted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 09:23 PM

28,602 posts, read 18,634,196 times
The Wonder Woman movie is so good that watching BvS is more tolerable after having watched Wonder Woman first.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:07 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,352,318 times
I absolutely loved it! Gal Gadot was perfection and fairly believable in the fight scenes, probably due to her actual military experience. She was strong and riveting. I loved her dynamic with Chris Pine and it was fabulous. The CGI was well done, and I'm not a fan of it in general.

The movie did a pretty good job of addressing WWI and it was a good storyline. People were very naive entering the war, and I think it was a good way to show their transition through WW.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:04 AM

22,865 posts, read 28,135,980 times
Saw it yesterday. Really enjoyed it.

I have wondered for years why it took so long to get Wonder Woman to the big screen, and after seeing this, now we know: We were waiting for Gal Gadot to come along. She is perfect. I haven't been this impressed by a casting decision since Ian McKellan became Gandalf.

And wow was it great to see an unabashed genuine hero in a super hero movie for once. It's about time. No whiny angst and navel gazing. Diana isn't just interesting (like Batman) or strong (like Superman), she is genuinely admirable.

Wonder Woman is by far the best of the recent DC movies (no competition at all, really), and easily the best live-action DC movie since The Dark Knight.

But it isn't perfect. The villains were one dimensional and more than a little silly. I kept waiting for Ares to tweak his mustache and tie Diana (or maybe Steve in this case) to some railroad tracks. The music was vanilla. Some of the writing, especially in the third act, was a bit too on the nose and leapery. And there were some plot holes that you could fly an invisible jet through.

But those were all minor quibbles with an otherwise thoroughly fun movie.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:08 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,698,563 times
Does she get naked?

Old 06-05-2017, 09:23 AM

15,546 posts, read 11,951,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Does she get naked?
No, but Chris Pine does.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Does she get naked?
Gal Gadot does not have to. I could spend all day just gazing into her eyes and not getting down to anywhere else.

As skinny as she is (I heard she "bulked up" for the role, but I can't see where), she still carries the role of looking like someone who can fight and be culturally naïve at the same time.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Saw it yesterday. Really enjoyed it.

I have wondered for years why it took so long to get Wonder Woman to the big screen, and after seeing this, now we know: We were waiting for Gal Gadot to come along. She is perfect. I haven't been this impressed by a casting decision since Ian McKellan became Gandalf.

And wow was it great to see an unabashed genuine hero in a super hero movie for once. It's about time. No whiny angst and navel gazing. Diana isn't just interesting (like Batman) or strong (like Superman), she is genuinely admirable.

Wonder Woman is by far the best of the recent DC movies (no competition at all, really), and easily the best live-action DC movie since The Dark Knight.

But it isn't perfect. The villains were one dimensional and more than a little silly. I kept waiting for Ares to tweak his mustache and tie Diana (or maybe Steve in this case) to some railroad tracks. The music was vanilla. Some of the writing, especially in the third act, was a bit too on the nose and leapery. And there were some plot holes that you could fly an invisible jet through.

But those were all minor quibbles with an otherwise thoroughly fun movie.
Can't rep you, but, yep to both your pros and cons.

The music was, though, 'way better than the awful trash surrounding BvS.

What were the plot holes you noted?

Old 06-05-2017, 10:15 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,130,419 times
Saw WW over the weekend and was thoroughly impressed. Gal Gadot really brought her A-game, Chris Pine and his secretary were hilarious, great action sequences, extremely intense slow motion scenes and some well-placed, well-timed comedy.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:17 AM

22,865 posts, read 28,135,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The music was, though, 'way better than the awful trash surrounding BvS.
I honestly cannot remember the BvS music. I've been doing my best to blot most of that movie from my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
What were the plot holes you noted?

Certainly nothing that “spoiled” the movie for me. Just little bits of detail that I wish the writers and director would have actually followed through on. Things like:

Spoiler
--) If Themyscira is basically just hidden by a massive “cloaking device” of sorts, why haven’t they been getting unintended visitors for years? People have been sailing those oceans for centuries. Why is Steve the first man Diana has seen?

--) If the Amazons' duty is to preserve peace, why are they constantly training for war? And what good is all that training if they refuse to leave the island?

--) When the Germans first break through the shield, we see several rowboats and a big ship of some sort headed for the beach. In the ensuing battle, the Amazons kill all the guys in the rowboats. But what about the German Navy right behind him? Where did they go? The story seemingly just makes this German fleet disappear for no apparent reason.

--) Speaking of which, why were the Germans chasing Steve’s airplane in ships???

--) Diana's mom told her that if she leaves the island, she can never come back. Why??? Is it physically impossible or more of a banishment?

--) Presumably Themyscira is somewhere around the Mediterranean, yet Steve and Diana seemingly sail to London overnight. Was it a magic sailboat?

--) Speaking of magic sailboats, they don’t bring down the sails and drop anchor before going to sleep?

--) On the Front, Diana breaks the line and her four companions come in behind her to help. Yay! And then the soldiers themselves follow her lead. The army is out of the trenches and fighting at last! And yet in the very next scene, the Army has disappeared and only Diana and the four companions go on the castle raid.

--) The German bad guys have this super weapon they have been itching to test to turn the tide of the war. So what do they do with it? They kill a village full of civilians. Why?

--) Why on earth would Steve detonate all that poison gas from thousands of feet in the air? It could disperse all over Western Europe. If he was just going to blow it up, why not do it on the ground??? This one in particular bugged me because it made his death seem less heroic and almost stupid.

--) Given the powers that Ares displayed in the final battle and his desire to wipe out humanity, why hasn’t he? Why spend decades masquerading as an English politician? Why not just start wiping out humanity? What was restraining him?

--) Zeus couldn’t kill Ares. How did Diana???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies