Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 05:53 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Thinking about how WW would have been different set in WWII instead of WWI.

1. Nations went into WWI still having a notion of war as a glorious thing, and there was still such a thing to consider as an armistice instead of the "unconditional surrender" attitude at the close of WWII.

2. Women didn't have positions of authority, but there were plenty of female aides and assistants, so the "there is a female in the room" scene wouldn't have had the subtle-but-organic feminist impact. It would have required something a lot more dramatic (and more noxious) to have the same level of impact.

Anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 06:01 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But did DC ever parody their own serious characters as "Who Says a Comic Book Has to be Good? Not Brand Ecch!" did?
Captain Carrot & His Amazing Zoo Crew was a funny animal parody of the JLA. I posted a few covers at the top of the previous page. Really corny stuff. I dig it.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
2. Women didn't have positions of authority, but there were plenty of female aides and assistants, so the "there is a female in the room" scene wouldn't have had the subtle-but-organic feminist impact. It would have required something a lot more dramatic (and more noxious) to have the same level of impact.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:21 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
That was actually one of the things I loved so much about the Wonder Woman movie. Not once did anyone give a speech about "a woman can do whatever a man can do." Instead, she just did it.

Show me. Don't tell me.

And she didn't do it by tearing the men down either. On the contrary, she encouraged them to be strong, to be honorable, to do the right thing. She was a living example to both women and men.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I can't read your mind. Face value and so on. You'll be sold on Aqua-moa the way you were sold on Wonder-Gal. The skepticism with regard to her casting was measureless. (Eat it, Campea!) But now everyone's going "Perfect casting!" Yeah. Thanks, Zack.
Gal didn't have the track record at that point to be a total buy. I haven't seen enough of Mamoa to buy him though. Gal as Diana, I remember had detractors see it in the trailers that OK, I can buy it. Mamoa I see and just see a guy in chain-mail with a character I only know the Hannah Barbara version of. As I said two out of three of the last DC movies I saw I didn't like by the time I walked out.

Quote:
Justice League 2 hasn't been pulled. Justice League Part I simply became Justice League (and after that, Infinity War Part I became, simply, Infinity War, so somebody's always looking at what WB is doing).
I think after we actually see Infinity War, we'll know enough about Captain Marvel and Avengers 4 you know the full story of why it isn't a Part 2 anymore.

Quote:
I understand your frustration with WB's constantly evolving slate. But these movies are definitely going to happen:

Aquaman (2018)
Gotham City Sirens (2019)
Cyborg (2020 – recently confirmed by Ray Fisher)
Green Lantern Corps (2020)
Batgirl (TBA)
Wonder Woman 2 (TBA)
The Batman (TBA)
Justice League 2 (TBA)
Man of Steel 2 (TBA – upgraded to 'active development' in March)
The Flash isn't even on that list I notice which annoys me. That is the one DC movie I would give a total pass and see despite my dislike of what DC is doing.

Quote:
Man of Steel 2 is going to happen (of course), but Black Adam will not, because he'll be in MoS2 as Superman's nemesis. The Flash, of course, is waiting for another director.
If they get Zemeckis like the rumor that would be awesome. I think I have heard the Black Adam talks to get The Rock to not be blocked out with his other commitments.

Quote:
Next month is Comic Con in San Diego. It's the annual event where WB unveils their plans and I predict a new slate will be unfurled in Hall H. Stand by your Twitter feed.
I hope they can stick to one and not ******** it like this last one.

Quote:
I haven't read any stories that feature Ego since John Byrne's long run on Fantastic Four in the '80s (the last time the FF was worth bothering with), barring a couple "versus" stories with ROM and the Silver Surfer. Heroes never tried to go into Ego, because that was too dangeroues. They attempted dismantling or destroying Ego's propulsion engine (which Galactus hooked to his ass in the '70s to prevent him from consuming planets, which are Galactus' food supply). In Byrne's run, the FF did just that, and had Thing venture within (time was of the essence) to bomb his brain. However, it only pissed him off and he spiraled out of control into our sun.
I've looked at ComicsExplained and EmergencyAwesome videos on Ago and that isn't all that uncommon of an occurrence actually.

Quote:
The FF head back to Earth. Ego reconstitutes himself beginning with the shards that were not consumed by solar fire. (There's your molecular control!) Then Ego repairs his own freakin' propulsion unit and is back in business!
I think he was more or less done in a way to make it true but balance out the idea of a planet being sentient.

Quote:
There was no extended battle within his colon by a bunch of gnats with laser weapons.
It wasn't his colon, it was more his core.

Quote:
You did take a leave of absence. At least I noticed you didn't post here for a while.
So what does that mean?

Quote:
Strange got nerfed. The ending with Dormammu was lame, not clever. Mads was wasted. Just my opinion, of course.
Strange also was learning his magic and had to fight Dormammu who was a cosmic villain while introducing an infinity stone (the time stone/Eye of Agamoto.) I feel the nerfing was within reason, especially if we get a more sure of himself and stronger Strange in films to come.

Quote:
If that's the case, it only reinforces my point. That was published in 2015, right? Why do you think he's written as "Pratt-like"? The same reason Hawkeye's drawn to look more like Renner now, or Fury to sound and look like Sam-Jack, and so on. That was my point.
The newer Guardians run started in 2013/4 right around the trailer dropped for the first one. That said, Dead and Gamorra hasn't changed their looks to match the movie.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:52 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Thinking about how WW would have been different set in WWII instead of WWI.

1. Nations went into WWI still having a notion of war as a glorious thing, and there was still such a thing to consider as an armistice instead of the "unconditional surrender" attitude at the close of WWII.

Anything else?
Agree with the above!

The other obvious difference is that WWI lacks an obvious "bad side," while in WWII the Nazi regime and the Japanese Great East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere were clearly, unambiguously evil.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:42 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Agree with the above!

The other obvious difference is that WWI lacks an obvious "bad side," while in WWII the Nazi regime and the Japanese Great East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere were clearly, unambiguously evil.
And besides a few isolated units, which would require military history knowledge among the viewers, there was not a static front. The armies were still able to move without a god to lead the way. I guess with the relatively new Chinese market it is only now that Japan also gets the undeniably evil tag, at least until the Enola Gay begins the atomic bombing run.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:47 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
And besides a few isolated units, which would require military history knowledge among the viewers, there was not a static front. The armies were still able to move without a god to lead the way. I guess with the relatively new Chinese market it is only now that Japan also gets the undeniably evil tag, at least until the Enola Gay begins the atomic bombing run.
Well, the Chinese still grin when they think of the Enola Gay, but the static front of WWI does make for a more dramatic point without having had to narrate it to death.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:09 AM

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#3eb97a517c92

Old 06-15-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Gal didn't have the track record at that point to be a total buy. I haven't seen enough of Mamoa to buy him though. Gal as Diana, I remember had detractors see it in the trailers that OK, I can buy it. Mamoa I see and just see a guy in chain-mail with a character I only know the Hannah Barbara version of. As I said two out of three of the last DC movies I saw I didn't like by the time I walked out.
Gal's in four of those Furious movies. Her role as Gisele has an arc, and it's a more than adequate gauge. I thought she was great in BvS, yet the skepticism did not cease. Now everyone's whistling a different tune.

Jason's been acting for 20 years. He's certainly no "worse" than Chris Hemsworth. If you can hang with Chris as Thor, you're all set with Jason as Aquaman. I thought Jason nailed the role of Conan, too. Too bad the movie flopped.

Again, I ask: you didn't like Man of Steel?

Quote:
I think after we actually see Infinity War, we'll know enough about Captain Marvel and Avengers 4 you know the full story of why it isn't a Part 2 anymore.
It will be a continuation of the same story, regardless. It will probably be Infinity Gauntlet or Infinity Stoner Rock or Infinity Wipe-out.

Quote:
The Flash isn't even on that list I notice which annoys me. That is the one DC movie I would give a total pass and see despite my dislike of what DC is doing.
You'll see Flash in Justice League. I just hope Joss doesn't dilute the tone of the film. I'm pretty sure he's behind Junkie's exit and Elfman's hire, which pisses me off.

Quote:
I've looked at ComicsExplained and EmergencyAwesome videos on Ago and that isn't all that uncommon of an occurrence actually.
I'm not familiar with those sites. Go ahead and drop some titles/issues/links, etc.

Quote:
I think he was more or less done in a way to make it true but balance out the idea of a planet being sentient.
Russell-Ego is what the movie's sold on, bad jokes and all. Ego steps away to take a leak. Later, Drax asks if he has a penis. Ego plays catch with Peter. They have the requisite man-to-man face-off, however corny.

Quote:
It wasn't his colon, it was more his core.
You took my joke too literally. Yes, his core. The colon is where the poop is.

Quote:
So what does that mean?
If you're not around, you don't see everything that's discussed. The same goes for me if I'm not reading the threads.

Quote:
Strange also was learning his magic and had to fight Dormammu who was a cosmic villain while introducing an infinity stone (the time stone/Eye of Agamoto.) I feel the nerfing was within reason, especially if we get a more sure of himself and stronger Strange in films to come.
He has a Time Stone for the Eye (which it never was in the comic). His cloak is now a source of comedy. He makes little fire-gates when he whirls his hands around in a circle. Where are his spells? His incantations? He didn't act like the Sorcerer Supreme at all. The Time Stone became a gimmick.

Quote:
The newer Guardians run started in 2013/4 right around the trailer dropped for the first one. That said, Dead and Gamorra hasn't changed their looks to match the movie.
You just moved a goalpost, sir. You were referring to a particular storyline published in 2015, after the movie came out. I already said the screen Guardians are based, generally, on the GOTG team that got their own book in '08. But Gunn also infused the story with much of his love for Farscape. Pratt-Quill acts a bit like the lead from that show. The deal with Kitty and Quill was in 2015, not 2013 or 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies