U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 11:56 PM

2,994 posts, read 978,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
DC has been struggling to play catch up with Marvel for a while now they threw together BVS it would seem over night. The movie was dark and everyone was brooding even Superman he's not supposed to brood. Having WW in it was a bright spot for the movie.

I called it before WW came out that this would be DC's saving grace which it was. What really surprised me is that many women who watched it on the forum thought it was a bit sexist. Still trying to figure that one out. I give DC props for doing a movie where there was a strong female lead with good values where Marvel not so much.
Could the sexism be do to her costume? There was one reviewer of the movie, who referred to her costume being a 'teenager's wet dream' as she put it, so maybe the costume is mostly it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 05:41 AM

42,262 posts, read 49,809,717 times
It was ok.

It was entirely predictable. I hadn't seen any spoiler trailers or whatever, but I knew who Ares was right off the bat.
There was literally no other reason for that guy to keep reappearing.

The villains were silly and goofy.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:42 AM

42,262 posts, read 49,809,717 times
Quote:
. What really surprised me is that many women who watched it on the forum thought it was a bit sexist. Still trying to figure that one out. I give DC props for doing a movie where there was a strong female lead with good values where Marvel not so much.
I haven't seen those posts and I seem to be the only woman I know IRL who didn't think it was super awesome faboo.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:09 AM

12,136 posts, read 8,115,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Really? I must have missed those post; I thought it was no more or less sexist than any of the other Marvel movies. I could do without the romance, but, I feel that way when there's a male lead in these movies as well. I always look forward to a strong woman character, this one was OK. I think as she gets older and more comfortable in her own skin, I'd find her a stronger character, but I liked her for who she was, I just look forward to a more seasoned WW.

Someone was complaining about her outfit this like many was another or origin story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Could the sexism be do to her costume? There was one reviewer of the movie, who referred to her costume being a 'teenager's wet dream' as she put it, so maybe the costume is mostly it?

The 70' WW was worse I see more skin walking around town during the summer or at the beach/lake then I did with her outfit.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:28 AM

7,923 posts, read 7,273,551 times
Quote:
Someone was complaining about her outfit this like many was another or origin story.

Well that's just silly, WW has always been statuesque, a beauty non-the less; how did they want her to appear dressed like the Pillsbury Doughboy/girl maybe Martha Stewardess I guess. I don't recall people complaining about Cat Woman's costumes

Old 11-04-2017, 10:01 AM

2,386 posts, read 1,221,902 times
Quote:
That's true, it's the best superhero movie since The Dark Knight rises in my opinion.
Best Superhero movie since Dark Knight Rises by DC or overall??? Obviously, these are all subjective opinions, but Marvel has had several, way better films than Wonder Woman. In fact, Gaurdians of the Galaxy 2 came out right around the time Wonder Woman did, and to me was a much better and more fun film. It beat out Wonder Woman at the box office as well, being the highest grossing blockbuster this summer.

I thought Wonder Woman was good, but nothing spectacular. Lots of slow spots and the last third of the film was underwhelming. Again, a decent movie, but doesn't come close to the top of my list for superhero movies.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:38 PM

5,598 posts, read 2,437,890 times
For the record, Wonder Woman earned more than Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (which was nothing more than a lot of nice VFX draped over a crappy, cliché narrative loaded with lame gags) domestically.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:24 PM

14,939 posts, read 26,654,208 times
Quote:
I thought it was pretty good. It is overrated though, in the sense, that everyone is saying how it's one of the very best superhero movies of all time, or a masterpiece. Where as I think it's a good solid superhero movie, and entertaining, but not as far masterpiece. I would put around #10, if I made a top 10 superhero movie list perhaps.

SPOILERS

One major complaint I have about it, is that I feel that the twist in the end, was not as well done. Mainly they make it so that Danny Huston was not Ares, and it was Trevor's superior.

But I felt it would have been a much better twist if the Dr. Poison character (Elaina Anaya), was Ares. You just wouldn't have seen it coming so much, and I think it would have felt like a much more natural twist, as it makes sense for Ares to disguise himself as a woman, if the Amazons would be looking for him.

It also makes more sense for Ares to making weapons of mass destruction if he wants to take over the world.

I also feel that by keeping the villain as a surprise, that they didn't have enough time to develop him as a result, which makes for a less stronger villain, in favor of a surprise twist as a result.

But that is not too big of a complaint, just something I thought would be really cool if it were to happen.

I feel that maybe the fish out of water humor gags also is done for too long maybe, to the point where it gets kind of gimmicky. But that's also not a huge complaint, as the movie also has a lot of pros too it. What do you think?
ironpony: This is a Duplicate thread. There is already a WW thread in progress. Please make sure to do a search, per the TOS, prior to starting threads. Will merge threads.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:24 AM

15,094 posts, read 19,737,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Well that's just silly, WW has always been statuesque, a beauty non-the less; how did they want her to appear dressed like the Pillsbury Doughboy/girl maybe Martha Stewardess I guess. I don't recall people complaining about Cat Woman's costumes
Yes.

There is a branch of feminism (thankfully on the decline) that is deeply offended by any images of feminine beauty and sexuality. The dogma is: "Images of beautiful and sexy women only exist to feed the oppressive patriarchy."

There is some truth to that statement, but the word "only" renders the whole thing false. Yes, men and misogyny have often abused beautiful and "sexy" women, and men throughout the ages have objectified women for their beauty and sex. But "abuse" is by definition a good "use" gone bad. There is nothing inherently wrong with feminine beauty and sexuality. Don't throw the babe out with the bathwater.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:27 PM

2,700 posts, read 5,157,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I haven't seen those posts and I seem to be the only woman I know IRL who didn't think it was super awesome faboo.
I didn't think it was super awesome faboo. I liked some parts of it quite a lot -- specially all the Themyscira/Amazon bits. Overall, though, it was a bit disappointing. I didn't walk out of it thinking how amazing it was. (I just walked out of Thor Ragnarok and thought it was -- pardon the pun -- hella good.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or