Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 04:24 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
My point precisely. Shirtlessness has nothing to do with the quality of a band. Rush's music was boring because Rush's music was boring. It had nothing to do with Geddy Lee's attire or haircut.
You must barely remember Rush if "boring" is the only descriptor you can conjure. I think you just hate them because your bro woke you up with "Lakeside Park" every morning while you were trying to sleep in.

Quote:
I'll grant you that Johnny Rotten is a professional butthead and that Sid Vicious could barely play. But Never Mind the *******s … is still one of the greatest rock albums every made.
Put the pipe down and step away. You can do it. One, two, three...

Quote:
Very few modern bands will still be remembered 40 years from now.

I keep trying to figure out what people are hearing in bands like Cold Play and Radiohead that I am not hearing. No luck so far.
Coldplay is one of the most outrageously vanilla (read: boring) wuss rock bands I've ever heard. Now look, I listen to a range of different genres and styles. I love jazz-fusion. I love film score. I have a good number of solo piano albums, too. But those guys make U2 sound like Van Halen. Therefore, they should disband immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 04:31 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
You must barely remember Rush if "boring" is the only descriptor you can conjure. I think you just hate them because your bro woke you up with "Lakeside Park" every morning while you were trying to sleep in.

Put the pipe down and step away. You can do it. One, two, three...

Coldplay is one of the most outrageously vanilla (read: boring) wuss rock bands I've ever heard. Now look, I listen to a range of different genres and styles. I love jazz-fusion. I love film score. I have a good number of solo piano albums, too. But those guys make U2 sound like Van Halen. Therefore, they should disband immediately.

Scouts honor AFt: Ten years ago, a co-worker who knew my music tastes well suggested that if I like '70s music I might like Coldplay.

Ten years later and I'm still at a loss as to why they would make that suggestion!

Old 07-04-2018, 05:31 PM

"If you like '70s rock, you may like Coldplay!" — said nobody ever, except your co-worker.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
"If you like '70s rock, you may like Coldplay!" — said nobody ever, except your co-worker.
I'm not making it up! Tune in to Fox News if you want stuff made up. I'm not in that business.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
I'm not making it up! Tune in to Fox News if you want stuff made up. I'm not in that business.
Dude, I said "except." Relax.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:44 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Very few modern bands will still be remembered 40 years from now.

I keep trying to figure out what people are hearing in bands like Cold Play and Radiohead that I am not hearing. No luck so far.
My millennial daughter and I were just talking about that issue an hour ago.

I pointed out that the Beatles' "Yesterday" had been translated to 150 languages (I myself knew it in both English and Spanish). It was sung and struck home with people all over the world.

Yet, the average Millennial today has never heard of it.

So, I challenged, what hope do you have that anyone is going to have heard of Tupac or anyone else today in forty or fifty years?

Her response was that through the Internet, Millennials borg. She uses that as a verb to describe what becomes a ubiquitous hive intelligence of her generation, and she thinks what Millennials borg, the following X-gen will also borg. The following generation may do the same thing, borging the hive knowledge of each generation.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Dude, I said "except." Relax.
"Relax" I LOATHE that word.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
"Relax" I LOATHE that word.
Chill.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Chill.
Perhaps the co-worker who told me that about Cold Play was just trying to drag me, kicking and screaming, into this century? Well, I like what I like, no bones about it.

I may have old-fashioned tastes in music and movies, but at least my ideas about how to make certain things "great" are more on the progressive side.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:22 AM

Don't worry about it. Just like what you like. But sometimes give something else a chance. Then you'll know if you don't really like it. Btw, you can't be old-fashioned and progressive. They cancel each other out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies