Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2018, 09:33 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Btw, you can't be old-fashioned and progressive. They cancel each other out.
Wrong. Sometimes the old coot is the boldest radical in the room.

“Men invent new ideals because they dare not attempt old ideals. They look forward with enthusiasm, because they are afraid to look back.” (G.K. Chesterton)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 11:24 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Wrong. Sometimes the old coot is the boldest radical in the room.

“Men invent new ideals because they dare not attempt old ideals. They look forward with enthusiasm, because they are afraid to look back.” (G.K. Chesterton)
GrandK isn't looking forward with enthusiasm at all. He seems to abhor 99% of what's happening today in music, cinema, and I'll assume literature.

It's not about being so retro he's progressive. He prefers not to venture beyond his comfort zone. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that. But that doesn't make him a radical.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
GrandK isn't looking forward with enthusiasm at all. He seems to abhor 99% of what's happening today in music, cinema, and I'll assume literature.

It's not about being so retro he's progressive. He prefers not to venture beyond his comfort zone. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that. But that doesn't make him a radical.
I'm not addressing individuals, but the concept that you can't be old-fashioned and progressive at the same time. The reverse is actually true --- although you have to come to terms with the fact that those who call themselves "progressive" are generally anything but progressive. Progress means making things better, and that involves a value judgement. You can't have a value judgement without a standard, be it moral or aesthetic, and standards are usually the number one thing progressives are trying to be rid of.

True progressives are generally looking backward, not forward.

The Renaissance came about not because people were throwing off the shackles of the Middle Ages and doing anything new for newness's sake. No. They looked back to the Classical Age. It was not a new birth, but a rebirth.

Rock and roll wasn't born by people looking forward, trying to get past Perry Como or Frank Sinatra or Bing Crosby. They were looking back to the great blues and country artists of the early 1900s. In looking back, they brought about another rebirth of popular music.

The same thing happened to a lesser extent with the grunge fad of the '90s. Just when pop music was about to die in a morass of over-produced computer-infected noise, a bunch of bands looked back to punk and blues and folk music and blended it into yet another re-birth.

So if you're looking for the next new wave of progress in cinema or music or politics or literature or whatever, you'd be safe to ignore everyone trying desperately to do "do something new." Pay attention to the artists looking back. That's where the next rebirth will come from.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:19 PM

You got carried away.

GrandK's old-fashioned-ness is a deliberate CHOICE. He chooses to indulge that which warms his heart. If it happened between 1965-1985, he's down. If not, he probably isn't. He's made that abundantly clear. It's not "his jam."

That's all I meant.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:12 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,048 times
Quote:
I'm not addressing individuals, but the concept that you can't be old-fashioned and progressive at the same time. The reverse is actually true --- although you have to come to terms with the fact that those who call themselves "progressive" are generally anything but progressive. Progress means making things better, and that involves a value judgement. You can't have a value judgement without a standard, be it moral or aesthetic, and standards are usually the number one thing progressives are trying to be rid of.

True progressives are generally looking backward, not forward.

The Renaissance came about not because people were throwing off the shackles of the Middle Ages and doing anything new for newness's sake. No. They looked back to the Classical Age. It was not a new birth, but a rebirth.

Rock and roll wasn't born by people looking forward, trying to get past Perry Como or Frank Sinatra or Bing Crosby. They were looking back to the great blues and country artists of the early 1900s. In looking back, they brought about another rebirth of popular music.

The same thing happened to a lesser extent with the grunge fad of the '90s. Just when pop music was about to die in a morass of over-produced computer-infected noise, a bunch of bands looked back to punk and blues and folk music and blended it into yet another re-birth.

So if you're looking for the next new wave of progress in cinema or music or politics or literature or whatever, you'd be safe to ignore everyone trying desperately to do "do something new." Pay attention to the artists looking back. That's where the next rebirth will come from.
So I cannot both prefer the entertainment of the past, and be in favor of Universal Health Care, gun control, and a living wage? Bull Sh - !!

Old 07-06-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
So I cannot both prefer the entertainment of the past, and be in favor of Universal Health Care, gun control, and a living wage? Bull Sh - !!
Cool your jets, Big G. I'm talking movies and music, not politics.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:26 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,048 times
Quote:
Cool your jets, Big G. I'm talking movies and music, not politics.
Just saying I'm not a complete retro head! lol

Old 07-08-2018, 10:41 AM

https://twitter.com/_BrooklynBatman/...63437593485317

Old 07-12-2018, 07:56 AM

512 posts, read 320,930 times
There is some interesting footage out there of Kristen Wiig suspended from wires doing some stunt work in front of the Mexican embassy in DC. Although she is not wearing any makeup or any prosthetics, it is quite clear that she is using her cat-like Cheetah powers. I wonder of the transformation in full Cheetah form will be gradual throughout the film, and if her discovery and use of her powers will slowly come accompanied with her body turning into a were-cheetah...

Old 07-12-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
There is some interesting footage out there of Kristen Wiig suspended from wires doing some stunt work in front of the Mexican embassy in DC. Although she is not wearing any makeup or any prosthetics, it is quite clear that she is using her cat-like Cheetah powers. I wonder of the transformation in full Cheetah form will be gradual throughout the film, and if her discovery and use of her powers will slowly come accompanied with her body turning into a were-cheetah...
It won't be her first nude scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies