U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 12:08 PM

3,196 posts, read 1,885,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I like Tom Cruise (Risky Business is probably my favourite movie with him) ....... I just dont like all the remakes.. THEY CANT LEAVE PURITY ALONE......... They gotta make what was SEMI GOOD (1999) even worse!! (It wont be any better than the 1999 one you can almost guarantee that!!)
The '99 version was a remake. And this new version is clearly more in line with the original than the '99 "remake."
Complaining about this remake just because it's a remake while singing the praises of the last remake is nonsensical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I can't recall a decent remake in years that I can honestly say that I've liked better then the original. Most of us here have said how bad Ghostbusters 3 is going to be. And I believe you were included in that.
John Carpenter's The Thing is one of the best horror films ever made and it's a remake.
Ocean's Eleven is a remake of a "classic" and it's fun as hell.
The Departed is a remake of a Korean trilogy of movies.
The Fly.
A Fistful of Dollars.
The Ring.
The Omega Man.
The Nutty Professor.
Invasion of The Body Snatchers.
Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde.
Evil Dead 2.
The Thomas Crowne Affair.
Gone In 60 Seconds.
Unfaithful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 01:20 PM

12,335 posts, read 16,972,539 times
Quote:
I can't recall a decent remake in years that I can honestly say that I've liked better then the original. Most of us here have said how bad Ghostbusters 3 is going to be. And I believe you were included in that.
What Mordin just wrote, I second.

And for the record, I have no idea if Ghostbusters 3 is going to be good or bad. I hope it will be great. But that first trailer was certainly awful. It might just be a bad trailer for a good movie. Or the whole movie might be a dud. I won't know till I see it.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:40 PM

2,903 posts, read 950,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
John Carpenter's The Thing is one of the best horror films ever made and it's a remake.

Quote:
3. IT’S NOT A REMAKE.

Though it’s often cited as a remake of the 1951 film The Thing from Another World, it’s really not. Though the two films do share the same source material—John W. Campbell Jr.’s 1938 story, “Who Goes There?”—
Carpenter was clear that he “didn’t want to compete with the old film, which was greatly beloved by me. So I went back the novella [on] which both films were based.” Unlike the 1951 film, Carpenter’s movie features a creature that can perfectly imitate its victims.

Carpenter does, however, pay homage to the earlier film, most notably in the scene where he shows the alien’s icy tomb that has been removed from the snow and in the main title sequence.

13 Fascinating Facts About

Quote:
The Omega Man.

Debatable. It barely resembles The Last Man on Earth, which was more faithful to Matheson's novella I Am Legend. I enjoy TOM's vibe. Both movies are far better than that thing Will Smith starred in.

Also, what is Evil Dead 2 a remake of? Do you mean the second installment subtitled Dead By Dawn, or the recent remake also called Dead By Dawn.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:57 PM

7,878 posts, read 5,972,817 times
Quote:
Complaining about this remake just because it's a remake while singing the praises of the last remake is nonsensical.

Ocean's Eleven is a remake of a "classic" and it's fun as hell.
The Departed is a remake of a Korean trilogy of movies.
The Fly.
A Fistful of Dollars.
The Ring.
The Omega Man.
The Nutty Professor.
Invasion of The Body Snatchers.
Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde.
Evil Dead 2.
The Thomas Crowne Affair.
Gone In 60 Seconds.
Unfaithful.

Point taken. Yet for many of us depending on your age some of those were the originals.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:59 PM

3,196 posts, read 1,885,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
That's splitting hairs. On the DVD commentary he talks about how he watched the original over and over before filming started. It was clearly not a new franchise.

Quote:
Debatable. It barely resembles The Last Man on Earth, which was more faithful to Matheson's novella I Am Legend. I enjoy TOM's vibe. Both movies are far better than that thing Will Smith starred in.
Again, splitting hairs.

Quote:
Also, what is Evil Dead 2 a remake of? Do you mean the second installment subtitled Dead By Dawn, or the recent remake also called Dead By Dawn.
Evil Dead 2 is a functional remake of Evil Dead 1.

Quote:
Point taken. Yet for many of us depending on your age some of those were the originals.
So what? For some people 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' is the only Indiana Jones movie.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:30 AM

2,903 posts, read 950,320 times
Quote:
That's splitting hairs. On the DVD commentary he talks about how he watched the original over and over before filming started. It was clearly not a new franchise.
No, it's not splitting hairs. Of course he watched the original. Carpenter was a horror nut before he started making movies. So he revisited the film before he began filming because, IMO, he didn't want to do that film again. Carpenter's uses the original story as its springboard.

Quote:
Again, splitting hairs.
Baloney. Read Matheson's novella. The Omega Man is very much a product of the early '70s ("The Family"). The most talked-about aspect of the film was Heston's and Cash's interracial kiss. And while the Will Smith movie is overblown dross, at least that movie didn't forget to include Neville's dog (of course, the dog's role in the original novella is different and much more tragic). The only thing I didn't get about The Last Man on Earth was the change in the protagonist's name from Neville to Morgan.

Quote:
"Richard Matheson said that The Omega Man (1971) was so removed from his book that it didn't even bother him."
The Omega Man (1971) - Trivia - IMDb

Quote:
Evil Dead 2 is a functional remake of Evil Dead 1.
You can look at it that way if you'd like. Your choice. I don't. I don't view Day of the Dead as a functional remake of Dawn of the Dead, either (or Dawn being one of Night).

Quote:
So what? For some people 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' is the only Indiana Jones movie.
What a pointless remark.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:34 AM

12,335 posts, read 16,972,539 times
Quote:
"The one I saw first" does not equal "original." Words mean things.

Really though, I roll my eyes every time someone bemoans the "lack of originality" in movies. There are no truly original stories, and there haven't been for thousands of years. The last person to tell a truly original story was probably huddled over the fire gnawing on a mammoth bone.

What the bemoaners actually mean (and I sympathize to a degree) is that too many movies are just outright copying the works of others. A line for line copy of the recipe with no fresh ingredients, just shinier pots and pans. That I understand and can even agree with to a degree.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:31 AM

7,878 posts, read 5,972,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
"The one I saw first" does not equal "original." Words mean things.

I doubt if movies like Ghost Buster or Goonies are a remake which is why I said what I did.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:54 AM

15,660 posts, read 13,863,968 times
They should do a comedy Mummy movie with Will Ferrell. He and his entourage go to Egypt, uncover and accidentally resurrect a female Mummy and she wants him to be her consort. Hijinks and mayhem ensue.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:19 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,067,309 times
I thought TC did a great job in the remake of War of the Worlds...And I love the original.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies