U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2017, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Arizona
4,647 posts, read 4,583,529 times
Reputation: 6273

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Rogue One was awesome - my second favorite Star Wars movie after Empire Strikes Back.

The final act of the move, from when they land on Scarif through Vader watching the Tantive IV get away, was pretty amazing. So many great cameos that felt in place and not just there to be gratuitous. Loved seeing Vader being a menacing figure again after what we saw in the prequels. Love how they answered that nagging question regarding an obvious flaw existing in the original Death Star and did so in a perfect way.

It will be interesting to see what the re-shoots were all about and just how much they cut out and added in.
An almost 40-year long criticism of the original movie finally and believably put to rest! I loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2017, 10:54 AM
 
4,248 posts, read 3,013,508 times
Reputation: 11074
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
An almost 40-year long criticism of the original movie finally and believably put to rest! I loved it.
I'm pretty sure they HAD to address this because it was criticized so much over the past 39 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2017, 12:57 PM
 
2,191 posts, read 1,069,423 times
Reputation: 2619
SAw it Sunday. Had the pick of seats at the theater. Except for the wad kicking the back of my seat, I had a blast watching this SW movie! Cool to see The Princess at the end...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2017, 09:13 AM
 
3,925 posts, read 900,196 times
Reputation: 1736
Started slow, but the final third was excellent, especially the Darth Vader scenes. My main criticism is that despite the film being bold enough to kill off pretty much every main character, it forgot to give me a reason to actually give a s***. Character development was very poor, they went for quantity over quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2017, 09:36 AM
 
13,798 posts, read 6,733,583 times
Reputation: 12635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Started slow, but the final third was excellent, especially the Darth Vader scenes. My main criticism is that despite the film being bold enough to kill off pretty much every main character, it forgot to give me a reason to actually give a s***. Character development was very poor, they went for quantity over quality.
Character development in Rogue One was on par with A New Hope and with other movies of its type (war movies, caper movies), such as The Dirty Dozen, The Magnificent Seven, A Bridge Too Far, Ocean's Eleven, The Italian Job, Inception, Saving Private Ryan, et cetera.


In that kind of movie, the story is not about the characters, it's about the mission or the caper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2017, 11:52 AM
 
3,925 posts, read 900,196 times
Reputation: 1736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Character development in Rogue One was on par with A New Hope
The thing is, in a New Hope the characters were interesting and likable, with clear motivations. As a bonus, I could even remember their names! Apart from Jyn, Galen, and Director Krennic, I literally can't remember the names of any of the new characters in Rogue One.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2017, 12:19 PM
 
13,798 posts, read 6,733,583 times
Reputation: 12635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
The thing is, in a New Hope the characters were interesting and likable, with clear motivations. As a bonus, I could even remember their names! Apart from Jyn, Galen, and Director Krennic, I literally can't remember the names of any of the new characters in Rogue One.

None of us who originally watched A New Hope in 1977 knew anything more about those characters by the end of that movie than anyone knows of the Rogue One characters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2017, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Maine
12,349 posts, read 16,985,851 times
Reputation: 13109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
The thing is, in a New Hope the characters were interesting and likable, with clear motivations. As a bonus, I could even remember their names! Apart from Jyn, Galen, and Director Krennic, I literally can't remember the names of any of the new characters in Rogue One.
Luke, Han, and Leia were the main characters of ANH. We knew their motivations.

With ROGUE ONE, the only real main character was Jyn. Everyone else were sidekicks or mentors or enemies. I knew enough about Jyn to make me care. Everyone else was only there as they related to Jyn, so the movie gave us enough to distinguish them, but we don't need to know their hopes and dreams and history any more than we did Obi Wan's or Grand Moff Tarkin's or Greedo's in ANH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2017, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Orange Blossom Trail
5,991 posts, read 3,507,519 times
Reputation: 2389
Huge Star Wars fan, I have not seen any of the Disney movies though. Waiting for Disney to make a story in Clones Wars era. I would love to see a Jedi movie based on Dooku and Qui Gon Jinn or the underworld of Coruscant. Disney keeps hanging around the Rebellion era and telling stories based on characters from only half of Georges 6 film saga. I really wish Disney would visit those other eras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2017, 06:23 PM
 
13,798 posts, read 6,733,583 times
Reputation: 12635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Luke, Han, and Leia were the main characters of ANH. We knew their motivations.

With ROGUE ONE, the only real main character was Jyn. Everyone else were sidekicks or mentors or enemies. I knew enough about Jyn to make me care. Everyone else was only there as they related to Jyn, so the movie gave us enough to distinguish them, but we don't need to know their hopes and dreams and history any more than we did Obi Wan's or Grand Moff Tarkin's or Greedo's in ANH.
At that, we didn't actually know any more about Han's motivation or backstory than we knew of Cassian's. Cassian and Han were very similar characters, the only ones who actually did any "evolving" over the course of their respective roles. Notice, both of them shot first.

We did know a significant amount of Galen's backstory.

But again, compared to other stories of similar genres--caper movies and war movies, in which the caper or the mission is actually the point of the movie--we know as much of the characters as is usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top