U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 06:55 PM

25,446 posts, read 6,501,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnD-rBXattk

Before you start complaining about "another remake," "Hollywood is out of ideas," etc., etc., keep in mind that THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN from 1960 was also a remake.

Then it was the best, and doesn't need to be remade--again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 08:38 PM

3,977 posts, read 1,834,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Other than Denzel, I don't disagree. That said ...

They don't make movie stars like they used to. McQueen? Bronson? Coburn? Brunner? Wallach? I can't think of a single movie star today who is fit to sit in their shadow.
At the time Yul Brynner was a movie star Denzel seems to be in his role. Steve McQueen was a TV star moving up Chris Pratt is probably ahead of Steve McQueen at that point of his career coming off of TV, the Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic World. The rest were just actors, not stars, and most still showed up as the villain of the week on TV shows, It would be at least five years after the fact that before James Coburn became a star, longer for Charles Bronson and Robert Vaughn went to TV to become a star.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:53 AM

12,359 posts, read 17,000,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
That would be hard to argue. However, I'll at least give this remake a chance. None of these guys really have the true "tough guy" swag that the old school cast did
True. But it's one of the lamentable facts of modern movies. There are no tough guys anymore. What is today's equivalent of Lee Marvin? James Coburn? Bronson? Eastwood? There isn't one.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:51 AM

2,960 posts, read 963,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
At the time Yul Brynner was a movie star Denzel seems to be in his role. Steve McQueen was a TV star moving up Chris Pratt is probably ahead of Steve McQueen at that point of his career coming off of TV, the Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic World. The rest were just actors, not stars, and most still showed up as the villain of the week on TV shows, It would be at least five years after the fact that before James Coburn became a star, longer for Charles Bronson and Robert Vaughn went to TV to become a star.
Pratt's also seven years older than McQueen was in '60 (he was 30). Pratt's now a name after two movies. The "actors, not stars" aspect also pertains to the cast of this remake. Apart from Denzel, Chris and maybe Ethan Hawke (debatable), who could carry a movie on his or her own?

Not sure what the point of your post is. Actors 50+ years ago didn't get talked about on social media all the time. There were no Andy Dwyer memes floating around.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:28 PM

2,056 posts, read 800,886 times
looks lame. Is that heavy metal in the soundtrack?

Old 04-21-2016, 04:28 PM

1,345 posts, read 360,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It was a remake of a Japanese movie called The Seven Samurai.

Seven Samurai (1954) - IMDb
And what needs to be added is that The Magnificent Seven is okay, but Seven Samurai is a masterpiece.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:14 PM

1,895 posts, read 1,525,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
And what needs to be added is that The Magnificent Seven is okay, but Seven Samurai is a masterpiece.
Word. I actually love the Magnificent Seven for how silly it is. It's really dated now. The best part of it is the theme. Seven Samurai still holds up for the most part (except some overacting, but that was more the norm at the time, and no one was as bad as Horst Buchholz). I saw it last summer and it was pretty incredible. I wish we could see a Japanese remake of that, actually.

As far as this movie goes, I prefer this Seven remake to stick closer to Samurai than the original Seven. And Denzel is definitely a worthy successor to Yul Brynner

Old 04-24-2016, 05:35 PM

7,321 posts, read 2,877,331 times
Denzel, hmmm...

Either way, there is no one that can reprise the roles played by Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn, or James Coburn. And while there aren't many who can direct an action film as well as Antoine Fuqua, the original depended more on acting than great stunts and awesome camera work, I'll watch this one when it comes out on DVD.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:30 PM

7,891 posts, read 5,984,299 times
We saw The Huntsmen today & they showed a preview of this & it looks very good. While not a fan of remakes this is one I want to see.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:47 AM

15,683 posts, read 13,890,614 times
I thought the trailer looked pretty weak. Nothing new to see here and actors less capable than in the original , as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies