U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 09:58 PM

13,289 posts, read 6,467,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Seven warriors band together to defend a village from bandits.

That is the plot of the original SEVEN SAMURAI, as well as the remakes THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, A BUG'S LIFE, and HAWK THE SLAYER (which was more of a Magnificent Five; I guess they didn't have the budget for the other two).

The original is a masterpiece. The remakes are all watchable in their own ways.
Well, not the Italian remake. The 1985 sci-fi remake "Battle Beyond the Stars" also sucked pretty hard, even though it had Robert Vaughn essentially reprising his own role from the 1960 western.

I think "A Bug's Life" is closer in plot to "The Three Amigos"--the plot being that actors are mistaken as heros (in fact, "Amigos" director John Landis express public annoyance over it)...done again in "Galaxy Quest," and I'm sure "!Three Amigos!" wasn't the Ur example of that plot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 11:35 PM

3,185 posts, read 2,764,668 times
As long as they don't remake the sequels, which were not nearly as good as the original.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:02 PM

12,233 posts, read 16,794,003 times
Watching this preview, I'm afraid I'm not going to like this movie. But I still want to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=DO8obpoIO0I

Old 07-18-2016, 07:16 PM

1,168 posts, read 505,659 times
Default Magnificent 8

The original had: Yul Brenner (fabulous actor with amazing screen presence), Steve McQueen (the king of cool), Eli Wallach (great character actor), Charles Bronson and James Coburn. One of the all time great soundtracks by Elmer Bernstein, a true classic. It was a remake of the also classic Seven Samurai. Hollywood in my opinion has long since run out of new ideas. That being said at least its not a CGI superhero flick.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:00 AM

Finally watched this last night. Does it surpass the original? Not at all. But it's still a fun Western. Worth watching definitely. Just don't expect a classic.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:14 AM

7,166 posts, read 5,012,201 times
Quote:
Finally watched this last night. Does it surpass the original? Not at all. But it's still a fun Western. Worth watching definitely. Just don't expect a classic.
I concur.

Denzel did a marvelous job as usual, and a few of the other 6 were pretty good. Nice touch, in places. I mean, who knew that Denzel could sling a six shooter around like that?

But the Gatling gun and all of that was too much, Vincent D'Onofrio was wrong for the part, and I sighed when the racist thing was raised. I saw Martin Sensmeier (The Indian) for the first time and liked his part.

Dang!, I sure miss Steve McQueen. And a young Eli Wallach could ride!

Old 04-20-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I concur.

Denzel did a marvelous job as usual, and a few of the other 6 were pretty good. Nice touch, in places. I mean, who knew that Denzel could sling a six shooter around like that?

But the Gatling gun and all of that was too much, Vincent D'Onofrio was wrong for the part, and I sighed when the racist thing was raised. I saw Martin Sensmeier (The Indian) for the first time and liked his part.

Dang!, I sure miss Steve McQueen. And a young Eli Wallach could ride!

What was the racist thing?

Old 04-20-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
What was the racist thing?
Was it when Denzel first road into town?

Yeah, that struck me as pretty odd too. A LOT of cowboys in the Old West were black. That's one thing the movies get wrong more often than not.

As much as I enjoyed the movie and loved the cast, there were a lot of "technical" mistakes in the movie that the director really should have caught. When they are first riding in to a town in one scene, it is a clear blue sky with one tiny cloud far, far away. They round the corner and the sky is suddenly filled with puffy white clouds. A few seconds later the sky is gray and hazy. The female lead in the movie also seemed to get a thorough face wash every time the camera was off her in a few scenes toward the end.

Still, despite all that, it was a fun movie. Definitely worth watching over a bowl of popcorn.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:36 AM

2,643 posts, read 869,251 times
Quote:
As much as I enjoyed the movie and loved the cast, there were a lot of "technical" mistakes in the movie that the director really should have caught. When they are first riding in to a town in one scene, it is a clear blue sky with one tiny cloud far, far away. They round the corner and the sky is suddenly filled with puffy white clouds. A few seconds later the sky is gray and hazy.
Reshoots, baby!

Quote:
The female lead in the movie also seemed to get a thorough face wash every time the camera was off her in a few scenes toward the end.
That kind of stuff went all the way through Kong: Skull Island. It goes for most movies made nowadays.

Quote:
Still, despite all that, it was a fun movie. Definitely worth watching over a bowl of popcorn.
I'm sure I'll catch it when it's on AMC.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Was it when Denzel first road into town?

Yeah, that struck me as pretty odd too. A LOT of cowboys in the Old West were black. That's one thing the movies get wrong more often than not.
A lot were black, but not many could hold a white man at gunpoint without question. Heck, not even these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ917jIBQR4

Then Denzel reels off his credentials which were pretty much those of the actual historical Bass Reeves--and Reeves' existence (some say he was the historical source of the Lone Ranger material, because he was often in disguise and did have an Indian companion) means, well, yeah, such a thing could happen because it actually did happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies