Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2016, 02:57 AM

601 posts, read 755,868 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm an artist working in animation biz, looking to branch out from what I do and possible delve into more storyboard work. I don't have much....any...formal story board/film training, and was wondering if you all could recommend any films that you think have excellent sequences/excellent cinematography in general. Live action or animated*, new or classic. Don't care about the country of origin or language.

(*Note, I've probably seen just about ANY animated movie you could recommend, but still please feel free to mention it! I'll probably give it a rewatch. )

I'm still..."new" to this I guess, but a few of my favorite films, cinematograhpy-speaking wise, are:

-Lawrence of Arabia
-Rear Window
-Millennium Actress
-Spirited Away
-Most Pixar movies? (hard to pick one, and their boarding style is VERY homogeneous between films IMO.)
-Fury Road
-Prince of Egypt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 08:47 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Freddie Young (LoA) also did "Ryan's Daughter" and "Dr Zhivago"

Don Peterman had some great short sequences in "Flashdance" - especially one sequence of her biking through wet streets.

The sequence in "2001:ASO" from the bone jump through the admission onto space station five is an oft-cited classic, as is the shower scene in "Psycho"

With storyboard, the focus is often more on prep for the editor and time/budget constraints than the cinematography. The shower scene required little set design or expense, but used sequence and quick cuts to great effect. "Cinematography" is more collaboration between cinematographer, director and artistic designer to flesh out the storyboard. A good example of where it comes together well is "Alien." I walked into that one cold when it first came out, and it transported me into a (expensive) world of Giger. If you can check out issues of ASC (American Cinematographer) it might be helpful.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:15 PM

601 posts, read 755,868 times
Thanks very much!!

I think boarding for animation, there is slightly less focus on budget...simply b/c at the end of the day, everything in the frame has to be drawn and/or modeled/textured/painted/rendered/etc, you can't really avoid designing the sets.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:40 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Anything Hitchcock.

I had a book I recently gave my niece, who wants to get into film editing, that was chock full of Hitchcock storyboards. A quick web search shows there is a lot of material available. The gold standard.

Last edited by take57; 04-28-2016 at 04:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies