Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 09:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Jon Berg will continue to report to WB's President, and Geoff Johns will continue to report to Diane Nelson, who's the head of DC Entertainment. Apart from giving them overseer status, I don't see too much of a difference. I do like that Johns and Ben Affleck will have (mostly) full-time input. But it's not like Zack's not a comics fan, either. BvS is a very TDKR-inspired film, and that's what so many people seem to have a problem with. Not me!
I noticed some parallels to Miller's The Dark Knight Returns BUT at the same time, I feel that it was it's own story and was only influenced by it. It was similar to Nolan taking cues and panels from comics but NOT the main idea from say a A Long Halloween and Knightfall for the movie. That said, what I liked was NOT what the typical fan liked. These movies HAVE to be made not just for me and you, when their budgets are the size of Batman V. Superman, they NEED to be as accepted as Nolan's movies were. Snyder has only really made two critical and financial success movies, 300 and Man of Steel. Most of his movies fall into only one of those except Sucker Punch which is universally panned and didn't make much money (89m off of a 82m budget so roughly 50% of it.) If Johns and Berg can make a universe that is a bit brighter (in tone and levity) perhaps it is a good thing.

That said, I don't like what I heard about Suicide Squad in that they had to re-cut and reshoot the ending. I hope that it turns out for the best but with how Batman V. Superman was handled, I am not sure anymore. I still want to be optimistic but Inono.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 01:15 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,522,365 times
For now at least Nolan's TDK series is the best version of Batman we have.. so far. Anyone who decides to do a Batman movie will be put up against Nolan's TDK. I hated the idea of Affleck as Batman but I was more then surprised that he pulled it off nicely. He screws it up down the road then that's another story.

Odds are the TDK series & of course 1989's Batman will stand the test of time.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:27 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Odds are the TDK series & of course 1989's Batman will stand the test of time.
Burton's Batman from 1989 already seems VERY dated. I give it props for bringing Batman back into the public consciousness again. but watching it now ... it's really pretty bad in places.

I loved Nolan's second movie. It is still one of the best super hero movies ever made. His first movie was flawed. Good, but flawed. His third movie was an incoherent mess.

I don't understand why WB has had two very good Batman filmmakers making great super hero movies for over 20 years (Bruce Timm and Paul Dini), yet WB doesn't seem to consider even the possibility of letting them do a major theatrical release. It baffles me. They have two geniuses onhand, yet they continue to hand the rein to hacks.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:45 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I noticed some parallels to Miller's The Dark Knight Returns BUT at the same time, I feel that it was it's own story and was only influenced by it. It was similar to Nolan taking cues and panels from comics but NOT the main idea from say a A Long Halloween and Knightfall for the movie.
Correct. That's what I meant by "inspired." Zack drew inspiration from that primarily (tone, characterizations, story aspects). That was the very first thing out of his mouth at Comic Con in 2013 when it was announced "what" exactly the next film would be.

Quote:
That said, what I liked was NOT what the typical fan liked. These movies HAVE to be made not just for me and you, when their budgets are the size of Batman V. Superman, they NEED to be as accepted as Nolan's movies were. Snyder has only really made two critical and financial success movies, 300 and Man of Steel. Most of his movies fall into only one of those except Sucker Punch which is universally panned and didn't make much money (89m off of a 82m budget so roughly 50% of it.) If Johns and Berg can make a universe that is a bit brighter (in tone and levity) perhaps it is a good thing.
People just can't seem to undo their umbilical attachment to Richard Donner's Superman (even though Superman Returns showed that won't necessarily work today, either). I think half of Justice League may even involve Superman as Darkseid's thrall per the "Knightmare" sequence in BvS. Myself, I'm like "Bring it!" It's not like there haven't been storied that featured a "possessed" Superman before. But people have to complain. They want Supes rescuing kittens because all the firemen are cooking chili.

You watch Legends of Tomorrow, right? That show is perfectly balanced. I mean perfectly.

Quote:
That said, I don't like what I heard about Suicide Squad in that they had to re-cut and reshoot the ending. I hope that it turns out for the best but with how Batman V. Superman was handled, I am not sure anymore. I still want to be optimistic but Inono.
I've not heard about the ending proper being recut/reshot. General reshoots are a part of the process.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I've not heard about the ending proper being recut/reshot. General reshoots are a part of the process.
Reshoots are common practice.

But Suicide Squad had studio-mandated reshoots after the WB suits started panicking over the BvS reception.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Reshoots are common practice.

But Suicide Squad had studio-mandated reshoots after the WB suits started panicking over the BvS reception.
You could've stopped there. We've no idea what they added, or if they just reshot some stuff. I could see differences in Civil War just from the trailer, like when RDJ says "So was I!"

Btw, Mike Kalinowski of Popcorn Talk said the scene with RDJ and Alfre Woodard was a last-minute addition to Civil War after the movie had been in the can for some time. They've must've felt the story was lacking some gravitas (and they were right).

Old 05-23-2016, 10:48 AM

The word going around with the news of the "shake up" in DCCU leadership (and by shakeup I mean giving offish titles to those who were unofficially spearheading the effort) that it was to fix a messed up ending after there were rumors of adding humor to the film. That said, the trailers had a good amount of dark humor to them prior to this announcement.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Correct. That's what I meant by "inspired." Zack drew inspiration from that primarily (tone, characterizations, story aspects). That was the very first thing out of his mouth at Comic Con in 2013 when it was announced "what" exactly the next film would be.

People just can't seem to undo their umbilical attachment to Richard Donner's Superman (even though Superman Returns showed that won't necessarily work today, either). I think half of Justice League may even involve Superman as Darkseid's thrall per the "Knightmare" sequence in BvS. Myself, I'm like "Bring it!" It's not like there haven't been storied that featured a "possessed" Superman before. But people have to complain. They want Supes rescuing kittens because all the firemen are cooking chili.

You watch Legends of Tomorrow, right? That show is perfectly balanced. I mean perfectly.
The problem is is that the budget of Batman V. Superman was super high as was the marketing budget. I wouldn't mind an evil Superman so long as it isn't the weird clone from Superman 3. I am OK with Snyder's take. I don't love it nor hate it. The movie going audience for the most part is the same as I.

As for Legends, I watched it early on but would easily forget about it and/or lose interest. I am like 9 episodes back. And this was before getting busy with my brother's wedding and then work. I like Hawkgirl and Firestorm but that's it. The rest of the characters, I am meh on.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:58 AM

Check out the rest of this first season of Legends. The finale was very good. White Canary's badass. I believe they're planning a big four-way crossover arc since Supergirl is now on the network. That will be nifty.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
You could've stopped there. We've no idea what they added, or if they just reshot some stuff.
Yup. Initial "rumor" (which you should never take too seriously) said that it was to inject more humor into a very dark movie. But then the actors and director said it was to add more action. That everything is fine, nothing to see here, move along, move along. In the era of constant spin, we'll never know for sure.

But really, in the end it doesn't matter. All that matter is if the final movie is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies